Noon Thursday, May 4, was the deadline to appear in today’s What’s Happening. We must receive your event in writing with a contact phone number for questions. Due to the large number of submissions, non-profit events are run only one time in print, will be edited and appear in the week before the event date.
Email is preferred: email@example.com. Mail to: Lifestyle, Belleville News-Democrat, 120 S. Illinois St., P.O. Box 427, Belleville, IL 62222-0427. Questions, call Heidi Wiechert at 618-239-2500.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to Belleville News-Democrat
▪ American Association of University Women — 7 p.m. Wednesday, May 17. 1246 Rutherford Ridge, O’Fallon. Program: Horse Rescue Agency by Cheryl Logston.
▪ American Legion Post 137 Poppy Sales — 8 a.m. to noon, Saturday. Two locations: State Street and Lincoln, also State Street and Smiley Street. 618-632-8879.
▪ Angels for a Cure Annual Auction — Doors open 6 p.m. Auction at 7:30 p.m. Friday. Mascoutah Moose Lodge, 111 N. Second St., Mascoutah. $15 per person, $25 per couple. Ticket includes dinner and desserts. Auctioneer Anthony Emig of Anthony’s Auctions. 618-277-7353.
▪ Animal Rescue of Southern Illinois Garage Sale — 7:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday. 5509 Pontiac Drive, Fairview Heights. Sale benefits rescue and care efforts for local dogs and cats. www.animalrescueofsouthernillinois.org.
▪ Boating Safely Course — 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday. Lake Carlyle Visitors Center, Dam West Recreation Area, Carlyle. Teaches what is needed to obtain a boat license or safety certification. Those born after January 1, 1998, need a license to pilot a boat in Illinois. $20 class fee. 618-616-9415.
▪ Confluence Crush Roller Derby — Doors open 5 p.m. Game starts 6 p.m. Saturday. Belle Clair Fairgrounds, 200 S. Belt W., Belleville. Cost $10. www.confluencecrush.com.
▪ Daughters of the American Revolution, Looking Glass Prairie Chapter — 9 a.m. to noon Saturday. First Baptist Church, 1111 E. Highway 50, O’Fallon. Genealogist Sue Jones will teach attendees how to search newspapers and internet sites. Event is open to the public. 618-977-6330.
▪ Differently Able: The Story of Janet Barnes — 6 p.m. Thursday, May 11. Grand Manor 58 Frank Scott Parkway E., Swansea. Open to the public. Angela Barnes shares the story of her mother, Janet, who was born a quadriplegic. Copies of book will be for sale at event. Proceeds to non-profit, Janet Barnes Legacy Foundation. 314-643-8305.
▪ Friends of the Library Book Sale — 2 to 8 p.m. Thursday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, 1 to 5 p.m. Sunday, 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday. O’Fallon Public Library, 120 Civic Plaza. Admission is free. There will be a large selection of gently used books, DVDs and audio books. 618-632-3783.
▪ Glo-Bingo — 5:30 p.m. Bingo starts at 7 p.m. Saturday. Scottish Rite and Children’s Dyslexia Center, 1549 Frank Scott Parkway West, Belleville. Tickets $25 each or $160 for table of 8. Cash bar, 50/50, silent auction. Must be over age 18 to participate. Proceeds benefit Children’s Dyslexia Center. 618-670-9725.
▪ Grief Support Session — 1 p.m. Thursday, May 11. Cemetery Chapel, 679 S. Green Mount Road, Belleville. Sponsored by Green Mount Catholic Cemetery. Group meets monthly. 618-234-4858.
▪ “Happy Tails” Pet Festival — 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday. Apple Butter Pavilion, Kimmswick, Missouri. Registration begins at 9 a.m. Parade at 11 a.m. $10 participation fee for your pet to march in parade and compete for awards/prizes. Portion of the proceeds go to rescue organizations. Register in advance: 636-464-6464.
▪ Health Resources Fair — 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday. Six Mile Downtown Library, 2001 Delmar Ave., Granite City. Free health screenings and information about community healthcare resources. Presented in partnership with Molina Healthcare. 618-452-6238 ext. 730.
▪ Iris Show — Noon to 4 p.m. Saturday. Caseyville Township Hall, 10001 Bunkum Road, Fairview Heights. Presented by Mid-Illinois and Southern Illinois Iris Societies. Free and open to the public.
▪ Madison County Genealogical Society — 7 p.m. Thursday, May 11. Edwardsville Public Library, 112 S. Kansas St. Presenter Mary Truitt will talk about the National Road. Guests welcome.
▪ Microsoft Word Program — 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Tuesday. Glen Carbon Public Library, 198 S. Main St. Presented by Joe Feigl. Two-part class teaches participants how to use Microsoft Word. Registration: www.glencarbonlibrary.org.
▪ NAMI Southwestern Illinois’ Race for Recovery and Walk for Awareness — Run at 8 a.m. Walk at 8:15 a.m. Saturday. Gateway Grizzlies GCS Ballpark, 2301 Grizzlie Bear Blvd., Sauget. $30 for race. Family-friendly activities, live llamas, mental health provider booths, guest speaker. 618-798-9788.
▪ Optimist Club of Belleville — Noon Tuesday. Bellecourt Place, 120 N. Jackson St., Belleville. Speaker: Dominic Sabatino. Subject: Fundraising ideas. Guests always welcome.
▪ Our Lady of Fatima Rosary Rally — Noon to 1:30 p.m. Saturday, east lawn of St. Clare Church, 1411 Cross St., O’Fallon. Honoring 100th anniversary of appearance of Our Lady to three children in Fatima, Portugal. 618-416-1616 or anf.org.
▪ Parents Without Partners monthly meeting — 5:30 p.m. Tuesday. Orientation at 6:30 p.m. 4204 West Main Brewing Company, Belleville. General monthly meeting and orientation for prospective members. 618-234-5937.
▪ Point of Departure Event — 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Saturday and Sunday, Lewis and Clark State Historic Site, Hartford. Re-enactors will portray members of the Lewis and Clark Expedition, military groups and artisans demonstrating crafts of the 1800s. Free.
▪ PSOP Annual Senior Celebration — 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Friday. PSOP, 201 N. Church St., Belleville. Food, music, car show, photo booth, game raffles and prizes in honor of Southwestern Illinois College’s 70th birthday. Lunch from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. costs $5. Event sponsored by the city of Belleville, Belleville Township and PSOP. 618-234-4410.
▪ Shane Toenjes Memorial Blood Drive — 3 to 8 p.m. Thursday, May 11. St. James Catholic Parish and School, 412 W. Washington Ave., Millstadt. Photo ID required. For an appointment: redcrossblood.org (Sponsor code: StJamesMillstadt) or 1-800-733-2767.
▪ Tom Qualls Foundation Mother’s Day and Memorial Day Benefit — Noon to 4 p.m. Saturday. Wishing Well Ministry Outreach, 6103 N. Park Drive, Washington Park. Looking for donations of cat and dog food, flea and tick medications, monetary donations. A no-kill ministry. 618-722-0348.
▪ TOPS Illinois Club 592 — 7 p.m. Thursday. St. John UCC, 307 W. Clay St., Collinsville. A weight loss support group. Weigh-in 6:30 p.m. Meeting at 7 p.m. 618-345-6218.
▪ Tower Birthday Bash — 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday. Lewis and Clark Confluence Tower, 435 Confluence Drive, Hartford. Celebrate the 7th anniversary of the Confluence Tower. Cookies and punch will be served. All Hartford residents, with valid ID, will receive a free tour of the tower. 618-251-9101.
▪ Troy Family Summer of Fun Event — Entertainment begins 6 p.m. Movie at 8:15 p.m. Friday. Tri-Township Park northeastern corner across from the gazebo, Troy. Free food and snacks. Showing: The Secret Life of Pets. 618-667-8769 or www.troymaryvillecoc.com/tfsof.
▪ Walking Tour of Historic Downtown Belleville — 10 a.m. Saturday. Starts at the Veterans’ Memorial, southeast corner of the square on East Main, Belleville. Tour is about 16 blocks and lasts for 90 minutes. $10 per person. Appropriate for ages twelve and up. Benefits the Belleville Historical Society. Reservations: 618-236-7481 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
▪ Alton Farmers’ and Artisans’ Market — 8 a.m. to noon, every Saturday until Oct. 14. Corner of Landmarks Boulevard and Henry, Alton. Free admission. Fresh produce, crafts, baked goods, soaps, jewelry, art demonstrations.
▪ Benld Craft Fair and Flea Market — 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday. Benld Civic Center, 200 E. Central Ave., Benld. Over 40 vendors. Crafts, food.
▪ Eckert’s Strawberry Festival — 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday-Sunday. Eckert’s Orchards, 951 S. Green Mount Road, Belleville. Festival foods and live entertainment. Kid’s activities include pony rides, children’s play area, petting farm, carnival rides, and inflatable. Fee charged for some activities. 618-233-0513 or www.eckerts.com/calendar-of-events.
▪ Litchfield Pickers Market — 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday. Corner of Union Ave./Route 16 and State Street, downtown Litchfield. Live music, vendors. visitlitchfield.com.
▪ Aviston Legion Fish & Chicken Fry — 4:30 to 7 p.m. Friday. American Legion Post 1239, 601 S. Clinton, Aviston. Cod, catfish, shrimp, chicken strips, sides. Eat in or carryout. 618-228-7311 or www.avistonlegion.com.
▪ Caseyville Fish Fry — 4 to 7 p.m. Friday, Caseyville VFW Post 1117, 415 N. Long, Caseyville. Fish plates, desserts, sandwiches, burgers and more. Bingo at 7 p.m.
▪ Collinsville Fish Fry — 3 to 8 p.m. Friday, Collinsville VFW Post 5691, 1234 Vandalia, Collinsville. Eat-in or carryout. Cod, catfish fillets, tilapia, sides.
▪ Collinsville Fish Fry — 3 to 8 p.m. Friday, Collinsville American Legion, 1022 Vandalia St., Collinsville. North Atlantic cod, whole catfish, sides, desserts. 618-345-2508.
▪ Collinsville Fish Fry — 4 to 7:30 p.m. Friday. Knights of Columbus Hall, 1 Columbus Plaza, Collinsville. Eat in or carryout. Fried/baked cod, catfish, sides. 618-345-1492.
▪ Freeburg Fish Fry — 2 to 8 p.m. Friday. American Legion Post 58. Freedom Farm, 6355 Hilgard Memorial Drive, Freeburg. Cod, walleye, and homemade pizza. 618-539-6095.
▪ Highland Fish Fry — 4 to 7:30 p.m. Friday, VFW Post 5694, 1900 VFW Road, Highland. Eat in or carryout. 618-654-6367.
▪ Mascoutah Fish Fry — 5 to 8 p.m. Friday, Mascoutah VFW Post 7682, 620 Donaphan St., Mascoutah. Dine in or carryout. 618-566-2288.
▪ Millstadt Fish Fry and Jam Session — 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., 4 to 8 p.m. Friday, Millstadt VFW Post, 200 Veterans Drive, Millstadt. 618-476-1180.
▪ Mother’s Day Breakfast — 8 to 11:30 a.m. Sunday. Albers American Legion, 600 N. Bertha St. Pork sausage, ham, pancakes, eggs, fried potatoes, biscuits and gravy. $9 adults, $4 child. 5 and under free. Carryouts. Proceeds go to Legion youth programs. 618-248-5505.
▪ O’Fallon Fish Fry — 4 to 8 p.m. Friday, Knights of Columbus Hall, 402 E. U.S. 50, O’Fallon. Cod and bluegill, burgers, hot dogs, sides. Eat in or carryout. 618-632-6229.
▪ O’Fallon Fish Fry — 4 to 8 p.m. Friday, VFW Post 805, 221 W. First St., O’Fallon. Fried and grilled fish, chicken, sides and desserts. Carryouts. 618-624-2651.
▪ Okawville Fish & Chicken Fry — 5 to 8 p.m. Friday, 205 N. Hanover St., Okawville. American Legion Post No. 233. Eat in or carryout. 618-243-6545.
▪ Shiloh Fish Fry — 5 to 8 p.m. Friday, 100 Eagle Drive, Shiloh. Cod, walleye, shrimp, chicken wings. Eat in or carryout. Auxiliary bake sale for charity. 618-624-5412.
▪ St. Cecilia and Knights of Columbus Pork Steak Dinner — 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday. St. Cecilia Catholic Church, 155 N. Main St., Glen Carbon. $9 for pork steaks and sides.
▪ St. Joseph Church Fish Bake and Fry — 4 to 7 p.m. Friday. St. Joseph’s Parish Center, 6 N. Alton St., Freeburg. Baked and fried cod, shrimp, spaghetti, sides. Sponsored by the Support Committee. Eat in or carryout. 618-539-4720.
▪ Swansea Fish Stand — 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday, 216 Service St., Swansea. Cod, walleye, catfish, shrimp and more. Saturday: fried chicken. 618-222-7171.
• Taste of Millstadt — 7 to 10 p.m. Saturday. The Quail Club, 8303 Concordia Road, Belleville. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. Must be 21 or older to participate. Silent auction, raffle, wine tasting, beer and food. Tickets cost $30 at door. Hosted by the Millstadt Optimist Club. 618-781-8447.
▪ Troy VFW Fish Fry — 4 to 7 p.m. Friday, Troy VFW Post 976 and Auxiliary, 123-A W. Market St., Troy. Cod, catfish, jack salmon, baked fish, chicken strips, shrimp. Dine in or carry out. 618-667-8387.
▪ Walton’s Chicken Dinner — 4 to 7 p.m. Tuesday. Knights of Columbus, 5420 Old Collinsville Road, Fairview Heights. Homemade desserts. Carryout, 618-632-5222.
▪ Walton’s Fish Fry — 3 to 8 p.m. Friday, Knights of Columbus, Hall, 5420 Old Collinsville Road, Fairview Heights. Homemade desserts. Carryout, 618-632-5222.
▪ Bridge — 11:45 a.m. Tuesday. Senior Center, 10025 Bunkum Road, Fairview Heights. Sponsored by Caseyville Township. 618-310-1289.
▪ Cribbage Club — 6:30 p.m. Thursday. 1 Columbus Plaza, KC Club, Collinsville. Nine games played against nine different opponents. Yvonne Bright 618-344-1521 or John Bilski 618-398-1029.
▪ Euchre Tournament — 7 p.m. Friday. Smithton Senior Center, 711 S. Main St., Smithton. Everyone welcome. 618-233-3370.
▪ Strategy Board Games for the Family at SWIC — 1 to 10 p.m. Saturday. SWIC Belleville Campus cafeteria, 2500 Carlyle Ave., Belleville. Strategy games for the whole family. Join anytime. Free event and open to the public. See the Metro-East Gamers on Facebook or www.meetup.com/metro-east-gamers.
• 5th Annual Bluegrass and Elvis Show — 7 p.m. Saturday. Jailhouse Rock, 24 W. Missouri Ave., Trenton. $7 adults and $3.50 children. Elvis tribute artist — Jeff Caldwell. George Portz and his Friends of Bluegrass Band. Country singer — Brenda Cook. For table reservations, call 618-632-1384.
▪ Man of La Mancha — 7:30 p.m. Friday-Saturday, 2 p.m. Sunday. Also playing May 19-21. Alton Little Theater, 2450 N. Henry St., Alton. Musical based on Don Quixote. Tickets cost $17 for adults and $10 for students. 618-462-3205.