Officials are working to cool down Touchette Regional Hospital, in Centreville, where a fire was reported Wednesday afternoon.
St. Clair County EMA Director Herb Simmons said more than 30 patients were affected, but no injuries were reported. The fire caused the hospital to lose its air conditioning. Generators and portable AC units were put in place to cool the building, according to Simmons.
By 8:40 p.m., Simmons said officials provided an update: Mechanical parts are set to be delivered Thursday morning to fix the AC. First responders remained on scene Wednesday night to cool down the building.
The county EMA said patients are resting comfortably and are being monitored by hospital staff. The hospital is not accepting patients until further notice.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.