Here are the weekly Belleville News-Democrat Game Balls given to area football players for some top performances in Week 3:
- Althoff senior running back Jaylon Bester blew up for 285 yards and three touchdowns on only nine carries Saturday in a 40-16 win at Mater Dei. The Miami (Ohio) recruit has 578 yards and seven TDs on only 33 carries this season, averaging a ridiculous 17.5 yards per carry. Althoff senior linebacker Bryson Strong helped hold Mater Dei in check with nine tackles while senior defensive tackle Christian Wills had eight tackles.
- Red Bud quarterback Griffin Ziebold was 12-for-20 passing for 259 yards and four TDs to help lead the 3-0 Musketeers past Carlyle 62-48. Red Bud running back Ryan Hess had 101 yards and four TDs and Musketeers receiver Gavin Rensing added four catches for 126 yards and two TDs.
- Highland quarterback Garrett Marti rolled up 200 yards rushing and two TDs on 20 carries in a 47-14 win over Effingham. Marti also completed 7-of-14 passes for 140 yards and a touchdown. Bulldogs running back Trent Rakers had 152 yards rushing with three TDs.
- Granite City quarterback Kendrick Williba had 111 yards rushing and three TDs on 11 carries before leaving the 63-49 win over Belleville East with a hip injury early in the second half. Williba also tossed two TD passes and threw for 133 yards. Warriors freshman running back Freddy Edwards, who replaced Williba at quarterback, finished with 177 yards and two TDs on 11 carries and caught two TD passes from Williba.
- East St. Louis receiver Charlando Robinson caught six passes for 134 yards and two TDs in the Flyers’ 58-13 Southwestern Conference win over Alton.
- Central running back Collin Thomas rolled up 166 yards and three TDs on only nine carries in a 47-0 Cahokia Conference win over Freeburg. Central linebacker Brice Haselhorst also had a big night with seven tackles, 2.5 sacks and 6.5 tackles for loss for minus-37 yards.
- Belleville West running back Kriston Davis had 126 yards and two TDs, including a 32-yard TD run, in the Maroons’ 34-23 SWC victory over O’Fallon. West quarterback Logan Betz was 15-of-23 for 199 yards and two TDs.
- Carlyle receiver Tyler Siever had a huge performance in a losing effort against Red Bud. Siever caught TD passes of 70, 30 and 20 yards from quarterback Alex Huels and also scored another TD on an 80-yard run.
- Triad senior running back Tom Kraudel racked up 140 yards and three TDs on seven carries in the Knights’ 34-7 victory over Mount Vernon.
- Edwardsville sophomore running back Dionte Rodgers had a 98-yard TD run and finished with 109 yards and two TDs on 10 carries in the Tigers’ 49-0 SWC win over Collinsville. Tigers quarterback Brenden Dickmann was 8-for-11 for 123 yards and two TDs.
- Columbia running back Colton Byrd had 127 yards rushing and ran for three TDs in a 42-0 Cahokia Conference win over Dupo. Eagles quarterback Greg Long completed all seven of his passes for 156 yards and two TDs.
BND Prep Football Rankings
Rankings for metro-east teams; voting by area coaches and News-Democrat staff. First-place votes are in parentheses.
Large school rankings (Class 5A-8A)
East St. Louis (4)
Also receiving votes: Granite City (2-1), Triad (3-0), Waterloo (2-1), Highland (2-1), Belleville East (0-3), Mascoutah (1-2), Alton (0-3)
Small school rankings (Class 1A-4A)
Also receiving votes: Red Bud (3-0), Nashville (2-1), Carlyle (1-2), Freeburg (1-2), Wesclin (1-2), Wood River (2-1)
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to Belleville News-Democrat