Here are the weekly Belleville News-Democrat Game Balls given to area volleyball players for some top performances:
- O’Fallon senior right-side hitter and setter Mackenzie Koester helped lead the Panthers to a 5-0 record and the championship of the Lincoln Tournament. Her stats for an impressive weekend that helped her earn a spot on the all-tournament team included 48 assists, 11 kills, seven aces and six block assists. On the season, Koester has 57 kills, 52 digs, 76 assists and 15 service aces.
- Belleville West junior Kaylee Hanger had a season-high 20 kills last Thursday in a road victory over Mater Dei. Hanger also helped the Maroons win the championship of the Jacksonville Tournament with 39 kills and 24 digs, with senior outside hitter Nikki Gaskill earning all-tournament honors at Jacksonville by collecting 30 kills and eight blocks with a .483 hitting percentage.
- Columbia senior middle hitter Jordan Hausmann racked up 24 kills and 14 blocks in four games last weekend to help the unbeaten Eagles win the Mascoutah Tournament championship. Seven of those kills and four blocks came in the championship match victory over host Mascoutah. Hausmann’s 36 blocks are a team high and her 69 kills rank third on the team.
- Columbia senior Alyssa Yochum sandwiched the ACT test in with the Mascoutah Tournament but still had 13 kills and eight blocks while playing in two of the Eagles’ four matches. She racked up seven kills and four blocks in the championship match against Mascoutah and had seven kills again Tuesday in a Cahokia Conference victory over Central.
- East St. Louis freshman Jamie Russell is among the St. Louis area and Illinois Class 4A leaders with 53 blocks this season for the Flyerettes.
- Edwardsville senior defensive specialist Megan Woll made the all-tournament team at the Effingham Nike Crosssroads Classic tournament and had nine service points and 22 digs against McCracken County. She upped that total to 11 service points Tuesday in the Tigers’ win over Triad and had 24 digs at the Crossroads Classic in a loss to St. Pius X. Woll leads the Tigers with 186 digs.
- Edwardsville junior Rachel Pranger, who continues to rank among the St. Louis area kill leaders (152, 5.07 per game), pounded down a season-high 20 kills Saturday in the Tigers’ win over McCracken County at the Crossroads Classic. She has reached double-figure kill totals nine times in 14 matches.
- Belleville East senior captain Derika Moore made the all-tournament team at the Lincoln Tournament, racking up 39 kills and 14 blocks in tourney play.
- Althoff senior Emily Myatt had 10 kills in the Crusaders’ loss to Mascoutah last Thusdaty while Louise Comerford had eight, with senior Katie Allard adding 15 digs and junior Annika Beal contributing 11 digs. All were season highs. On the season, Myatt has a team-high 63 kills and Comerford has 44 kills as a setter along with 20 services aces and 160 assists. Allard is averaging 4.87 digs per set with 112 this season.
- Valmeyer’s Jordyn Killy and Guin Kohnz came up big in a marathon 32-30, 25-27, 28-26 victory last week over Red Bud. Killy had 12 kills in that match and Kohnz finished with 24 assists. Both were also strong in Valmeyer’s fourth-place finish at the Benton Tournament, each earning all-tournament honors. Killy had 12 kills against Thompsonville, with Kohnz contributing a tourney-high 20 assists in the same match. Killy leads Valmeyer with 76 kills and Kohnz has a team-high 156 assists (5.38 per game).
- Wesclin won the Wood River-Marquette Tournament behind big performances by Ellie Wessel, Julia Friederich and Kaitlyn Hagarty, with Wessel and Friederich earning all-tourney honors. Wessel led the team with 64 assists, including a season-high 28 assists in the championship match. Friederich had 22 kills and five service aces at the tournament and racked up seven kills in a conference match against Freeburg. Hagarty had 36 digs at the tournament.
- Civic Memorial senior setter Sydney Marshall had 22 assists Monday in a win over rival Roxana and continues to run the Eagles’ offense and add veteran leadership. Marshall has 115 assists and averages 6.76 per game.
- New Athens junior setter and outside hitter Brooke Jansen made the all-tournament team at the New Athens-Marissa Labor Day Tournament. Jansen leads the team with 14 service aces and 67 assists.
- Gibault senior outside hiter Bailey Lehmann had a career-high 12 kills Monday in the Hawks’ victory over Granite City. Lehmann ranks second on the Hawks with 53 kills.
BND Girls Volleyball Rankings
Rankings for metro-east teams; voting by area coaches and News-Democrat staff. First-place votes are in parentheses.
Large school rankings (Class 3A-4A)
Also receiving votes: Belleville West (8-5), Freeburg (12-3), Highland (9-0), Alton (10-5), Civic Memorial (7-2), Waterloo (5-5), Central (4-6), Belleville East (2-4), Granite City (5-5)
Small school rankings (Class 1A-2A)
Also receiving votes: Carlyle (8-4), Valmeyer (7-4), Nashville (5-8), Sparta (5-8), Metro-East Lutheran (4-9), Dupo (4-6), Marissa (3-7)