Most people know the comedian Jeff Foxworthy and his “You might be a redneck if” jokes. Well, I think Illinois government should have its own category, too. Try this:
▪ You know you’re in Illinois if the state gambling division has to give you IOUs for winnings on lotto.
▪ You know you’re in Illinois if unemployment is supposedly dropping but the only new development is more road work on the highways.
▪ You know you’re in Illinois when the latest grand opening of a business is a bar — again.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to Belleville News-Democrat
▪ You know you’re in Illinois when excitement builds around a future soccer complex that reminds you of the shooting complex, which reminds you of the Mid-America irport.
▪ You know you’re in Illinois when you realize workers’ comp claims exceed that of new business revenue for the year.
▪ You know you’re in Illinois when you realize most of the folks in state and county government are all relations, in-laws, or current lovers.
▪ You know you’re in Illinois when lawyers’ business signs outnumber all others 10 to 1.
▪ You know you’re in Illinois when the parole board has more criminals on it than the prisons.
No wonder Illinois is such a magnet for new business, ideas and development. We’re going to need a fence to control the influx of people begging to get in.