Vacant Centreville home burns
Firefighters from three departments battled a fire that damaged a vacant home at 414 N. 59th St. in Centreville on Friday afternoon.
Camp Jackson, Golden Gardens and Midway firefighters responded, as did Centreville police. Two MedStar ambulances stood by.
Gray smoke seeped through the eaves of the home and out of its chimney. Windows on both the north and south sides of the home were blown out. Vinyl siding melted away from around a south window and the gutters overhead had melted.
Firefighters at the scene said the home is vacant. The cause of the fire is unknown, but they could not rule out the possibility that squatters or children playing did something the spark the fire.
By 1:45 p.m., the fire was under control and firefighters were tearing away interior walls and exterior siding to ensure hot spots within the home’s walls were doused.
It’s the second time firefighters responded to the home in less than a year.