On Friday, April 24, O’Fallon Toastmasters will celebrate their 54th anniversary since becoming a chartered organization (1961).
It continues to perform its mission: “The mission of a Toastmasters club is to provide a mutually supportive learning environment in which every member has the opportunity to develop and practice communication and leadership skills, which in turn foster self-confidence and personal growth.”
No formal recognition is planned. The current members will note the anniversary at its normal 7 p.m. Thursday meeting. The public is always invited to any meeting. The club’s assigned number is No. 994 within Toastmasters International. It was among the first 1,000 clubs organized worldwide. Currently, there are about 330,000 members in about 14,600 clubs representing 122 countries.
Some recent awards and recognitions earned by the club via its members include:
• 40th Anniversary Award;
• Annual Club Membership Award;
• Distinguished Club 20-29 Award, 1994-95;
• Distinguished Club30-39 Award, 1996-97;
• Governor’s 20 Award;
• Governor’s 30 Award;
• President’s Distinguished Club, 1999-2000;
• President’s Distinguished Club, 2000-01;
• President’s Distinguished Club, 2001-02;
• President’s Distinguished Club, 2002-03;
• President’s Distinguished Club, 2003-04;
• Select Distinguished Club, 1995-96;
• Select Distinguished Club, 1998-99;
• Select Distinguished Club, 2004-05;
• Select Distinguished Club, 2005-06;
• Distinguished Club, 2009-10;
• Distinguished Club, 2010-11;
• Distinguished Club, 2011-12;
• Distinguished Club, 2012-13;
• Select Distinguished Club 2013-14.
Beyond being a club officer, members have been Area Governors, Division Governors, District Governors (including the first woman District Governor) and International Directors.
The members represented many careers. These include military service (past and present), emergency medicine, computer services, politics, retirees, graduate students, etc. O’Fallon Toastmasters No. 994 has had over 56 sets of officers and at least 20 members every year.
The original members (with familiar names) from April 24, 1961, were (as listed on the charter): C. Ritchey Smiley, Delbert C. Corbier, M.K. Schwarz, George E. Thompson, Jr., Phillip E. Bell, Leo B. Obernuefeniann, Louis Feher, Patrick J. Fleming, Ralph A. Carson, Carl M. Jordan, Harry Merkel, Ralph E. Keller, Joe B. Hindman, Marvin J. Lautz, Phillip W. Schildknecht, Harold A. Proffitt, Jerimiah G. Crise, Lyman M. Marshall, Jack H. Schwarz, John C. Goodman, Henry A. Schwarz, Joseph P. Keck, Jr., and Dan Hertenstein.
They originally met in the Jungle Club (long since destroyed). The 27 members of the current club meet from 7-8:55 p.m. every Thursday night in the Community Financial Center, 800 S. Lincoln, O’Fallon. Casual attire
For more information, visit: http://ofallon.toastmastersclubs.org (for the local club).