Edwardsville sits atop the first News-Democrat Boys Soccer Poll of the season. The Tigers, who are 4-0-1, will play at O’Fallon at 6:30 p.m. Thursday:
BND Soccer Rankings
Rankings for metro-east teams; voting by area coaches and News-Democrat staff. First-place votes are in parentheses.
All classes (1A-3A)
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Also receiving votes: Civic Memorial (5-0), Triad (3-2), O’Fallon (2-1), Columbia (2-0), Granite City (0-1-2), Belleville West (1-3), Mascoutah (2-1), Central (4-2).
Here are the News-Democrat Game Balls awarded to metro-east players for top performances in the first week of the regular season:
▪ Kaleb Bassett for his five goals Tuesday against Staunton.
▪ Gibault senior Ben Mueth scored four goals Aug. 25 in a 6-2 victory over Mater Dei. Mueth leads the Hawks with six goals.
▪ Luis Gonzalez, a junior at Wesclin, had three goals Friday in a 4-1 win over Freeburg in the Metro Cup Tournament’s Adidas Bracket.
▪ Dalton Scace, a senior at Gibault, scored two goals Saturday in the Hawk’ 3-2 victory over Belleville West in the fifth-place game of the Metro Cup Tournament’s Nike Bracket.
▪ Senior Darien Ellis of Triad scored with 30 seconds to play Tuesday to lift the Knights to a 2-1 victory over O’Fallon.
▪ Charlie Shortsleeves, a senior at Mascoutah, scored two goals Aug. 24 against Metro-East Lutheran to help the Indians reach the championship game of the Metro Cup Tournament’s Adidas Bracket.
▪ Waterloo senior Philip Most had four goals Aug. 23 in the Bulldogs’ 7-2 victory over Belleville East.