A Highland girl was among 25 students at Mater Dei Catholic High School in Breese to earn valedictorian honors for the class of 2017.
Sarah Schriewer, who plans to attend St. Louis College of Pharmacy, was one of nine Highland students among the class of 120. Schriewer was also a member of the National Honor Society and received the Mathematics Award, Science Award, Spanish Award, Catholic Relief Services Global Advocate Award, St. Vincent de Paul Society Award, “The Knight” Yearbook Award and English Award. She was also named an Illinois State Scholar, and as such, was also awarded a Dorothy Ratermann Scholarship.
Other Mater Dei graduates from Highland were:
▪ Courtney Abbott: Industrial Education Award
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to Belleville News-Democrat
▪ Danielle Dant: National Honor Society
▪ Peyton Dermody: National Honor Society, St. Vincent de Paul Society Award, Teens for Life Award, Industrial Education Award
▪ Gabe Foppe: Industrial Education Award, Art Award
▪ Grant Foppe: Industrial Education Award
▪ Danielle Padak: Student Ambassador Award
▪ Aften Richter: National Honor Society
▪ Lukas Whitten
As a class, the 2017 Mater Dei graduates combined to provide nearly 14,000 hours of service related to the Works of Mercy. The class also included 54 Eucharistic ministers, 37 Youth Faith Formation catechists, 27 Illinois State Scholars and two National Merit Commended Scholars, and earned over 2,260 hours of college credit. Mater Dei 2017 graduates will attend nearly 40 different post-secondary institutions.