UPSIDE DOWN SKILLET GRILLED PEACH CAKE
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup heavy cream
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 medium yellow peaches, pitted and cut into 1/2-inch slices
1 box yellow cake mix
Water, vegetable oil and eggs called for on cake mix package
1. Ignite one burner on gas grill; heat to approximately 350 degrees, or medium heat.
2. In a 12-inch cast-iron skillet, combine brown sugar, cinnamon, heavy cream and butter. Place skillet on burner. Use a wooden spoon to stir ingredients 2 to 3 minutes until well combined and lightly caramelized. Remove from heat.
3. Carefully place sliced peaches in skillet on top of sugar-butter mixture.
4. Meanwhile, prepare cake mix batter according to package directions. Pour batter evenly over peaches in skillet.
5. Return skillet to grill over indirect heat (away from burner). Cover grill and bake cake 45 to 50 minutes at 350 degrees, rotating skillet halfway through baking, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
6. Cool cake 10 minutes in pan. Run a knife along edge of skillet to loosen cake. Place an inverted serving plate over top of skillet; carefully and quickly flip skillet over. Remove skillet. Serve cake warm or at room temperature.
Tips: Cake is best served fresh from the grill the day it is made. Serve warm cake slices with fresh whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.