Here are the weekly Belleville News-Democrat Game Balls given to area football players for some top performances in Week 2:
- East St. Louis running back Jarrell Anderson exploded for 235 yards and three touchdowns on 40 carries Saturday, including the game-winner with 28 seconds remaining, as the Flyers upended CBC 32-28.
- Edwardsville sophomore running back Dionte Rodgers rolled up 295 yards and five TDs on 27 carries Friday in the Tigers’ 48-27 victory over Rock Island. Rodgers’ big night included a 52-yard TD run late in the third quarter.
- O’Fallon senior running back Mason Hewitt racked up 500 yards of total offense Friday in the Panthers’ 48-36 win over Normal West. Hewitt had 275 yards and two TDs rushing and also piled up 225 yards on seven kick returns.
- Friday was a big night for Red Bud senior Ryan Hess as he rambled 238 yards and scored three TDs on only 13 carries in the Musketeers’ 52-27 Cahokia Conference victory over Wesclin. Hess. who has 393 yards rushing and five TDs through two games, also had a 79-yard kickoff return for a touchdown in the second quarter. Red Bud’s Logan Houba added a 99-yard interception return for a touchdown in the fourth quarter.
- Cahokia quarterback Wayne Grant completed 8-of-12 passes for 163 yards and five TDs Saturday as the Comanches (2-0) pounded Sumner 59-6. Grant has thrown nine TD passes in Cahokia’s first two games, including four in the season-opening win over Highland.
- Althoff running back Jaylon Bester had 168 yards and three touchdowns Saturday in the Crusaders’ 51-20 victory over Jefferson City (Mo.) Helias. Althoff’s Christian Wills and Stephon Belt each returned blocked punts for touchdowns in the win.
- Mater Dei senior quarterback Colin Schuetz ran for 147 yards and two TDs on only nine carries and also completed 14-of-25 passes for two more TDs in a 35-14 victory over Marquette. Mater Dei finished with 313 yards rushing on 40 carries.
- Carlyle quarterback Alex Huels completed 10-of-19 passes for 180 yards and two TDs and ran for another as the Indians outlasted Freeburg 44-40. Carlyle running back Donte Nettles added 131 yards and two TDs and receiver Tyler Siever caught five passes for 96 yards and a touchdown. Siever also was the defender on the final play of the game that helped deny a Freeburg touchdown.
- Highland sophomore receiver Sam LaPorta caught eight passes for 167 yards and two TDs in the Bulldogs’ victory over Mt. Zion. Highland quarterback Garrett Marti was 19-of-29 for 255 yards and two TDs.
- Columbia junior receiver Jordan Holmes had TD receptions of 52, 12 and 10 yards Friday in a 27-10 victory over Waterloo. Holmes also threw an 80-yard pass on a trick play to Mitch Daniels while Eagles senior Greg Long tossed three TD passes and had two interceptions on defense.
- Freeburg quarterback Bobby Tedesco ran for 227 yards and two TDs and threw for 153 yards and two TDs in a 44-40 loss to Carlyle.
BND Prep Football Rankings
Rankings for metro-east teams; voting by area coaches and News-Democrat staff. First-place votes are in parentheses.
Large school rankings (Class 5A-8A)
East St. Louis (5)
Also receiving votes: Belleville East (0-2), Highland (1-1), Triad (2-0), Granite City (1-1), Mascoutah (1-1), Alton (0-2), Waterloo (1-1)
Small school rankings (Class 1A-4A)
Also receiving votes: Carlyle (1-1), Red Bud (2-0), Nashville (1-1), Freeburg (1-1), Wesclin (1-1), Wood River (1-1)