HSHS St. Joseph’s Hospital (SJH) in Highland is introducing a new format for its Cancer Support Group. Instead of meeting on a monthly basis, the hospital’s Cancer Support Group will introduce in April a new seven-week format for participants to meet. Each week, a new topic of emphasis will be highlighted by a guest facilitator.
“After conducting a review of the Cancer Support Group’s previous format, it became apparent that a more focused program and series of coordinated meetings would be more beneficial for participants,” says Jeannie Korte, manager of spiritual care at St. Joseph’s Hospital.
The first offering of this new, seven-week Cancer Support Group program begins on Thursday, April 16 and runs through Thursday, May 28. The group will meet from 6:30 to 8 p.m. each week. The preliminary seven-week program schedule is as follows:
• April 16: “Introduction,” a review of program agenda.
• April 23: “American Cancer Society Resources,” with scheduled speaker ACS representative Nora Evans.
• April 30: “Nutritional Support and Alternative Care,” with scheduled speaker Cindy Hartmann, St. Joseph’s Hospital registered dietitian.
• May 7: “HSHS Cancer Care Services,” with scheduled speaker Dr. Jane Manalo, a triple-board certified oncologist and member of St. Joseph’s Hospital medical staff.
• May 14: “Stress Management and Self Care,” with scheduled speaker Eleanor Schumacher, who will talk about of yoga and stress relief.
• May 21: Spiritual and Religious Care.”
• May 28: “Put all the Pieces Together — Have a Plan.”
Sponsored by the Pastoral Care Department at the new St. Joseph’s Hospital in Highland, the Cancer Support Group offers support and encouragement to anyone with any form of cancer and provides an opportunity for patients, families and friends to learn about diagnosis management resources and coping strategies to address physical, emotional and spiritual health.
There is no fee for participation in this new, seven-week support group, however, registration is required. Call the St. Joseph’s Hospital Pastoral Care Department at (618) 651-2980 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to sign-up.