STUFFED PEPPER SOUP
2 pounds lean ground beef
2 green bell peppers, diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 small onion, diced
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to Belleville News-Democrat
3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 carton (32 ounces) beef-flavored broth
1 cup water
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
4 cups cooked rice
Shredded cheese, if desired
1. Spray 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. In 12-inch skillet, cook beef over medium-high heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thoroughly cooked; drain. Place beef in slow cooker.
2. Stir in all remaining ingredients except rice and cheese.
3. Cover; cook on low heat setting 7 to 8 hours.
4. When about 30 minutes are left in cooking time, gently stir in cooked rice. Cover; cook about 30 minutes longer.
5. Serve soup topped with cheese. Serves 8.