- Loudon Wainwright II — 8 p.m. Thursday, Wildey Theatre, 252 N. Main St., Edwardsville. Grammy-winning singer-songwriter. Reserved tickets: $32.50; call 618-307-1750 or www.wildeytheatre.com.
- Kaskaskia Riverhouse — Friday-Sunday, Kaskaskia Riverhouse, 1 Harbor Point Drive, New Athens. 7 p.m. Friday, 20th Street Garage Band; 3-6 p.m. Saturday, Miranda Hagan; 3-7 p.m. Sunday, Boulderdash.
- Dennis Swanberg and The Ball Brothers — 7 p.m. Friday, St. Matthew United Methodist Church, 1200 Moreland Drive, Belleville. Doors open at 6 p.m. Food court opens at 5:30 p.m. Information: 618-397-5994 or stmatthewumc.org.
- New Memphis — 8:30 p.m.-12:30 a.m. Friday-Saturday, Sit “N” Bull Saloon, 31 S. Mill St., New Memphis. Free. Matty Mo & The Rockets on Friday; Stan Denton & The Wanted on Saturday.
- Chapter 6 Vocal Band — 7 p.m. Saturday, Faith Lutheran Church, 520 E. Highway 50, O’Fallon. A cappella group presents an energetic show with tight harmonies. Presented by Faith Lutheran Church Concert Series. Freewill offering will be taken. Refreshments served. Nursery provided.
- Jazz Day — 7 p.m. Saturday, Jacoby Arts Center, 627 E. Broadway, Alton. Featuring the Reyza Eren Quartet. Tickets: $12. Can be purchased at the door or at jacobyartscenter.org/events.
- Masterworks Chorale — 3 p.m. Sunday, St. Clare Church, O’Fallon. Featuring Haydn’s “Lord NelsonMass.’ Orchestra plus guest soloists: soprano Stella Markou, mezzo soprano Elisabeth Bieber, tenor Don Frazure and baritone Brandon Smith. Debut of Dr. Stephen Mager’s newest composition, “Sarabonde.” Also Cach’s Cantata BWV4. Ticket prices: $15 in advance, $20 at the door for adults; $10 in advance, $15 at the door for seniors and members of the military; $5 in advance, $10 at the door for students. Tickets are available from chorus members or 618-304-9094. Groups of 10 or more receive a 20 percent discount on tickets ordered in advance.
- MUSIC Swing Dance Club — Lessons 7:30-8 p.m., open dancing 8-10 p.m. Thursday, Wild Country, 17 Gateway Drive, Collinsville. No partner or experience necessary. Cost: $5. First-time guests free. Doors open at 7 p.m.
- Square Dance and Mixers — 7-9:30 p.m. Friday, Caseyville Township Building, 10001 Bunkum Road, Fairview Heights. Sponsored by Dandy Dancers. Joe Obal calling squares, Bob Pyles cueing.
- 5K Group Walk — 6:15 p.m. (register) Thursday, Lobby of St. Elizabeth’s Hospital, 211 S. 3rd St., Belleville. Sponsored by Illinois Trekkers Volkssport Club. $3 fee for all participants. Walk the historical district of Belleville.
- Bass Fishing Tournament — 4 p.m. Thursday, Kaskaskia Riverhouse, 1 Harbor Point Drive, New Athens. Cost: $20 per person. 618-475-2223.
- SICW Wrestling — 8 p.m. Saturday, St. James Parrish Center, Millstadt. Sponsored by Millstadt Athletic Club. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. Refreshments available. Tickets: $12 adults, $8 12 & under by calling 618-719-6749.
- Pre-Derby Horse Race Night — 7 p.m. Saturday, Knights of Columbus Hall, 5420 Old Collinsville Road, O’Fallon. Doors open at 6 p.m. Cost: $20 per person. Tables of 10 available for reservation. Silent and live auction, cash bar, food for purchase. Draft been and soft drinks provided. Bonnet contest for the ladies. Presented by Dania Shrine Club of O’Fallon. Proceeds go to Shriners charities and building restoration fund. Reservations/sponsorships: Bill Clark, 618-830-0489, Kerry Andrews, 618-971-8679, Terry Conard, 618-345-0451.
- Pitch Hit & Run — 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday, Highland Knights of Columbus Hall, 12454 State Route 143, Highland. Hosted by Highland Bulldogs 8U and 11U. Free Scotts Major League Baseball Pitch Hit & Run Competition for area youth. Participants must bring copy of birth certificate and have a parent/guardian fill out a registration/waiver form. Donny Gunter at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Italian Film Festival — 6 and 8 p.m. Saturday, Southwestern Illinois College’s Liberal Arts Theatre, 2500 Carlyle Ave., Belleville. Free admission. “I, Harlequin” at 6 p.m.; “Palio” at 8 p.m. Part of Italian Film Festival USA. Information: www.italianfilmfests.org.
- Golf Tournament — 7:30 a.m. Saturday, Triple Lakes Golf Course, 6942 Triple Lakes Road, Millstadt. Check in at 7 a.m. “3 Club Scramble” $300/4-person team. Sign up by calling Charles Lynch at 618-473-2696. Benefit for Because We Can, which purchases gifts for older children who are hospitalized for extended periods.
- Free Children’s Day Festival — 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday, Caseyville United Methodist Church, 119 W. Lincoln St., Caseyville. Bounce house, face painting, crafts, games, entertainment, food, drink. Free. Rain or shine.
- Caseyville City-wide Yard Sale — 7:30 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday, Village of Caseyville. Sponsored by Caseyville Public Library District. Featuring books, plants at the library, Barbecue & Rada knives at the Fire Station. Maps available Friday and Saturday at FCB Bank, City Hall, Caytown and Caseyville Public Library.
- Fruehlingsfest Antique & Garden Show —9 a.m.-4 p.m. Sunday around the old stone mill in Maeystown. Featuring unique antiques from some of the finest dealers in the Midwest. Local nurseries will be selling annuals, perennials and herbs. Food available for purchase: bratwurst, barbecue, potato pancakes, strawberry shortcake. Creekside wine garden.
- Cystic Fibrosis Walk — noon Sunday, Southern Illinois University Edwardsville. Check in at 11 a.m. Sponsored by Great Strides Metro East. 2-mile walk. Family-oriented event with children’s activities, food. Information: 800-FIGHT-CF or http://fightcf.cff.org.
- Luncheon, Card Party, Bingo — noon Tuesday, St. Luke’s Parish Hall, 226 N. Church St., Belleville. Sponsored by St. Luke Perpetual Help Sodality. Play cards, bingo or a board game. Cost: $7, includes lunch inside or carry out. Menu: Chicken pasta casserole, orange Jell-O with pineapple, role, coffee or tea and water.
- 5K/10K Walk —10 a.m. Tuesday, Shrine of Our Lady of the Snows Hotel, 4515 DeMazenod Drive, Belleville. Register at 9:45 a.m. Sponsored by Illinois Trekkers Volkssport Club. $3 fee for all participants. Pets welcome, must be leashed and owner responsible for pet cleanup.
- Cultural Diversity Everywhere — 5:30-7:30 p.m. Wednesday, Wolf Branch Middle School, 410 Huntwood Road, Swansea. Presentations on 31 countries, African dancers. Participation by Belleville East’s Youth-to-Youth. Refreshments. Open to the public. Sponsored by Wolf Branch Middle School Cultural Diversity Committee.
- Aviston Fish & Chicken Fry — 4:30 p.m.-7 p.m. Friday, American Legion Post 1239, 601 S. Clinton St., Aviston. Cod, catfish, shrimp, chicken strips, 1/4 fried chicken, sides. Eat in or carryout. 618-228-7311.
- Caseyville Fish Fry — 4 p.m.-7 p.m. Friday, Caseyville VFW Post 1117, 415 N. Long, Caseyville. Fish plates, desserts, sandwiches, burgers and more.
- Collinsville Fish Fry — 3-8 p.m. Friday, Collinsville VFW Post 5691, 1234 Vandalia, Collinsville. Eat in or carryout. Cod, catfish fillets, tilapia, sides.
- Collinsville Fish Fry — 3 p.m.-8 p.m. Friday, Collinsville American Legion, 1022 Vandalia St., Collinsville. North Atlantic cod, whole catfish, Cajun cut-ups, crab cakes, sides, desserts. Information: 618-345-2508.
- Collinsville Fish Fry — 4 p.m.-7:30 p.m. Friday, Knights of Columbus Hall, Illinois 157, Collinsville. Eat in or carryout. Fried/baked cod, catfish, sides. Senior plate starting at $4.99. 618-345-1492.
- Fairview Heights Fish Fry — 3 p.m.-8 p.m. Friday, Knights of Columbus Hall, 5420 Old Collinsville Road. Walton’s Fish Fry. Serving jack salmon and wild-caught grilled salmon. Homemade desserts. Carryout: 618-632-5222.
- Highland Fish Fry — 4 p.m.-7:30 p.m. Friday, VFW Post 5694, 1900 VFW Road, Highland. Eat in or carryout. 618-654-6367.
- Mascoutah Fish Fry — 5 p.m.-8 p.m. Friday, Mascoutah VFW Post 7682, 620 Donaphan St., Mascoutah. Dine in or carryout. 618-566-2288.
- Millstadt Fish Fry — 11 a.m.-2 p.m., 4-8 p.m. Friday, Millstadt VFW Post, 200 Veterans Drive, Millstadt.
- O’Fallon Fish Fry — 4 p.m.-8 p.m. Friday, Knights of Columbus Hall, 402 E. U.S. 50, O’Fallon. Sponsored by KC and Ladies Auxiliary. Cod and bluegill, burgers, hot dogs, sides. Eat in or carryout. 618-632-6229.
- O’Fallon Fish Fry — 4 p.m.-8 p.m. Friday, VFW Post 805, 221 W. First St., O’Fallon. Sponsored by Sgt. Charles A. Fricke VFW Post 805 and Ladies Auxiliary. Fried and grilled fish and chicken, homemade sides and desserts. Children’s menu. To-go orders delivered to car. 618-624-2651.
- O’Fallon Fish & Chicken Fry — 5 p.m.-8 p.m. every Friday, O’Fallon American Legion, 109 N. Penn, O’Fallon. Carryout available. 618-632-8879.
- Okawville Fish Fry — 5 p.m.-8 p.m. Friday, American Legion Post 233, 205 N. Hanover St., Okawville. Eat in or carryout. 618-243-5528.
- Scott VFW Fish Fry — 5 p.m.-9 p.m. Friday, Scott VFW Post 4183, Belleville. Carryout by calling 618-746-9801.
- Shiloh Fish Fry — 5 p.m.-8 p.m. Friday, 100 Eagle Drive, Shiloh. Sponsored by Eagles No. 545. Cod, walleye, shrimp, chicken strip plates. Sides. Eat in or carry out. 618-624-5412. Auxiliary bake sale for charity.
- Summerfield Fish Fry — 5:30 p.m.-8 p.m. Friday, Summerfield Lions Club, 100 E. Park St., Summerfield. 618-934-3841 or 618-334-3177.
- Swansea Fish Fry — 11 a.m.-8 p.m. Friday-Saturday, Swansea Fish Stand, 216 Service St., Swansea. Cod, walleye, shrimp. 618-222-7171.
- Troy VFW Fish Fry — 4-7 p.m. Friday, Troy VFW Post 976 and Ladies Auxiliary, 123-A W. Market St., Troy. Choice of cod, catfish, jack salmon, baked fish, chicken strips, shrimp. Dinners include bread and choice of two sides. Dine in or carryout. 618-667-8387.
- Walton’s Chicken Dinner — 4 p.m.-7 p.m. Tuesday, Knights of Columbus Hall, 5420 Old Collinsville Road, Fairview Heights. Homemade desserts. For carryout, call 618-632-5222.
- Fried Chicken — 4 p.m.-8 p.m. Wednesday, Millstadt VFW Post, 200 Veterans Drive, Millstadt. All you can eat. Adults $10; $8 seniors; $5 children (12 and younger). Sponsored by Millstadt VFW Post. 22.
- Washers Tournament — 1 p.m. Saturday, Tiny’s Pub & Grill, Columbia. Presented by Columbia Blue Jay Football. Entry $40 per 2-man team. Prizes, 50/50 drawing. Register: Ryan Hicks, 618-301-0916 or email@example.com.
- Luau Lanes Crazy Bowl — 9 p.m. Saturday, Bel-Air Bowl, 200 South Belt West, Belleville. Cost: $15 per person, $25 for two includes 3 games of Crazy Bowl, shoe rental, snacks, raffles, attendance prizes, games, more. Doors open at 8 p.m. Proceeds benefit Four Hearts Foundation Inc. Reservations: 618-960-4984 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Book Bazaar — 8 a.m.-7 p.m. Thursday-Friday; 8 a.m.-noon Saturday, St. Paul United Church of Christ, 115 W. B St., Belleville. Sponsored by Memorial Hospital Auxiliary. Books, movies, cookbooks, cassettes, games, puzzles, magazine, old books, CDs, paperbacks, DVDs, more. Free parking.
- Rummage, Craft, Vendors Sale — 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday, Columbia American Legion Post 581, 375 E. Locust St., Columbia. Indoor sale featuring collectibles, antiques, vendors, household items, sports memorabilia, homemade crafts. Food snacks, drinks and open bar.
- Plant Sale — 8-11 a.m. Saturday, in front of Wild Birds Unlimited, 2657 N. Illinois, Swansea. Sponsored by St. Clair County Garden Club. Milkweed plants, perennial and annual flowers, ground covers, vines and shrubs from members’ gardens. Prices: from 50 cents to $6. Gardening advice is free.
- Big Bloomin’ Sale, Plants & Books — 8 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday, Caseyville Public Library, 419 S. 2nd St., Caseyville. Proceeds benefit children’s summer reading program. Large selection of adult, young adults, kids books, DVDs, VHS, CDs, cookbooks. Lots of houseplants, succulents, outdoor plants, perennials, vegetables and flowers.
- Garden Club Plant Sale — 8-11 a.m. Saturday, 303 N. Morrison, Collinsville. Rain or shine. Hosted by Collinsville Garden Club. Featuring hostas ferns, lily of the valley, false Soloman seal, columbine, salvia, iris, yarrow, moon beam coreopsis, coneflowers, day lily, butterfly bush, Russian sage, sedum, phlox, sweet woodruff, penstemon, bee balm and herbs. Club member will be on hand to answer questions.
- History Trade Fair — 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday, Cahokia Courthouse, 107 Elm St., Cahokia. Aimed at re-enactors portraying life in the 1700s and 1800s, the trade fair includes period clothing and tools, history and reference books, outdoor dining and cooking utensils, reproduction glassware and ceramics.
- Rich Guzzi — 8:30 p.m. Thursday, Lindenwood Auditorium, 2600 W. Main St., Belleville. Comedian who does hypnosis.
- “Oklahoma” — 7:30 p.m. Thursday-Saturday, Belleville East High School Performing Arts Center, 2555 West Blvd., Belleville. Tickets: $8 adults, $5 students.
- “Anything Goes” — 7 p.m. Thursday-Saturday, Belleville West Performing Arts Center, 4063 Frank Scott Parkway West, Belleville. Tickets: $5 students, $8 adults, $6 seniors.
- “The Lion King Jr.” — 7 p.m. Friday-Saturday, St. Teresa School Gym, 1108 Lebanon Ave., Belleville. Tiger Tale Players. Tickets available at the door: $5 adults, $3 students. Concessions: DQ mini blizzards, lion headbands available for purchase.
- “Sound of Music” — 7 p.m. Friday-Saturday; 2 p.m. Sunday, May 1, Metro-East Lutheran High School, 6305 Center Grove Road, Edwardsville. Tickets: $10 per person.
- Meat Shoot — 11 a.m. Saturday, New Athens Sportsman Club, New Athens. Trap and still targets. 22 bird shot still targets. Games, food, drinks.
- Fairview Heights — 7 p.m. Saturday, Holy Trinity, 505 Fountains Parkway, Fairview Heights. Doors open at 6 p.m. Benefits Midwest Salute to the Arts. Cost: $15 per person, 8-10 per table. 50/50 raffle, silent auction, heads & tails, mulligans, cash prizes. Bring your own snack; cash bar available (no outside drinks). Reservations: Randy, 618-257-0154, email@example.com.
- Swansea —7 p.m. Saturday, C.K.& L.of I., 2800 North Illinois St., Swansea. Doors open at 5 p.m. Proceeds benefit Autism Society. Cost: $10 per person, 10 players max per table. Raffle, prized, attendance prizes, mulligans, 50/50 raffle, heads & tails. Free soda coupon, free popcorn, bring your own snacks, cash car (no outside drinks). Bake sale. Registration information: firstname.lastname@example.org or 618-799-8102.
How to send your event
- Deadline: noon Monday. What’s Happening runs events happening from Thursday though the next Wednesday in Thursday’s Lifestyle section.
- Email: email@example.com
- Fax: 618-236-9773
- Mail: What’s Happening, c/o Lifestyle, 120 S. Illinois St., P.O. Box 427, Belleville, IL 62222-0427.
- Information: call 618-239-2537.
- Please include: Event, time, date, location, admission cost and special features. Also, a daytime phone number we can contact if we need more information.