Scott Field in the 1920s was home to a lighter than air fleet, including airship TC-6 seen here above the field’s $1.2 million, 800- by 200- by 180-foot hangar. The TC designation was for “training coastal” but the ships were used for observation, racing and on Sept. 10, 1925, one at Scott linked up with a Sperry Messenger bi-plane to perform one of the first air refueling missions.
Scott Field in the 1920s was home to a lighter than air fleet, including airship TC-6 seen here above the field’s $1.2 million, 800- by 200- by 180-foot hangar. The TC designation was for “training coastal” but the ships were used for observation, racing and on Sept. 10, 1925, one at Scott linked up with a Sperry Messenger bi-plane to perform one of the first air refueling missions. File photo
Scott Field in the 1920s was home to a lighter than air fleet, including airship TC-6 seen here above the field’s $1.2 million, 800- by 200- by 180-foot hangar. The TC designation was for “training coastal” but the ships were used for observation, racing and on Sept. 10, 1925, one at Scott linked up with a Sperry Messenger bi-plane to perform one of the first air refueling missions. File photo