What’s Happening for Nov. 9.
Noon Thursday, Nov. 2, was the deadline to appear in today’s What’s Happening. We must receive your event in writing with a contact phone number for questions. Due to the large number of submissions, non-profit events are run only one time in print, will be edited and appear in the week before the event date.
Email: email@example.com. Mail to: Lifestyle, Belleville News-Democrat, 120 S. Illinois St., P.O. Box 427, Belleville, IL 62222-0427. Questions, call Heidi Wiechert at 618-239-2500.
Veterans Day Events
▪ Belleville’s 19th Annual Veterans Day Ceremony — 11 a.m. Saturday. Veteran’s Memorial Monument, Downtown Belleville Public Square. Program honors the brave and loyal men and women who served and sacrificed for U.S. freedom. Public is invited. 618-233-6518 ext. 1245.
▪ 8th Annual Veteran’s Celebration at the Belleville Elks Lodge — Doors open 3 p.m. Meal 4 p.m. Sunday. 1481 S. Illinois St., Belleville. All U.S. veterans and active members of all branches of the U.S. military and their families are invited. No cost but make reservations by Nov. 11. Call 618-233-0703 or text 618-719-3554.
▪ O’Fallon Veterans Day Program and parade — Program at 11 a.m. Saturday. Veterans’ Monument, 737 E. Wesley Drive. Parade at 2 p.m. beginning at the O’Fallon Community Park. Information about the program: www.ofallonveteransmonument.org. Parade information: firstname.lastname@example.org or VFW Post 618-624-6575.
▪ Annual Veterans Day service — 11 a.m. Saturday. American Legion Prairie Du Pont Post 485, 200 S. 5th St., Dupo. Questions: 618-286-3535 or email@example.com.
▪ Veterans Day Free concert — 2 p.m. Sunday. Espenschied Chapel, 317 N. County Road, Mascoutah. Free concert courtesy of the Liberty Clarinet Quartet from the USAF Band of MidAmerica. No tickets required. Refreshments will be served.
▪ Veterans Day Spaghetti Luncheon — First seating 11-11:45 a.m. Second seating 12:15-1 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 9. Main Street Community Center, 1003 N. Main St., Edwardsville. Free for all veterans with reservations required. $5 for non-veterans. Reservations: 618-656-0300 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
▪ ‘Pets for Vets’ Adoption Day event — Saturday. Metro East Humane Society, 8495 State Route 143, Edwardsville. Metro East Humane Society will be offering fee waived adoptions to veterans. This one day adoption event is made possible thanks to the Illinois State Comptroller Susana A. Mendoza through her program Comptroller’s Critters, in collaboration with Fifth Third Bank and Bunker Labs. Information: 618-656-4405 or email, email@example.com.
▪ Tom Qualls Foundation for People and Animals: Veterans Day donation event — Noon to 2 p.m. Saturday. 204 John St., Collinsville. Celebrate Veterans Day with the Wishing Well Ministry Outreach. Collecting donations for area animals in need: U.S. flags, food items, fruits, blankets, dog and cat food, hay, tarps, dog houses, kennels and monetary donations.
▪ Lincoln Presidential Library Veterans Day event — Saturday. Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum, Springfield. The museum will offer free admission to current, past military personnel and Gold Star families. A representative from the Illinois Department of Veterans Affairs will be available from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. to talk about services the agency offers. Admiral Nils Thunman, a nuclear submariner who served in the Navy from 1954 to the mid-1980s, will hold a free presentation at 11 a.m. in the Multi-purpose Room of the library, 112 N. Sixth St., Springfield. Reservations for presentation go to www.presidentlincoln.illinois.gov. Click on “special event reservations.”
▪ Addiction Loss Support Group — 6:30-8 p.m. Tuesday. Family Hospice office, 5110 W. Main St., Belleville. The Heartlinks Grief Center of Family Hospice hosts a monthly grief support group for parents and adult siblings grieving the death of a child or sibling due to addiction. 618-277-1800.
▪ Ainad Shriners charity auction — Doors open 5 p.m. Saturday. Event begins 6 p.m. Knights of Columbus, 5420 Old Collinsville Road, Fairview Heights. Oral and silent auctions, games, raffles and more. $10 per person in advance, call 618-874-1870. Or $15 at door. www.ainadshriners.org.
▪ American Association of University Women — 7 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 15. 643 N. 39th St., Belleville. Program: Conserving Our Bluff Lands by JoAnne Fricke. Fundraiser: Bring a book, buy a book.
▪ Belleville Metro-east Christian Women’s Club — 10 a.m. to noon, Wednesday, Nov. 15. Bellecourt Place, 120 N. Jackson, Belleville. Bake sale to support the Stonecrest Ministries. Wanda Hanssen of Peoria will share, “From Rags to Riches to Peace and Prosperity.” Cost $13. Reservations due by Nov. 13: Sue Anderson, 618-444-0867.
▪ Illinois Trekkers Volkssport Club: Way of Lights Walk — Registration 3:30-6:30 p.m. Tuesday. National Shrine of Our Lady of the Snows, 442 S. De Mazenod Drive, Belleville. $3 fee to participate. Walkers are asked to bring a flashlight for safety. Information: firstname.lastname@example.org or www.illinois-trekkers.org.
▪ Madison County Genealogical Society — 7 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 9. Edwardsville Public Library, 112 S. Kansas St., Edwardsville. Frank Klosterman of Collinsville will give a presentation on German genealogical resources on the Internet. Guests are welcome.
▪ Optimist Club of Belleville —Noon, Tuesday. Bellecourt Place, 120 Jackson St., Belleville.
▪ PSOP Book Club — 10 a.m. Thursday, Nov. 9. PSOP Building, 201 N. Church St., Belleville. Title: Born a Crime by Trevor Noah. Discussion leader: Jan Lugge.
▪ St. Clair Woman’s Club — Noon, Tuesday. Bellecourt Place, 120 Jackson St., Belleville. They will feature a speaker from the Belleville Public Library. Also, there will be a charitable collection of hats, scarfs, gloves for infants/teens to be given to St. Vincent De Paul Society.
▪ 23rd Annual Salute to Scott Tribute and Business Expo — 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Friday. Gateway Classic Cars, O’Fallon. Free hot dogs, chips and soda served from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. O’Fallon-Shiloh Chamber of Commerce business expo from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. featuring displays from local businesses. Classic car display. Kid zone with Fredbird from noon to 1 p.m. Bring military or government civilian identification card to get in free.
▪ Book Signing at the O’Fallon Library — 1 p.m. Saturday. O’Fallon Public Library. There will be a book signing by O’Fallon resident Catherine Roseberry for her new children’s book, “There’s a Monkey in the Bathroom.” For ages 5 and up.
▪ Fall Harvest Cooking Demo — 11 a.m. to noon Monday. Cancer Treatment Center, 4000 N. Illinois Lane, Swansea. Learn how to use fresh, seasonal favorites to enhance your nutrition. Presented by Ashley Amos and Lauren Flieg. RSVP: 618-236-1000 or email@example.com.
▪ Fiesta Fundraiser — 4 p.m. Mass, 5 p.m. doors open. Saturday. 6 p.m. dinner served. St. Ann Parish Center, 675 S. Mill St., Nashville. Must be 21 to attend. Silent and live auction, raffles and entertainment. Tickets $40, advance reservations only. Tickets: 618-327-8741 or stanndinnerauction.com.
▪ Pere Marquette State Park: Its History and Natural History — 2-3:30 p.m. Sunday. Edwardsville Public Library, 112 S. Kansas St. Richard Keating will talk about the geological history along the miles of hiking trails and the early human history of the region.
▪ Quit Smoking Tips and Support — 1:30-3:30 p.m. Monday. Cancer Treatment Center, Therapeutic Learning Center, 4000 N. Illinois Lane, Swansea. Meeting with pharmacist, dietitian and cessation counselor. Program is free, registration is encouraged. www.mymemorialnetwork.com/events or 618-257-5649.
▪ Red Cross Blood Drive — 3:30-8 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 9. Millstadt Consolidated School, 211 W. Mill St., Millstadt. To make an appointment: 618-401-5122. Everyone welcome.
▪ Senior Health Screenings — 10 a.m. to noon Friday. Edwardsville Public Library. The Edwardsville Main Street Community Center has partnered with Anderson Hospital to provide free health screenings to seniors 60 and older. To schedule an appointment: 618-656-0300 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
▪ Toast of Marissa — 10:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday. Marissa. Featuring live music, grape stomp at noon, vendor village with food and merchandise, car show from noon to 3 p.m. and cookie contest from noon to 3 p.m.
▪ Vendors Jubilee — 5 p.m. Sunday. Four Points by Sheraton, 319 Fountain Parkway, Fairview Heights. Free admission and open to the public. Jewelry, clothes, handbags and more for sale. First hundred to attend will receive a gift.
▪ World Diabetes Day discussion —6-8 p.m. Tuesday. Memorial Hospital East, 1404 Cross St., Shiloh. Niraj Shah, a Memorial Medical Group family physician, will discuss current treatments regarding diabetes to mark World Diabetes Day. The program is free but registration is required. 618-257-5649 or www.mymemorialnetwork.com/events.
▪ Alzheimer’s Support Group-Collinsville — 1:30-3 p.m. Tuesday. St. John’s Community Care, Collinsville. Join others dealing with dementia and memory loss at St. John’s Community Care. Complimentary care for loved ones available with reservation. 618-344-5008.
▪ Family Caregiver Support Group-Edwardsville — 6:30-8 p.m. Wednesday. St. John’s Community Care, Edwardsville. A support group intended for family caregivers caring for loved ones with any type of disability.
▪ Annual Wurstmarkt — 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sunday. Freeburg Masonic Lodge, 205 W. High St., Freeburg. Adults $10, child $5, under 5 free. Pork sausage, sauerkraut, sides. Carry outs available. Served buffet style.
▪ Aviston Legion Fish & Chicken Fry — 4:30-7 p.m. Friday. American Legion Post 1239, 601 S. Clinton, Aviston. Cod, catfish, shrimp, chicken strips, sides. Eat in or carryout. 618-228-7311 or www.avistonlegion.com.
▪ Knights of Columbus Candlelight Steak Dinner — 4:30-8 p.m. Saturday. St. Agatha’s Parish Center, 207 S. Market St., New Athens. Menu: ribeye steak, jumbo shrimp or marinated chicken breast and sides. Hamburgers and cheeseburgers available. Everyone welcome.
▪ Caseyville Fish Fry — 4-7 p.m. Friday, Caseyville VFW Post 1117, 415 N. Long, Caseyville. Fish plates, desserts, sandwiches, burgers and more. Bingo at 7 p.m.
▪ Collinsville Fish Fry — 3-8 p.m. Friday, Collinsville VFW Post 5691, 1234 Vandalia, Collinsville. Eat-in or carryout. Cod, catfish fillets, tilapia, sides.
▪ Collinsville Fish Fry — 3-8 p.m. Friday, Collinsville American Legion, 1022 Vandalia St., Collinsville. North Atlantic cod, whole catfish, sides, desserts. 618-345-2508.
▪ Collinsville Fish Fry — 4-7:30 p.m. Friday. Knights of Columbus Hall, 1 Columbus Plaza, Collinsville. Eat in or carryout. Fried/baked cod, catfish, sides. 618-345-1492.
▪ Fall Wurstmarkt and Country Store — 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday. 225 East A St., Belleville. Adults $11, children $5. Buffet style dinner and country store. Sponsored by the Belleville Masonic Temple Organizations. Open to the public.
▪ Freedom Farm Fish Fry Fridays — 4-8 p.m. Friday. Freedom Farm, 6355 Hilgard Memorial Drive, Freeburg. Due to popular demand, fish frys are back every Friday. 618-539-6095 or www.legionfreedomfarm.com.
▪ Highland Fish Fry — 4-7:30 p.m. Friday, VFW Post 5694, 1900 VFW Road, Highland. Eat in or carryout. 618-654-6367.
▪ Mascoutah Fish Fry — 5-8 p.m. Friday, Mascoutah VFW Post 7682, 620 Donaphan St., Mascoutah. Dine in or carryout. 618-566-2288.
▪ Millstadt Fish Fry and Jam Session — 11 a.m.-2 p.m., 4-8 p.m. Friday, Millstadt VFW Post, 200 Veterans Drive, Millstadt. 618-476-1180.
▪ O’Fallon Fish Fry — 4-8 p.m. Friday, Knights of Columbus Hall, 402 E. U.S. 50, O’Fallon. Cod and bluegill, burgers, hot dogs, sides. Eat in or carryout. 618-632-6229.
▪ O’Fallon Fish Fry — 4-8 p.m. Friday, VFW Post 805, 221 W. First St., O’Fallon. Fried and grilled fish, chicken, sides and desserts. Carryouts. 618-624-2651.
▪ Okawville Fish & Chicken Fry — 5-8 p.m. Friday, 205 N. Hanover St., Okawville. American Legion Post No. 233. Eat in or carryout. 618-243-6545.
▪ Shiloh Fish Fry — 5-8 p.m. Friday, 100 Eagle Drive, Shiloh. Cod, walleye, shrimp, chicken wings. Eat in or carryout. Auxiliary bake sale for charity. 618-624-5412.
▪ St. Mary Parish Fish Fry — 4-7 p.m. Friday. St. Mary School basement, 1706 W. Main St. Dine in or carry out. Cod or walleye, sandwich, plate or by the pound. Sides and desserts.
▪ St. Peter UCC Pancake Breakfast — 6 a.m. to noon. Saturday. 11 W. Church St., Lenzburg. Whole hog sausage, made from scratch pancakes and fresh meat for sale. Also, the Sunday School craft and bake sale will be held. 618-475-2557.
▪ Swansea Fish Stand — 11 a.m.-8 p.m. Friday and Saturday, 216 Service St., Swansea. Cod, walleye, catfish, shrimp and more. Saturday: fried chicken. 618-222-7171.
▪ Troy VFW Fish Fry — 4-7 p.m. Friday, Troy VFW Post 976 and Auxiliary, 123-A W. Market St., Troy. Cod, catfish, jack salmon, baked fish, chicken strips, shrimp. Dine in or carry out. 618-667-8387.
▪ Walton’s Chicken Dinner — 4-7 p.m. Tuesday. Knights of Columbus, 5420 Old Collinsville Road, Fairview Heights. Homemade desserts. Carryout, 618-632-5222.
▪ Walton’s Fish Fry — 3-8 p.m. Friday, Knights of Columbus, Hall, 5420 Old Collinsville Road, Fairview Heights. Homemade desserts. Carryout, 618-632-5222.
▪ Wurstmarkt — 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Sunday. Mascoutah Moose Lodge, 111 N. 2nd St., Mascoutah. All-you-can-eat pork sausage, sauerkraut and trimmings. Carry outs, 618-566-2833.
▪ Zion’s Wurstmarkt — 3-7 p.m. Saturday. Zion Evangelical Church, 117 W. White St., Millstadt. Dinner featuring pork sausage, all the trimmings, dessert and drink. Dine in or carry out. Adults $10, children $5, under 5 free. 618-476-1778.
▪ Belleville East Lancer Bands: Car Raffle Tickets — Entries must be received before Dec. 4. Buy 1 ticket for $20, 3 tickets for $50 or 7 for $100. Only 5,000 tickets will be sold. Proceeds will help to purchase new instruments for the Belleville East Lancer bands. Information: CarRaffle@lancerbands.org or www.lancerbands.org.
▪ Bridge — 11:45 a.m. Thursday. Collinsville Senior Center, 420 E. Main St., Collinsville. To participate, must have played bridge before. 618-310-1289.
▪ Bridge — 11:45 a.m. Tuesday. Senior Center, 10025 Bunkum Road, Fairview Heights. Sponsored by Caseyville Township. 618-310-1289.
▪ Cribbage Club — 6:30 p.m. Thursday. 1 Columbus Plaza, KC Club, Collinsville. Nine games played against nine different opponents. Yvonne Bright 618-344-1521 or John Bilski 618-398-1029.
▪ Eagles Shiloh Meat Shoot — Noon, Sunday. 100 Eagle Drive, Shiloh. They shoot from inside. See your shot on TV. Free bean soup.
▪ Euchre Tournament — 7 p.m. Friday. Everyone welcome. Smithton Senior Center, 711 S. Main, Smithton. 618-233-3370.
▪ Indoor .22 Rifle Shoot — Noon, Sunday. Millstadt Sportsmen’s Club, 4915 Schmidt Lane. Iron sights only. Refreshments available. Rain or shine.
▪ Meat Shoot — Noon, Sunday. Elks Lodge 664, 9480 Old Lincoln Trail, Fairview Heights. Meat and cake raffles. Free food.
▪ Polish American War Veterans: Annual Turkey Shoot — Noon Sunday. Polish American War Veterans Hall, 2180 N. 81st St., Caseyville. Drawings will be held for cash prizes and turkeys. Free ham and bean soup. 12/16 and 20 gauge shotguns allowed. No swedged, “bull” barrels or scopes allowed. 618-398-5040.
▪ Trivia Night — Doors open 6:30 p.m. Friday. Trivia starts 7 p.m. Columbus Club, 114 W. Oak St., Millstadt. Proceeds go to restoring buildings in west Belleville. $10 per person. 8 people per table. Mulligans, 50/50 drawing and more. Cash prizes for top three winners and for lowest table score. Bake sake, meat and cheese platters for sale. Reservations: email@example.com or 618-416-8520.
▪ St. Libory American Legion free dance and turkey raffle — 2-6 p.m. Sunday. St. Libory American Legion. Music by Rendition. Raffle drawings at 3 p.m., 4 p.m. and 5 p.m.
▪ St. Pancratius Euchre Tournament — 1:30 p.m. Sunday. St. Pancratius Hall, Fayetteville. $5 per player.
▪ Wednesday Club of St. Louis: Poetry contest — Contest runs until Feb. 1, 2018. Any adults over 18 who live within a 50-mile radius of St. Louis are eligible. Any person having won first prize in the contest twice within the last five years is ineligible for further cash awards but may be cited for honors. Prizes: $500, $300, $150. Details: www.wednesdayclubstlouis.org.
▪ Alice in Wonderland — 7:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday, 2:30 p.m. Sunday. Monroe Actors Stage Company, 202 S. Main St., Waterloo. By Lewis Carroll, adapted by Brainerd Duffield. Tickets: $12 general admission, $10 for seniors or students. www.masctheatre.org or 618-939-7469.
▪ Evening of Music — 7:30 p.m. Saturday. Union United Methodist, 721 E. Main, Belleville. A free concert featuring Gail Long on the piano, Devan Ellet on the marimba and Cheryl Schaefer on the flute.
▪ Looking Glass Playhouse fall play: ‘Ripcord’ — 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Friday, Saturday. 2 p.m. Sunday. Looking Glass Playhouse, 301 W. Saint Louis St., Lebanon. A comedy. www.lookingglassplayhouse.com or 618-537-4962.
▪ Eppinger Foundation presents ‘Evening of Traditional Music and Dance’ — 7-9 p.m. Sunday. American Legion Hall, 375 E. Locust St., Columbia. Featuring the George Portz and Friends of Bluegrass, Thunder and Lightning Cloggers. Free concert. 618-632-1384.
Worth the Drive
▪ ‘Days of Wine and Pilaf’ — 8 p.m. Friday. Jacoby Arts Center, 627 E. Broadway, Alton. Elsie Parker, the show’s vocalist, provides an English synopsis of each song with highlights of Edith Piaf’s life. Tickets $15. www.jacobyartscenter.org/tickets.
▪ Community Care Taco Sale — 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Friday. Community Care Center, 1818 Cleveland Blvd., Granite City. 12 orders or more will be delivered, $1.75 each. Call to order: 618-876-8770.
▪ Annual Craft Fair and Soup/Sandwich Luncheon — Luncheon 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Friday. Immanuel United Methodist Church, 800 N. Main, Edwardsville. Three kinds of homemade soup, chicken salad on croissant, pie and drink. Craft Fair, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Friday and 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday at Immanuel United Methodist Church.
▪ Chicken Dinner — 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday. Church Hall in Beaver Prairie, 13322 Church Road, Carlyle. Sponsored by Wheatfield Township Fire Department. Carryouts available.
▪ 48th Annual Sausage Supper — 3-8 p.m. Saturday. Grantfork United Church of Christ. Served family-style with homemade pies. Dine in for all-you-care-to-eat pork sausage, mashed potatoes and sides. Sponsored by Grantfork UCC Men’s Fellowship. Adults $10, children $5, under 6 free. Carry-outs available. Packaged sausage for sale.
▪ ‘A Night of Ionesco: The New Tenant and the Lesson’ — 7:30 p.m. Friday, Saturday, Sunday. Rogue House, 1320 Milton Road, Suite 3A, Alton. A new, professional, non-profit theatre based in Alton. The debut performance is by the French absurdist, Eugene Ionesco. 636-328-5120 or their Facebook page.
▪ Greater Alton Concert Association: Steven Vanhauwaert — 3 p.m. Sunday. Hatheway Cultural Center, Godfrey Campus of Lewis and Clark Community College. Vanhauwaert will perform the music of Liszt, Chopin, Schumann, Rachmaninov and Debussy. Tickets: altonconcerts.org or 618-468-4222.
▪ Open Mic Night — 7-9 p.m. Tuesday. Jacoby Arts Center, 627 E. Broadway, Alton. Free admission. Performers can sign up for 5-minute slots at the event or by sending an email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
▪ Flyover Comedy Festival — Thursday, Nov. 9, Friday, Saturday. The Grove Neighborhood, St. Louis. Shows will be at The Ready Room, The Improv Shop, The Urban Chestnut Beer Stage at Gezellig and Handlebar. Three-day event features five stages, 20 plus shows and 50 plus performers. Three-day passes $40 and available online: www.flyovercomedyfest.com.
▪ Central Illinois Numismatic Association’s Annual Autumn Coin Show — 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday. Northfield Center, 3210 Northfield Drive, Springfield. Admission $1. Free youth coin auction for children 16 and under at 1 p.m. 72 dealer tables. 217-787-3241.