Sports

Belleville boxer’s fight is cancelled

Belleville welterweight Quontez McRath's fight cancelled

Quontez "King Moo" McRath was scheduled for his sixth professional fight Friday, but the seven bout card was cancelled when other boxers didn't receive a routine medical clearance. McRath, who now lives in Las Vegas, was at the Belleville Boxing C
Up Next
Quontez "King Moo" McRath was scheduled for his sixth professional fight Friday, but the seven bout card was cancelled when other boxers didn't receive a routine medical clearance. McRath, who now lives in Las Vegas, was at the Belleville Boxing C

Welterweight boxer Quontez McRath made a 1,600-mile, three-hour flight from Las Vegas back home to Belleville just in time to learn that his sixth professional fight had been canceled.

McRath, native of East St. Louis and a graduate of Belleville West, was scheduded to fight Lavelle Hadley (2-1), of Youngstown, Ohio as part of a seven-bout card at the New Ambassador Hotel in St. Louis. But the event was called off when several fighters failed to receive routine medical clearance, said McRath’s trainer Ken Reilly.

“I’m kind of upset because of fans came up to buy tickets, to meet me,” said McRath. “But it’s OK, we’ll be back to try it again.”

McRath was at the Belleville Boxing Club, a non-for-profit gym at Bellevue Park Plaza started by Reilly, to meet fans and other boxers Thursday night. He made his professional debut in Sept. 2014 and is 5-0 since, attaining a rank of No. 715 out of 1,564 welterweights in the world by BoxRec.

Reilly said he hopes the event can be rescheduled within the month.

  Comments