Quick, make a dessert everyone will rave about. Well, here it is.
It’s true pineapple upside down cake is a classic recipe, so what’s new? This one pares the cake down to individual size by using a cupcake/muffin tin. What could be better for a party? Even better, it is quick to make because it starts with a box of cake mix.
The recipe comes courtesy of Betty Crocker.
Pineapple Upside Down Cupcakes
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
1 can (20 ounces) sliced pineapple, drained, juice reserved
1 box yellow cake mix
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup butter, melted
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
12 maraschino cherries, cut in half
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 24 regular-size muffin cups with cooking spray.
2. Cut each pineapple slice into 4 pieces; set aside.
3. In a large bowl, beat cake mix, oil, eggs and reserved pineapple juice (add water if needed to make same amount of liquid called for on the box) with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
4. In a small bowl, stir together melted butter and brown sugar. Spoon a rounded teaspoon of butter mixture into each muffin cup.
5. Top each with 2 pineapple pieces.
6. Place cherry half, cut side up, in center of pineapple pieces. Spoon 1/4 cup batter into each cup. (Try to be exact with batter so you have enough and don’t overfill the cups.)
7. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
8. Cool 5 minutes. Run knife around edge of cupcakes to loosen; invert onto cookie sheet. Serve warm. Makes 24 regular-size cupcakes.
Tips: You can used pineapple tidbits (from a 20-ounce can with about 8 tidbits per cupcake) or crushed pineapple; just divide evenly among cupcakes.
Also, white cake mix can be substituted.