A heat advisory that blanketed the metro-east Tuesday is expected to remain in place until 7 p.m. Wednesday.
According to the National Weather Service, the temperature reached a high of 93 Tuesday afternoon when the heat index peaked at 102.
On Wednesday, it will be even hotter with a high that will reach 96 with a heat index of 104. There is a 30 percent chance of thunderstorms with the most likely time for rain coming before 1 p.m.
The weather service warns that high temperatures combined with high humidity could cause heat-related stress and illness. Very young children and the elderly are especially susceptible. People are warned to avoid prolonged work outdoors if possible, to seek air conditioning and to drink plenty of liquid.
Children and pets should not be left in cars where temperatures can reach lethal levels in minutes. If you don’t have air conditioning in your home or place of work, it is recommended that metro-east residents seek comfort at an area cooling shelter.
Skies will be mostly clear Wednesday night with a low of 73.
It will be sunny Thursday with a high of 95. But less humidity is expected to keep the heat index below 100.
Thursday night, it will be mostly clear with a low of 68.
Cooling shelters available across the metro-east:
- State Division of Rehabilitation Services, 601 S. High St. Open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Public Library, 121 E. Washington St. Open Monday through Thursday from 9 a.m. until 8 p.m.
- Salvation Army Community Center, 20 Glory Place. Open Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. - noon and from 1 p.m. until 2:30 p.m.
- Public Library, 140 Cahokia Park Drive. Open Monday through Thursday from 9 a.m. until 7:30 p.m.
- Collinsville Township Senior Citizens Center, 420 E. Main St. Open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Public Library, 408 W. Main St. Open Monday through Thursday from 9 a.m. until 8 p.m.
East St. Louis
- Holy Angel Catholic Urban Programs, 1410 N. 37th St. Open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. - 8 p.m.
- Illinois Department of Human Services, 225 N. 9th St. Open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. until 5 p.m.
- Lessie Bates Davis Neighborhood House, 1200 N. 13th St. Open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Salvation Army Community Center, 616 N. 16th St. Open Monday through Thursday from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m.
- City Library, 2870 N. 44th St. Open Tuesday through Thursday from noon until 8 p.m.
- Public library, 10017 Bunkum Road. Open Monday through Thursday from 10 a.m. until 8 p.m.
- Caseyville Township Office, 10001 Bunkum Road, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m.
- Public Library, 112 S. Kansas St. Open Monday through Thursday from 9 a.m. - 9 p.m.
- Police Department Community Room, 149 N. Main St. Open Tuesday and Wednesday from 8 a.m. – 9 p.m.
- Glen Carbon Centennial Library, 198 S. Main St. Open Monday – Thursday 9 a.m. – 8 p.m.
- Granite City Township, 2060A Delmar Ave. Open 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
- Illinois Department of Human Services, 1925 Madison Ave. Open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. until 5:30 p.m.
- Salvation Army of Southwest Madison County, 3007 E. 23rd St. Open Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. until noon and from 1-4 p.m.
- Public Library, 314 W. St. Louis St. Open Monday through Thursday from 10 a.m.-7 p.m.
- St. Paul’s United Church of Christ, 123 E. Dee St. Open Monday through Friday from noon until 6 p.m.
- Leu Civic Center, 213 N. Market. Open Monday through Thursday from 9 a.m.-8 p.m.
- Jarvis Township Senior Citizens Center, 410 Wickliffe. Open 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.