Everybody needs help sometime. That sometime for you just might be now, or on Thanksgiving. Luckily, there is a wide variety of assistance online and via phone to get you through preparing your first turkey, wondering why a pie crust didn’t turn out like it should have or how to cook cranberries. Here are some resources:
▪ Butterball Turkey Talk-Line: For nearly 35 years, Butterball operators have been talking turkey with consumers. Call 800-288-8373. Available now through Dec. 28, weekdays 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. CST; Saturday and Sunday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. CST; Thanksgiving Day, 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. CST; Nov. 24 to Dec. 25, weekdays, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Also how-to videos are available at www.butterball.com.
▪ National Turkey Federation: This trade association at www.eatturkey.com/thanksgiving offers instructions and tips on prepping, cooking, serving and storing the bird, plus a history of Thanksgiving and turkey, recipes and wine suggestions.
▪ Ocean Spray: The cranberry folks have a toll free line for questions, weekdays from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Central time, 800-662-3263, or go to oceanspray.com. Staffed year-round, weekdays (open Thanksgiving Day; but not Christmas Day, New Year’s Day and other major holidays).
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to Belleville News-Democrat
▪ Crisco Pie & Baking Hotline: Call 877-367-7438 or go to crisco.com for help with your baked goods and pies. The hotline is open weekdays (closed Thanksgiving) through Wednesday and then open Dec. 19-23.
▪ Sara Lee Pie Hotline: Call 888-914-1247 for pie tips on weekdays 7 a.m to 6 p.m. (including Thanksgiving until 1 p.m.). Or tweet your questions to @saraleedesserts using the hashtag #PerfectPie during hotline hours.