Metro-East News

Police: Man killed by officers in St. Louis County spoke of ‘black revolution’

Police in St. Louis County are handling an officer-involving shooting that happened Friday night in Jennings, Mo., and left one person dead.

The deceased was identified as Thaddeus McCarroll, 23, of Jennings, who according to police had been acting in a strange manner and spoke of a “black revolution.”

St. Louis County Police Department gave the following account of the shooting:

At 9:21 p.m., officers from the St. Louis County Police Department's City of Jennings Precinct responded to a residence in the 9200 block of Riverwood Drive for an armed subject. Officers responded and contacted the owner of the residence outside, who stated she wanted her son, later identified as Thaddeus McCarroll, 23, to be removed from her residence due to his behavior, which she stated was not normal.

She told officers on scene that her son had locked her out of the house and was armed with a knife. She further stated the subject was talking about going on a “journey” and a “mission” and mentioned a “black revolution.” Officers could see the subject through the front window of the residence, walking around the inside of the house with several knives and a Samurai sword.

Several attempts were made by initial responding officers to speak with McCarroll and have him come out of the residence, however all attempts were unsuccessful. At 10:30 p.m., a supervisor on scene declared the situation to be an armed, barricaded subject, and requested assistance from the Tactical Operations Unit. The Tactical Operations Unit responded, took control of the scene, and began negotiations with the man. After approximately one hour of negotiations, the man exited the residence armed with a knife in one hand, and a bible in the other.

Tactical Officers on scene began giving loud, verbal commands to McCarroll, ordering him to drop the weapon. A tactical negotiator tried to establish a dialogue with the subject, continuing to ask him to put the knife down and come speak with them so they could resolve the situation in a peaceful manner.

McCarroll started walking towards officers still armed with the knife. As he got closer, one of the tactical officers fired a less-lethal round at the man in an attempt to disarm him. The less-lethal round struck the man, but it had no effect.

The man immediately charged the officers at a full run with the knife still in hand. Fearing for their safety, two officers shot the man multiple times. A tactical medic immediately began life-saving measures, but McCarroll died at the scene.

The department uploaded video footage from police body cameras onto the department’s YouTube page.

Chief of Police Jon Belmar said, “This is another tragic situation where police officers had no other option than to use deadly force against an armed subject. A family lost a loved one tonight and that is tragic, there is no understating that. My officers took every precaution to safely resolve this situation, starting with over an hour-long attempt at negotiations with the subject.”

Belmar said police tried to resolve the issue without anyone getting hurt, “but this individual made the decision to refuse these attempts, and charge at officers with a deadly weapon.”