- Hot Jazz and Cool Blues — 8 p.m. Friday, Jacoby Arts Center, 627 E. Broadway, Alton. Featuring Miss Jubilee and The Humdingers. Jazz and R&B spanning 1920s-1950s. Tickets: $10 (at the door) or www.jacobyartscenter.org/events. Doors open at 7:30 p.m.. Cash bar available. Information: 618-462-5222.
- New Memphis — 8:30 p.m.-12:30 a.m. Friday-Saturday, Sit “N” Bull Saloon, 31 S. Mill St., New Memphis. Free. Rockn The Blues on Friday; Fallin’ Off The Wagon on Saturday.
- Jazz at the B’Eastro — 6-7 p.m. (social), 7-11 p.m. (dinner & dancing), 6-9 p.m. (silent auction), 9 p.m. (live auction), Saturday, Bellecourt Manor, 225 E. A St., Belleville. Sponsored by Belleville East Band & Orchestra Parents, featuring the Belleville East Jazz Band, Jazz Ensemble and Concert Jazz Orchestra. Special guest: Cornet Chop Suey. Proceeds support Belleville East Lancer Bands. Ticket or sponsorship information: firstname.lastname@example.org or 618-581-5929.
- Laney Jones & the Spirits — 2 p.m. Sunday, Espenschied Chapel, 317 County Road, Mascoutah. Tickets: $10 in advance (available at Bee Hollow Market, 217 E. Main St., Mascoutah), $12 at door.
- University of Evansville Choir — 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, Union United Methodist Church, 721 E. Main St., Belleville. Free-will offering will be taken. Reception follows concert. Choral-orchestral masterworks and unaccompanied music from the Renaissance through the present.
- Square Dance — 7-9:30 p.m. Friday, Caseyville Township Building, 10001 Bunkum Road, Fairview Heights. Sponsored by Dandy Dancers. Theme: New Dancer Dance. Kate Garrison calling.
- Country Dance — 8 p.m.-midnight — Friday, Swansea Improvement Association, 216 Service St., Swansea. Music by Cactus Moon Band. Free admission.
- Ballroom Dance — 7:30-10:30 p.m. Saturday, Belleville/Swansea Moose Lodge, 2425 N. Illinois St., Swansea. Music by The Casuals.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to Belleville News-Democrat
- Diva Night — 5-8 p.m. Thursday, downtown Belleville. Registration at Eye on Design, 309 E. Main St.. After party at Club Escapade, 133 W. Main St. Theme is “All Hearts!” Cost: $5 per Diva. Shopping in downtown Belleville with deals, discounts and fun.
- Mouse Races — 7 p.m. Friday, Collinsville VFW, 1234 Vandalia, Collinsville. Doors open at 6 p.m. Tickets: $15 per person in advance, $20 per person at the door; draft beer and soft drinks included. Adults only. Sponsored by the Collinsville Chamber of Commerce. Information: 618-344-2884.
- Frontier Gardening — Saturday, Fort de Chartres State Historic Site, 1350 Illinois Route 155 (4 miles west of Prairie du Rocher. Gardening presentation by Carol Kuntz, the fort’s volunteer “jardiniere.” Heirloom seed exchange, 10 a.m.-noon. At 1 p.m., presentation moves to “jardin potager” (kitchen garden. Learn to prepare raised beds for upcoming growing season and to give fruit trees the most important pruning of the year.
- “Porch and Parlor, a Woman’s Domain” — 2 p.m. Sunday, Monroe County History Museum, 724 Elaine Drive, Waterloo. Local librarian Sue Oerter will present a bicentennial program “to visit with a neighbor in the 1800s and experience a time when leisure was precious and time spent with another female was pure joy.” Free admission; donations appreciated. Museum will be open from noon to 3 p.m. to allow guests to tour the three galleries featuring the Bicentennial and Wheels exhibits and other turn-of-the-century transportation and commerce exhibits. Information: www.monroecountyhistorymuseum.org.
- Mouse Races — 7 p.m. Saturday, American Legion Post 485, 200 S. 5th St., Dupo. Doors open at 6 p.m., Draft beer and soda provided. Benefits veterans. Information: 618-337-3202
- Ancient Plants — 2 p.m. Sunday, Auditorium, Interpretive Center, Cahokia Mounds State Historic Site, Collinsville Road, Collinsville. Dr. Neal Lopinot will give a free lecture on research at nine Natice American sites in northeastern Missouri along a highway sknown as the Avenue of Saints. The sites span several thousand years, and comparing how Native Americans used plants and what changed over time can help fill in details about those cultures.
- 5K/10K Group Walk — 10 a.m. Tuesday, CMT YMCA, 1 Town Center Drive, Maryville. Register at 9:45 a.m. $3 fee. The walk will follow the bike trail to Drost Park; 10K walkers will continue into town and return to the YMCA via the bike trail.
- Schmidt Art Center — Through Feb. 25, Southwestern Illinois College, 2500 Carlyle Ave., Belleville. “Function & Ceremony: The Art of Melanesia” includes treasures from the college’s permanent collection of objects from Papua, New Guinea. Costumes, masks, canoe prows, spirit boards and food bowls. “Smile Like You Mean It” includes paintings by Paula Haniszewski, chairman of the SWIC Art Department. “Zen and the Art of Typewriter Tim” features the art of Tim Jordan, who incorporates typewriters and typewriter parts into his art.
- “The Other Family: Indentured Servants at Stephenson House” — 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturdays; noon-3 p.m. Sundays during February, Stephenson House, 409 S. Buchanan St., Edwardsville. Admission: $6 adults, $3 children (6-12), free (under 5). Learn about slavery in Illinois and the servants living at Stephenson house, read copies of runaway ads placed in area newspapers from 1817-1822 and participate in hands-on-activities. Information: 618-692-1818 or www.stephensonhouse.org.
- Aviston Fish & Chicken Fry — 4:30-7 p.m. Friday, American Legion Post 1239, 601 S. Clinton St., Aviston. Eat in or carry out. 618-228-7311.
- Caseyville Fish Fry — 4-7 p.m. Friday, Caseyville VFW Post 1117, 415 N. Long, Caseyville. Fish plates, desserts, sandwiches, burgers and more.
- Collinsville Fish Fry — 3-8 p.m. Friday, Collinsville VFW Post 5691, 1234 Vandalia, Collinsville. Eat in or carry out. Cod, catfish fillets, tilapia, sides.
- Collinsville Fish Fry — 3-8 p.m. Friday, Collinsville American Legion, 1022 Vandalia St., Collinsville. North Atlantic cod, whole catfish, Cajun cut-ups, crab cakes, sides, desserts. Information: 618-345-2508.
- Collinsville Fish Fry — 4-7:30 p.m. Friday, Knights of Columbus Hall, Illinois 157, Collinsville. Eat in or carry out. Fried/baked cod, catfish, sides. Senior plate starting at $4.99. 618-345-1492.
- Columbia Fish Fry — 4-8 p.m. Friday, Columbia American Legion, 375 E. Locust St., Columbia. Catfish fillets, cod, shrimp, hot dogs, (sandwich or plate with 2 sides), desserts. Eat in or carry out.
- Ellis Grove Fish Fry — 4-8 p.m. Friday, Ellis Grove Fire Department, 501 Eggemeyer Plaza, Ellis Grove. Cod, catfish, shrimp, buffalo. Sides: Baked beans, fries, onion rings, slaw, hush puppies, potato salad, fried pickles, tea, coffee, soda, water, beer. Accepting donations of clothes, toys, household items for the Red Cross. Military discount available.
- Fairview Heights Fish Fry — 3-8 p.m. Friday, Knights of Columbus Hall, 5420 Old Collinsville Road. Walton’s Fish Fry. Serving jack salmon and wild-caught grilled salmon. Homemade desserts. Carryouts: 618-632-5222.
- Freeburg Fish Bake & Fry — 4-7 p.m. Friday, St. Joseph’s Parish Center, 6 N. Alton St., Freeburg. Baked cod, fried cod loins (plate, sandwich or pound), shrimp, grilled cheese, spaghetti, baked potato, green beans, onion rings, French fries, homemade slaw, mac and cheese, dessert, refreshments. Sponsored by the Support Committee. Eat in or carry out. 618-539-4720.
- Granite City Fish Fry — 4-7 p.m. Friday, St. Elizabeth Church, Granite City. Cod, catfish, pollock, jack salmon, shrimp. Eat in or carry out.
- Highland Fish Fry — 4-7:30 p.m. Friday, VFW Post 5694, 1900 VFW Road, Highland. Eat in or carry out. 618-654-6367.
- Mascoutah Fish Fry — 5-8 p.m. Friday, Mascoutah VFW Post 7682, 620 Donaphan St., Mascoutah. Dine in or carry out. 618-566-2288.
- Millstadt Fish Fry — 11 a.m.-2 p.m., 4-8 p.m. Friday, Millstadt VFW Post, 200 Veterans Drive, Millstadt.
- Millstadt Fish Fry — 4-8 p.m. Friday, Millstadt Sportsmen’s Club, 4915 Schmidt Lane, Millstadt. Cod, shrimp, walleye, desserts. Carry-outs available at 618-476-1891.
- O’Fallon Fish Fry — 4-8 p.m. Friday, Knights of Columbus Hall, 402 E. U.S. 50, O’Fallon. Sponsored by KC and Ladies Auxiliary. Cod and bluegill, burgers, hot dogs, sides. Eat in or carry out. 618-632-6229.
- O’Fallon Fish Fry — 4-8 p.m. Friday, VFW Post 805, 221 W. First St., O’Fallon. Sponsored by Sgt. Charles A. Fricke VFW Post 805 and Ladies Auxiliary. Fried and grilled fish and chicken, homemade sides and desserts. Children’s menu. To-go orders delivered to car. 618-624-2651.
- O’Fallon Fish & Chicken Fry — 5-8 p.m. every Friday, O’Fallon American Legion, 109 N. Penn, O’Fallon. Carryouts available. 618-632-8879.
- Okawville Fish Fry — 5-8 p.m. Friday, American Legion Post 233, 205 N. Hanover St., Okawville. Eat in or carry out. 618-243-5528.
- Quail Club Fish Fry — 5-8 p.m. Friday, Quail Club, 8303 Concordia Church Road, Belleville. Cod, walleye, shrimp, wings, burgers, sides, desserts. Carryouts available. No phone orders.
- St. Henry Fish Fry — 4-7 p.m. Friday, Monsignor Voss Center, 5305 W. Main St., Belleville. Sponsored by St. Henry Women’s and Men’s organizations. Codfish (sandwich, plate or pound), baked salmon and soup, slaw, spaghetti, french fries, onion rings, cheese pizza. Carryouts available.
- St. Mary’s Fish Fry — 4-7:00 p.m. Friday, St. Mary Parish, basement, 1706 W. Main St., Belleville. Dine in or carry out. Cod or walleye, (sandwich, plate or by the pound), potato salad, French fries, onion rings, spaghetti, slaw, dessert.
- Scott VFW Fish Fry — 5-8 p.m. Friday, Scott VFW Post 4183, Belleville. Carryouts available. Order ahead: 618-746-9801.
- Scottish Rite Fish Fry — 4:30-7:30 p.m. Friday, Scottish Rite Masonic Bodies, 1549 Frank Scott Parkway West, Belleville. By the pound, plate, sandwich.
- Shiloh Fish Fry — 5-8 p.m. Friday, 100 Eagle Drive, Shiloh. Sponsored by Eagles No. 545. Cod, walleye, shrimp, chicken strip plates. Eat in or carry out. 618-624-5412.
- Summerfield Fish Fry — 5:30-8 p.m. Friday, Summerfield Lions Club, 100 E. Park St., Summerfield. 618-934-3841 or 618-334-3177.
- Swansea Fish Fry — 11 a.m.-8 p.m. Friday-Saturday, Swansea Fish Stand, 216 Service St., Swansea. Cod, walleye, shrimp. 618-222-7171.
- Troy VFW Fish Fry — 4-8 p.m. Friday, Troy VFW Post 976 and Ladies Auxiliary, 123-A W. Market St., Troy. Choice of cod, catfish, jack salmon, baked fish, chicken strips, shrimp. Dinners include bread and choice of two sides. Dine in or carry out. 618-667-8387.
- Pancake and Sausage Breakfast — 7-11 a.m. Saturday, St. John’s United Church of Christ, Summerfield. Pancakes, sausage, eggs, buscuits/gravy, drinks. Cost: $7 adults, $4 children (5-12), free (under 5).
- Pancake Breakfast — 8-11:30 a.m. Sunday, St. James Parish Center, 423 W. Madison St., Millstadt. Sausage, eggs, biscuits/gravy. Cost: $6 adults (12 & up), $3 children (5-11), free for children (under 5). Sponsored by Millstadt Boy Scouts Troop 622.
- Walton’s Chicken Dinner — 4-7 p.m. Tuesday, Knights of Columbus Hall, 5420 Old Collinsville Road, Fairview Heights. Homemade desserts. For carryouts, call 618-632-5222.
- Fried Chicken — 4-8 p.m. Wednesday, Millstadt VFW Post, 200 Veterans Drive, Millstadt. All you can eat. Adults $10; $8 seniors; $5 children (12 and younger). Sponsored by Millstadt VFW Post. 22.
- Cribbage — 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Knights of Columbus Hall, 1 Columbus Drive, Collinsville. Nine games against nine different opponents. Information: Phil at 618-288-7910 or Yvonne at 618-344-1521.
- Euchre Tournament — 7 p.m. Friday, Smithton Senior Center. Partner night.
- Cribbage — 7 p.m. Tuesday, Camelot Bowl, 801 Beltline Road, Collinsville. New players wanted. Information: Yvonne, 618-344-1521 or Phillip, 618-288-7910.
- Used Book Fair/Bake Sale — 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Thursday; 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Friday (everything half-price after 3 p.m.); 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday (everything half-price all day); 9 a.m.-10:30 a.m. Sunday ($3 per bag), 10:30 a.m.-noon (everything free), Breese American Legion, 575 N. Main St., Breese. Admission first day only: $6 from 10-11 a.m. and $3 from 11 a.m.-8 p.m. Bake sale items available from 10 a.m. Friday until sold out. Presented by HSHS St. Joseph-Breese Auxiliary.
- Wholesale Artwork Sale — 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday, Jailhouse Rock, 24 W. Missouri St., Trenton. Sponsored by Trenton American Legion Post 778. Discount wholesale artwork. Proceeds go toward veterans programs and to defer costs of operations of post.
- Rummage Sale — 9 a.m.-8 p.m. Thursday-Friday; 9 a.m.-noon Saturday, Aviston American Legion, 601 S. Clinton Aviston. Hosted by Aviston American Legion Auxiliary.
- “Meshuggah-Nuns” — 7:30 pm. Friday and Saturday; 2 p.m. Sunday, Turkey Hill Grange auditorium, Green Mount Road and Illinois 15, 1375 E. State Route 15, Belleville. Presented by The Brass Rail Players. Tickets: $15 adults; $12 seniors, students, military with ID; $6 (8th grade and under). Get tickets by calling 618-767-6016 or email@example.com.
- “Proof” — 7:30 p.m. Thursday-Saturday; 2 p.m. Sunday. Tickets are $12 general admission adults 18 and older; $10 seniors (65 & up), non-SIUE students, and all SIUE retirees, alumni, faculty and staff. SIUE students get free admission with a valid school ID. Tickets/information: 618-650-2774, 888-328-51698 ext. 2774.
- Meat Shoot — noon Sunday, Elks Club, Lincoln Trail and Illinois 161, Fairview Heights. Practice at 11:30 a.m. Meat and money rounds, cake raffles.
- Belleville — 7 p.m. Saturday, St. Luke’s Parish Center, 301 N. Church St.,Belleville. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. Sponsored by St. Clair County Bar Association. Cost: $150 per table of 8. Reservations: 618-277-8919.
- Freeburg — 7 p.m. Saturday, St. Joseph’s Parish Center, 6 S. Alton St., Freeburg. Trivia and silent auction. Doors open at 6 p.m. Cost: $12.50 per player (8 players maximum per table). Bring your own snacks, but no outside beverages. Sponsored by the Freeburg Children’s Athletic Association. Reservations: Cindy, 618-975-3014 or Curt, 618-978-7779.
How to send your event
- Deadline: noon Monday. What’s Happening runs events happening from Thursday though the next Wednesday in Thursday’s Lifestyle section.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax: 618-236-9773
- Mail: What’s Happening, c/o Lifestyle, 120 S. Illinois St., P.O. Box 427, Belleville, IL 62222-0427.
- Information: call 618-239-2537.
- Please include: Event, time, date, location, admission cost and special features. Also, a daytime phone number we can contact if we need more information.