Dangerously hot temperatures are back in the forecast Wednesday for the metro-east.
A heat advisory has been issued by the National Weather Service with a high temperature that is expected to reach 99 -- just three degrees short of the all-time record temperature for June 22 in the St. Louis area, 102, set in 1930.
The heat index will reach up to 107 under sunny skies. But there is a 20 percent chance of an isolated thunderstorm or two.
“We’re in hot pattern and, while Wednesday looks like it’s going to be the worst day by far, there isn’t a lot of relief in the form of rainfall for at least a week,” National Weather Service meteorologist Patrick Walsh said. “There are only slight chances of precipitation through next Thursday.”
Heat shelters opened across the metro-east Wednesday to give people without air conditioning a chance to get some relief.
Meanwhile, local schools and camps have brought outdoor summer activities indoors or canceled them altogether.
“We’re not going to have any outdoor camps or anything like that,” Belleville District 201 Superintendent Jeff Dosier said. “Anything we had scheduled for today was in the morning when it was cooler. So they’re already done.”
District 7 in Edwardsville also canceled all outdoor activities scheduled for after 10 a.m.
Skies will become partly cloudy Wednesday night with a low of 78. Winds will gust at up to 23 mph.
Walsh said it will still be hot Thursday. But the temperature will fall at least enough to take the edge off.
On Thursday, the high will reach 94 with a heat index of 102. There is a 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms with the best chance of rain coming after 1 p.m.
Thursday night, the low will be 68 under mostly cloudy skies.
Things will cool off a little bit Friday with a high of 89 and partly sunny skies.
It will be mostly cloudy Friday night with a low of 72.
The extended forecast calls for a 30 percent chance of thunderstorms both Saturday and Sunday with a high in the low to mid 90s.
Cooling shelters available across the metro-east:
- State Division of Rehabilitation Services, 601 S. High St. Open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Public Library, 121 E. Washington St. Open Monday through Thursday from 9 a.m. until 8 p.m.
- Salvation Army Community Center, 20 Glory Place. Open Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. - noon and from 1 p.m. until 2:30 p.m.
- Public Library, 140 Cahokia Park Drive. Open Monday through Thursday from 9 a.m. until 7:30 p.m.
- Collinsville Township Senior Citizens Center, 420 E. Main St. Open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Public Library, 408 W. Main St. Open Monday through Thursday from 9 a.m. until 8 p.m.
East St. Louis
- Holy Angel Catholic Urban Programs, 1410 N. 37th St. Open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. - 8 p.m.
- Illinois Department of Human Services, 225 N. 9th St. Open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. until 5 p.m.
- Lessie Bates Davis Neighborhood House, 1200 N. 13th St. Open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Salvation Army Community Center, 616 N. 16th St. Open Monday through Thursday from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m.
- City Library, 2870 N. 44th St. Open Tuesday through Thursday from noon until 8 p.m.
- Public library, 10017 Bunkum Road. Open Monday through Thursday from 10 a.m. until 8 p.m.
- Caseyville Township Office, 10001 Bunkum Road, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m.
- Public Library, 112 S. Kansas St. Open Monday through Thursday from 9 a.m. - 9 p.m.
- Police Department Community Room, 149 N. Main St. Open Tuesday and Wednesday from 8 a.m. – 9 p.m.
- Glen Carbon Centennial Library, 198 S. Main St. Open Monday – Thursday 9 a.m. – 8 p.m.
- Granite City Township, 2060A Delmar Ave. Open 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
- Illinois Department of Human Services, 1925 Madison Ave. Open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. until 5:30 p.m.
- Salvation Army of Southwest Madison County, 3007 E. 23rd St. Open Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. until noon and from 1-4 p.m.
- Public Library, 314 W. St. Louis St. Open Monday through Thursday from 10 a.m.-7 p.m.
- St. Paul’s United Church of Christ, 123 E. Dee St. Open Monday through Friday from noon until 6 p.m.
- Leu Civic Center, 213 N. Market. Open Monday through Thursday from 9 a.m.-8 p.m.
- Jarvis Township Senior Citizens Center, 410 Wickliffe. Open 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.