Metro-East News

Firefighters extinguish Belleville-area apartment fire

Northwest St. Clair County Fire Protection District firefighters responded to a small fire in an apartment in unincorporated Belleville on Thursday morning.
Northwest St. Clair County Fire Protection District firefighters responded to a small fire in an apartment in unincorporated Belleville on Thursday morning. klandis@bnd.com

A smoke detector helped alert a quick-acting resident to a fire in his apartment Thursday in unincorporated Belleville, according to a local fire chief.

The resident of an apartment in the 700 block of South 28th Street heard the smoke detector near his bathroom go off shortly after 11:30 a.m. and he quickly called 911, Northwest St. Clair County Fire Protection District Chief Chester Borkowski said.

Only three blocks away, firefighters arrived shortly after the resident called, Borkowski said.

A faulty exhaust fan caused a small fire in the ceiling, according to the chief. The fire extinguished mostly on its own, but firefighters checked to make sure it hadn't spread, Borkowski said. Damage was only minor.

The resident asked not to be named, but said he and his pit bull mix were doing fine.

Signal Hill Fire Department also assisted in responding to the fire.

Kelsey Landis: 618-239-2110, @kelseylandis

  Comments