Here are the Belleville News-Democrat Game Balls given to metro-east boys soccer players for some top performances in recent games:
▪ Althoff senior Stephen Waltrip scored two goals in the Crusaders’ 3-0 victory at Carbondale on Saturday in a South Seven Conference game. Waltrip added a penalty kick with 26 seconds to play in the second overtime Tuesday as the Crusaders slipped by Belleville West.
▪ Sam Spivey, a junior at Columbia, scored the only goal the Eagles needed in a 1-0 victory over Monroe County rival Gibault on Tuesday at Oerter Park in Columbia. Spivey connected lated in the first half, delivering a birthday present for his mom, Michelle. Spivey has four goals and four assists for the 7-0-1 Eagles, who have yet to allow a goal this season.
▪ Senior Riley Patterson, of Edwardsville, had a goal and an assist Tuesday to lead the Tigers to a 4-0 victory over Collinsville. The win put Edwardsville (8-0-1) in firm control of the race for the Southwestern Conference championship.
▪ Gibault senior Ryan Gool scored his first three goals of the season Tuesday as the Hawks dominated Freeburg 9-0.
▪ Lucas Rainwater, a senior at Granite City, had a goal and an assist Saturday as the Warriors defeated Springfield Sacred Heart-Griffin for their first victory of the season.
▪ Waterloo senior Ryan Stites collected two goals in the defending Class 2A state-champion Bulldogs’ 4-2 victory over Highland on Tuesday. In the previous game, a 5-1 win over Jerseyville on Saturday, Stites also netted two goals.
▪ Ben Huels, a senior at Waterloo, had two goals in the 5-1 decision over Jerseyville on Saturday. Huels, one of the best players in the metro-east, has 14 goals and seven assists to lead the Bulldogs (9-1-1).
▪ Christian Gonzalez, a sophomore at Mascoutah, scored both goals in the Indians’ 2-1 win over Freeburg on Monday, then contributed another goal in a 3-1 victory over Civic Memorial on Tuesday. Gonzalez has five goals and five assists for the Indians (5-3).
▪ Mater Dei senior Alex Loepker had two goals, giving him seven this season, as the Knights blanked Altamont 3-0 on Tuesday.
▪ Aris Ceza, a senior at O’Fallon, had a goal and three assists in a 5-1 triumph over Belleville East on Tuesday, helping the Panthers improve to 5-3-1. The assists were the first three of the season for Ceza.
▪ Jaden Deatherage, a junior at Triad, had two goals in a 3-0 win over Jerseyville on Tuesday.
▪ In Triad’s previous game, a 4-0 victory over Civic Memorial on Monday, senior Chase Jones had two goals. Jones leads the Knights in scoring with 11 goals and three assists.
BND Boys Soccer Rankings
Rankings for metro-east teams; voting by area coaches and News-Democrat staff. First-place votes are in parentheses.
Also receiving votes: Alton (6-2), Triad (6-4), Althoff (5-3), Belleville West (2-6-1), Gibault (5-5-1), Highland (5-3-1), Mascoutah (5-3).