I spent a recent weekend in Morton Grove celebrating my class reunion. On Monday, Aug. 17, I was at O’Hare at 9:30 a.m. waiting for the 1:15 p.m. flight to Lambert.
After several delays, at 4 p.m. the flight was canceled “due to bad weather in the Detroit area” where my plane was departing for O’Hare. We were told to re-book.
There were two choices, both of them for Tuesday, Aug. 18: 1) possible room on a plane late Tuesday, if seats were available; or 2) a 9:30 a.m. flight to Washington, D.C., which had flights to St. Louis with seats available. (American Airlines was not paying hotel bills for the overnight stay because the cancellation was not due to a mechanical problem.)
I called my granddaughter who was meeting me. She suggested I fly to Bloomington on Tuesday and she would drive from St. Louis and meet me there. Bloomington was also a 9:30 a.m. flight but it would be 25 minutes in the air rather than 4 1/2 hours including layover time. With my bad back, sitting for three hours in a car is hard, but I re-booked.
It wasn’t until I met her at Bloomington that I learned that it was not bad weather in Detroit that caused the cancellation — it was the concern for our safety from Ferguson antagonizers both in Detroit and St. Louis. I guess the cancellation was safer than possibly being in Interstate 70’s roadblock.
Sharron A. Lindsey