BLACKBERRY COFFEE CAKE
1 1/4 cups fresh or frozen (thawed and well drained) blackberries
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 container (8 ounces) sour cream
POWDERED SUGAR GLAZE:
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
3 to 4 teaspoons water
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottom and side of 10-inch angel food (tube) cake pan with shortening; lightly flour.
2. In small bowl, mix blackberry filling ingredients; set aside.
3. In medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder and baking soda; set aside. In large bowl, beat granulated sugar, butter, vanilla and eggs with electric mixer on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat in flour mixture alternately with sour cream on low speed.
4. Spread one-third of the batter in pan; sprinkle with half of the filling. Spoon another one-third of the batter by tablespoonfuls over filling; sprinkle with remaining filling. Spoon remaining batter over filling; spread evenly.
5. Bake coffee cake 55 to 65 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely, about 1 hour 30 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, in small bowl, stir all powdered sugar glaze ingredients until smooth and thin enough to drizzle. Drizzle over cooled coffee cake. Makes 16 servings.
Note: This coffee cake is a great make-ahead treat. Wrap it tightly, and tuck it away in your freezer for up to 2 months to serve when unexpected guests drop by.