USDA Senior Nutrition program
The USDA is providing funding for Illinois to distribute farmer’s market coupons to area qualifying seniors. The guidelines are: low-income seniors who are at least 60 years old, live in the metro-east in Illinois and make less than $22,311 in a one-person household or less than $30,044 in a two person household. Coupons are available at the all markets listed below except Swansea Market. Coupon books are also at AgeSmart Community Resources, 2365 Country Road, Belleville.
The $25 book of coupons (one booklet per person per year) is accepted at these area farmer’s markets:
▪ Alton Marketplace Association: Corner of Landmarks Drive and Henry Street, Alton — Open 8 a.m. to noon Saturdays.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
▪ Carlyle Courthouse Square Farmer’s Market: East side of the courthouse, Carlyle — Open 4-7 p.m. Thursdays.
▪ Nashville Farmer’s Market: 138 NE Court St., Nashville — Open 4:30-6:30 p.m. Mondays and 7 a.m. to noon Thursdays.
▪ Old Town Market: 19 Public Square, Belleville — Open 7:30 a.m. to noon Saturdays.
▪ Swansea Farmer’s Market: Rural King Parking Lot, 2801 N. Illinois St., Swansea — Open 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Thursdays.
▪ F.R.E.S.H. Farmer’s Market: East side of Health District, 628 N. 20th, East St. Louis — Open 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Thursdays.
▪ Fairview Heights Community Market: 10207 Lincoln Trail, Fairview Heights — Open 8 a.m. to noon. Saturdays.
‘Gateway to Art’ award winners
The Gateway East Artist’s Guild announced the winners of its 2017 Shrine Show and art sale on Sunday, July 16, at the National Shrine of Our Lady of the Snows in Belleville. The art will be on display and for sale until August 18.
▪ William Froelich Best of Show: “Tree of Dreams” by Shelia Woodruff.
▪ The Shrine Director’s Award: “Handmaiden of the Lord” by David M. Cornell.
▪ Jack Richeson and Co. Award: “Tesla” by Christina MacMorran.
▪ Mary and Roy Kerchner Memorial Award: “The Blue Cup” by Nancy Beard.
▪ Jo Ann Murray Award: “Demise of the Slabs” by Ron Vivod.
▪ Awards of Excellence: “Sunset on Rainy Day” by Susan Rogers, “Serenity Palm” by Kathy Gomric, “Old Bridge” by Michael Anderson, “Bird Friends Pitchers” by Jan Musick, and “Contradictions Converge: Gum Ball #3” by Susan Kunz.
▪ Awards of Merit: “Birch Spring” by Linda Rawson, “Poppyseed Heads” by Karen Romani, “I Will Guard You Forever” by Tatyana Robberts, “Lets Take a Walk” by Karen Miller, and “The Seer” by Carolyn Karasek.
▪ Awards of Recognition: “Pune Window” by Kevin Brundage, “Butterfly on Zinnia” by Agatha Klym, “Button Tree” by Peggy Dehake, “Hansol” by Rosemary Steuer, and “Wind Song” by Suzanne Lowry.