Metro-East News

Man sentenced for role in attempted armed robbery that resulted in friend's death

The friend of a man who was shot to death in May 2016 during an attempted armed robbery at a Fairview Heights apartment has been sentenced.

Jerami Clark, 25, was sentenced by Judge Zina Cruse in St. Clair County Court to 10 years in prison, with two years of mandatory supervised release after his sentence. It is a day-for-day sentence, which means he could be out in five years with good behavior and will get credit for time served.

Clark has been in the St. Clair County Jail since May 23, 2016. He has served 638 days.

Clark was one of three men that police say went to the home of Antonio Long to rob him. Instead, Long fatally shot Sean J. Redd in self-defense. Because Long was a convicted felon and therefore not allowed to have guns, he was sentenced to two years in prison.

Kerion N. Hammond, 21, of Washington Park, the third man involved in the robbery, was sentenced to 20 years in prison in August for murder in connection with an armed robbery.

Police say Hammond had been at a party in Long's apartment on May 17, 2016. He left the party and later returned with Clark and Redd in order to rob Long of money and drugs, according to court documents. Long said Redd was armed and wearing a ski mask. Redd was shot multiple times, and Long was shot in the foot.

Hammond's plea deal meant the charge of first-degree murder was dismissed, and he instead pleaded guilty to aggravated battery with a firearm. Under Illinois law, a person who commits a felony can be charged with murder if someone dies during the commission of the crime.

During his statement to the court, Clark asked Cruse, the judge, to show mercy. He reminded her that this was his first felony charge and he has family in the area.

Before handing down the 10-year sentence, Cruse reminded Clark that his first felony was "a doozy," as prosecutor Jason Emmanuel had said earlier.

"Someone died," she said. "I know it was your friend ... if there’s a gun in somebody's hands, the contemplation should be that somebody could get hurt."

Fairview Heights Police Lt. Mike Hoguet, who is serving as deputy commander of the Major Case Squad, said one suspect is in custody in the Fairview Heights fatal shooting of Sean J. Redd of Washington Park.