What’s Happening for Feb. 22
Noon Thursday, Feb. 15, was the deadline to appear in today’s What’s Happening. We must receive your event in writing with a contact phone number for questions. Due to the large number of submissions, non-profit events are run only one time in print, will be edited and appear in the week before the event date.
Email: email@example.com. Mail to: Lifestyle, Belleville News-Democrat, 120 S. Illinois St., P.O. Box 427, Belleville, IL 62222-0427. Questions, call Heidi Wiechert at 618-239-2500.
Lenten Fish Fry
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
- Aviston Legion Fish & Chicken Fry — 4:30-7 p.m. Friday. American Legion Post 1239, 601 S. Clinton, Aviston. Cod, catfish, shrimp, chicken strips, sides. Eat in or carryout. 618-228-7311 or www.avistonlegion.com.
- Belleville Fish Fry — 4:30-7:30 p.m. Friday. 1549 Frank Scott Parkway West, Belleville. Fish by the pound, plate, sandwich. Sponsored by the Scottish Rite Masonic Bodies.
- Caseyville Fish Fry — 4-7 p.m. Friday, Caseyville VFW Post 1117, 415 N. Long, Caseyville. Fish plates, desserts, sandwiches, burgers and more. Bingo at 7 p.m.
- Collinsville Fish Fry — 3-8 p.m. Friday, Collinsville VFW Post 5691, 1234 Vandalia, Collinsville. Eat-in or carryout. Cod, catfish fillets, tilapia, sides.
- Collinsville Fish Fry — 3-8 p.m. Friday, Collinsville American Legion, 1022 Vandalia St., Collinsville. North Atlantic cod, whole catfish, sides, desserts. 618-345-2508.
- Collinsville Fish Fry — 4-7:30 p.m. Friday. Knights of Columbus Hall, 1 Columbus Plaza, Collinsville. Eat in or carryout. Fried/baked cod, catfish, sides. 618-345-1492.
- East Carondelet Fish Fry — 4:30-7:30 p.m. Friday. Community Center, 823 State St., East Carondelet. Cod cutups, shrimp and sides. Carryouts available. 618-286-8601.
- Ellis Grove Volunteer Fire Department Fish Fry — 4-8 p.m. Friday. Ellis Grove Volunteer Fire Department, 501 Eggemeyer Plaza, Ellis Grove. All-you-can-eat fish, catfish, cod and shrimp. Dine in or carry out. 618-859-3473.
- Fairview Heights Elks Lodge Fish Fry — 5:30-7 p.m. Friday. 9480 Old Lincoln Trail, Fairview Heights.
- Fish Fry Fridays — 4-8 p.m. Friday, Freedom Farm, 6355 Hilgard Memorial Drive, Freeburg. Sponsored by American Legion Post 58. Cod and walleye available by sandwich or plate. Homemade pizza also available. 618-660-6670.
- Friends of the Cougars: Fish Fry 2018 — 4:30-7 p.m. Friday. Albers American Legion Hall, 600 N. Bertha, Albers. Proceeds of fish fries used to support the Cougars Athletic programs at Albers and Damiansville Elementary Schools. Dine in or carryout. 618-248-5505.
- Germantown Legion Fish Fry — 4:30-7 p.m. Friday. 1208 Sycamore St., Germantown. Cod, catfish, whitefish, shrimp. Sides. All proceeds for youth. 618-523-4282.
- Highland Fish Fry — 4-7:30 p.m. Friday, VFW Post 5694, 1900 VFW Road, Highland. Eat in or carryout. 618-654-6367.
- Holy Childhood School Athletics Fish Fry — 4:30-8 p.m. Friday. Holy Childhood School, 215 N. John St., Mascoutah.
- Holy Cross Lenten Fish Fry — 4:30-7 p.m. Friday. Holy Cross Lutheran Church, 460 Church St., Livingston. Cod tails, Alaskan white fish, catfish fillets or shrimp. Carry outs available. 618-637-2146.
- Holy Family Fish Fry — 4-7 p.m. Friday. Holy Family Church, 2606 Washington Ave., Granite City. Cod, walleye, shrimp. Sides. Eat in or dine out.
- Holy Trinity Fish Fry — 4-8 p.m. Friday. Holy Trinity Catholic Church, 505 Fountains Parkway, Fairview Heights.
- Lebanon St. Joseph Catholic Church — 5-7 p.m. Friday. Church Hall, 901 N. Alton St., Lebanon. Cod, catfish, shrimp, sides, desserts. Dine in or carry out. No phone orders.
- Maryville Knights of Columbus Fish Fry — 4-7 p.m. Friday. Mother of Perpetual Help Catholic Church Parish Center, 200 N. Lange Ave., Maryville. Shrimp, cod, hot dogs, desserts. 618-344-6464.
- Mascoutah Fish Fry — 5-8 p.m. Friday, Mascoutah VFW Post 7682, 620 Donaphan St., Mascoutah. Dine in or carryout. 618-566-2288.
- Millstadt Fish Fry — 4-8 p.m. Friday. Millstadt Sportsmen’s Club, 4915 Schmidt Lane, Millstadt. Cod, shrimp, walleye, salmon patties, baked fish, desserts. Carryouts available. 618-476-1891.
- Millstadt Fish Fry and Jam Session — 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., 4-8 p.m. Friday, Millstadt VFW Post, 200 Veterans Drive, Millstadt. 618-476-1180.
- O’Fallon Fish Fry — 4-8 p.m. Friday, Knights of Columbus Hall, 402 E. U.S. 50, O’Fallon. Cod and bluegill, burgers, hot dogs, sides. Eat in or carryout. 618-632-6229.
- O’Fallon Fish Fry — 4-8 p.m. Friday, VFW Post 805, 221 W. First St., O’Fallon. Fried and grilled fish, chicken, sides and desserts. Carryouts. 618-624-2651.
- O'Fallon Fish Fry — 4:30-8 p.m. Friday. American Legion, 109 N. Penn St., O'Fallon. Tilapia, catfish, shrimp, chicken, burgers and sides. Dine in or carry out. 618-632-8879.
- Okawville Fish & Chicken Fry — 5-8 p.m. Friday, 205 N. Hanover St., Okawville. American Legion Post No. 233. Eat in or carryout. 618-243-6545.
- Parent Association of Notre Dame Academy and Knights of Columbus Cathedral of St. Peter Fish Fry — 4:30-8 p.m. Friday. Cathedral Campus Cafe, 200 S. 2nd St., Belleville. Cod and walleye by the plate or pound. Shrimp. Sides. Dine in or carry out.
- Quail Club Fish Fry — 5-8 p.m. Friday. Quail Club, 8303 Concordia Church Road, Belleville. Cod, walleye, shrimp and more. Sides and desserts. Carryouts available. No phone orders.
- Shiloh Fish Fry — 5-8 p.m. Friday, 100 Eagle Drive, Shiloh. Cod, walleye, shrimp, chicken wings. Eat in or carryout. Auxiliary bake sale for charity. 618-624-5412.
- Smithton Turner Society Fish Fry — 5-8 p.m. Friday. Smithton Turner Hall, 115 N. Julia Drive, Smithton. Fried cod and beer specials. Dine in or carry out. Homemade baked goodies. 618-277-9690. Menu online: www.smithtonturnerhall.com.
- St. Elizabeth Fish Fry — 4-7 p.m. Friday. St. Elizabeth Church, 2300 Pontoon Road, Granite City. Cod, catfish, pollock, jack salmon, shrimp. Eat in or carry out.
- St. Henry Fish Fry — 4-7:30 p.m. Friday. 5303 W. Main, Belleville. Cod, salmon, shrimp, sides. Dine in or carry out. 618-233-2423.
- St. Joseph Church Fish Bake and Fry — 4-7 p.m. Friday. St. Joseph’s Parish Center, 6 N. Alton St., Freeburg. Baked and fried cod, shrimp, sides, desserts. Sponsored by the Support Committee. Eat in or carryout. 618-539-4720.
- St. Rose Fish Fry — 4-7 p.m. Friday. St. Rose park location, 17633 St. Rose Road, Breese. Cod fish, shrimp, sides.
- St. Teresa Men’s Club Fish Fry — 4-7:30 p.m. Friday. St. Teresa, 1108 Lebanon Ave., Belleville. Fish by the sandwich or pound. Shrimp, spaghetti, sides and homemade desserts.
- Swansea Fish Stand — 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday, 216 Service St., Swansea. Cod, walleye, catfish, shrimp and more. Saturday: fried chicken. 618-222-7171.
- Troy VFW Fish Fry — 4-7 p.m. Friday, Troy VFW Post 976 and Auxiliary, 123-A W. Market St., Troy. Cod, catfish, jack salmon, baked fish, chicken strips, shrimp. Dine in or carry out. 618-667-8387.
- Waterloo Sportsman’s Club Fish Fry — 4-8:30 p.m. Friday. 4903 Sportsman Road, Waterloo. 618-458-9927.
- Waterloo VFW Fish Fry — 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Friday. Metzger Crook Post 6504, 406 Veterans Drive, Waterloo. Sold by the pound, sandwich or plate. Cod, catfish, walleye, salmon and shrimp. Carryouts. 618-939-7999.
- SWIC Annual Jazz Festival — 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday. SWIC Belleville Campus, Main Complex Theatre, 2500 Carlyle Ave., Belleville. All events are free and open to the public. Belleville West High School Jazz Band at 9 a.m. O'Fallon Township High School Jazz Band at 10 a.m. Masterclass by Jeff Coffin at 1:30 p.m. Belleville District 118 Jazz Band at 3 p.m. Jeff Coffin performs with SWIC jazz band at 5 p.m. Information: swic.edu/music or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Children’s Dyslexia Center of Southern Illinois: Book Sale — 4:30-7:30 p.m. Friday. Scottish Rite Building, 1549 Frank Scott Parkway West, Belleville. Most books $2 or less. Paperbacks $1. Proceeds benefit Children’s Dyslexia Center.
- Lindenwood Belleville: Fine and Performing Arts Open House — Check in 8 a.m. Welcome session 9 a.m. Saturday. 2600 W. Main St., Belleville. An open house for students interested in auditioning for Lindenwood University-Belleville scholarship opportunities. Information will be available about Lindenwood's extracurricular music and art programs. 618-239-6242.
- St. Clare of Assisi Catholic Church Community blood drive — 4-7 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 28. Fellowship Hall, 1411 Cross St., O'Fallon. To make an appointment: 618-632-3562 or www.bloodcenterimpact.org, code 10841.
- Kiwanis blood drive — 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday. Public Safety Building, 285 N. Seven Hills Road, O'Fallon. Appointment: 800-733-2767 or redcrossblood.org, code: KiwanisOfallon
- O'Fallon Fire Department blood drive — 3-7 p.m. Monday. 567 W. Third St., O'Fallon. Appointment: 800-733-2767 or redcrossblood.org, code: OfallonFire
- Chicken and Beer Fundraiser for James "Dumplin" Lauf — Doors open 6 p.m. Friday. Swansea Moose, 2425 N. Illinois St., Swansea. Dinner served from 6:30-8 p.m. Silent auction 8 p.m. Cost: adults $20, kids $5. Last year, James Lauf was diagnosed with stage 3 esouphegeal cancer. He has 6 children. Tickets: Dorothy Lauf, 618-514-5619 or Colleen Kleinschmidt, 618-210-4154.
- St. Elizabeth Hospital: volunteer recruitment — 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 22. 1 St. Elizabeth's Blvd., O'Fallon. Learn about volunteer opportunities, complete volunteer applications, schedule a physical and more. 618-234-2120, ext. 52132.
- Meet the Candidates Forum — 6-8 p.m. Monday. Louis Latzer Memorial Public Library, 1001 9th St., Highland. Forum for candidates of 108th Legislative District, 54th Senate District and 15th Congressional District. Hosted by the Highland Jaycees and Highland Chamber of Commerce.
- Metro East Baccalaureate College Fair — 1:30-3:30 p.m. Sunday. SWIC, Belleville Campus, Varsity Gym, 2500 Carlyle Ave. Free and open to the public. Speak to representatives from nearly 100 national colleges and universities. 618-235-2700 ext. 5526.
- 11th Annual Discovery Sundays: “Coal Mining in Madison County” — 1-3 p.m. Sunday. Maryville Community Center, 500 E. Division St., Maryville. Presented by Bob Gibson. Discovery Sundays are offered by Maryville Park and Recreation. All sessions are free and open to the public.
- Abraham Lincoln event — 2:30-4:30 p.m. Saturday. O'Fallon Public Library, 120 S. Civic Plaza, O'Fallon. Lincoln, portrayed by actor Kevin Wood, will tell stories of the 16th President. Cupcakes and trivia from 2:30-3 p.m. followed by Lincoln's arrival at 3 pm. Free event, best for families with kids in kindergarten and up.
- Rummage Sale — 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 22 and Friday; 9 a.m. to noon Saturday. Aviston American Legion Hall, 601 S. Clinton, Aviston. Event features raffle, attendance prizes, bake sale, half price on Friday and brown bag sale Saturday.
- Buck-a-Bag Sale — 9-11 a.m. Friday. 1050 N. State, Freeburg. Sponsored by Freeburg Food and Clothing Bank. Men’s, women’s and children’s clothing for $1 per bag. Toys, books, shoes and miscellaneous items for $1 a bag. 618-539-5070.
- Free Elder Care Workshop — 6 p.m. Monday and 10 a.m. Tuesday. Katy Cavins Community Center, 308 E. Fifth St., O'Fallon. Register online: eldercarelaw.com/workshops.
- "Open Your Heart to Yoga" — 5:30 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 28. McKendree Metro Rec Plex, 205 Rec Plex Drive, O'Fallon. Regina Chiu, cardiologist at the Prairie Casdiovascular Consultants at St. Elizabeth's Hospital, will give a brief presentation about heart health. Yoga instructors from the Rec Plex will lead participants through yoga poses. Free and open to the public. Registration encouraged: StEMarketing@hshs.org.
- Horse Owners Workshop — 6:30-8 p.m. Monday. Rural King Supply, 2801 N. Illinois St., Swansea. Free workshop led by Anna Pesta from Purina Animal Nutrition. Reservations to email@example.com.
- Artisan Guild of Southern Illinois Open House: Alcohol Ink Coasters — 6:30-8:30 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 22. Espenschied Chapel, 317 N. County Road, Mascoutah. Cost for the open house is $10 per non-member and $5 per member. Learn the basic techniques to create alcohol ink decorated coasters and take home your creation. Information: Eunice Peterson, 618-660-6030.
- Fairview Heights Woman's Club — 7 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 22. Caseyville Township Building, 10001 Bunkum Road, Fairview Heights. Nancy Radar will give program on "Health Month." Ladies are asked to wear red. Hostesses Synthia Kalinowsky and Tina Friederich.
- O'Fallon Woman's Club luncheon meeting — Noon, Thursday, Feb. 22. St. Michael's Episcopal Church, 111 O'Fallon Troy Road, O'Fallon. Theme is hat decorating and high tea. Questions: Pennie Pavlisin, 618-589-3777.
- Swansea American Legion Post 2007 meeting — 7 p.m. Monday. Swansea Improvement Association, 301 Service St., Swansea. Open to all members and any veteran interested in joining the American Legion.
- Alzheimer's Support Group — 7-9 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 22. Oak Hill, 623 Hamacher, Waterloo. An educational meeting and opportunity for sharing. Open to anyone who cares for or has a loved one with dementia or Alzheimer's disease. Information: 618-939-3488 ext. 1248.
- Belleville Optimist Club: Oratorical Contest — 6 p.m. Tuesday. Bellecourt Place, 120 N. Jackson St., Belleville.
- Chicken and Dumplings Dinner — 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday. Trinity United Church of Christ, 47 N. Douglas Ave., Belleville. All you care to eat chicken and dumplings, sides and drinks. Adults $10, children $4, 4 and under free. Carry-outs available. 618-233-2941.
- Sausage Dinner and Quilt Bingo — Dinner 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sunday. Quilt bingo at 1 p.m. St. Teresa School, 1108 Lebanon Ave., Belleville. Carryouts available. 618-779-7541.
- Millstadt Township Senior Center: Annual BBQ — 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday. Millstadt Township Senior Services, 102 S. Jefferson, Millstadt. Call in reservations by Friday. Proceeds benefit Meals on Wheels program in Freeburg, Smithton and Millstadt. Offering rib, pork steak, chicken and brat plates and sides. Information and pre-orders: Patty Evansco, 618-476-3731.
- Wurstmarkt — 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sunday. Carryouts start at 10:30 a.m. Okawville American Legion, 205 N. Hanover St., Okawville. All you can eat pork sausage, sides and dessert. Adults $11, children $5, ages 5 and under free. All carryouts $11.
- St. Peter and Paul Parish: Wurstmarkt and Bingo — 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. All you can eat pork sausage dinner, Sunday. 204 W. Mill St., Waterloo. Quilt bingo at 1:30 p.m in the school gym. Sausage dinner is dine in or carry out.
- Pancake and Sausage Breakfast — 7-10 a.m. Saturday. Concordia United Church of Christ, Route 163 and Concordia Road, Millstadt. Adults $8, children $5, under 5 free. All you can eat breakfast and baked goods for sale. For carryouts: 618-476-3377.
- Marissa Masonic Lodge Spaghetti Dinner — 4-7 p.m. Saturday. 1366 Green Diamond Road, Marissa.
- A Night at the "Mouse" Races — Doors open 6 p.m. Racing at 7 p.m. Saturday, March 10. Corpus Christi Parish Center, 205 Rasp St., Shiloh. $10 per person in advance. $15 at door. Event features 50/50 mouse roulette, 50/50 drawing, wheel, booze raffle, raffle drawing. Tickets and information: 618-632-7614.
- 2nd Annual Metro East Brick Derby — 10 a.m. March 10. VFW Post 805, 221 W. 1st St., O'Fallon. Cost $10 for registration and derby kit. Proceeds go to Bikers Against Child Abuse: Metro East Chapter. Register online: www.bricks4kidz.com/stl-metroeast or 618-218-5590.
- VFW Post 805 Auxiliary: Fifth Annual .1k Run — 10 a.m. March 24. VFW Post 805, 221 W. 1st St., O'Fallon. Race at your own pace for a distance of .1k to benefit the VFW National Home for Children. Register online: vfw805point1k.com
- Althoff Performance Arts Department: Trivia Night — Doors open 6:30 p.m. Games 7 p.m. Saturday. Althoff Catholic High School, 5401 W. Main St., Belleville. $15 per person, 8 to 10 per table. Mulligans $10. Event features 50/50, heads/tails, silent basket auction, show ticket raffles and student performances. Belleville News-Democrat's own "Answer Man," Roger Schlueter will read questions. Reservations: 618-660-5618.
- Bridge — 11:45 a.m. Thursday. Collinsville Senior Center, 420 E. Main St., Collinsville. To participate, must have played bridge before. 618-310-1289.
- Bridge — 11:45 a.m. Tuesday. Senior Center, 10025 Bunkum Road, Fairview Heights. Sponsored by Caseyville Township. 618-310-1289.
- Cribbage Club — 6:30 p.m. Thursday. 1 Columbus Plaza, KC Club, Collinsville. Nine games played against nine different opponents. Yvonne Bright 618-344-1521 or John Bilski 618-398-1029.
- Euchre Tournament — 7 p.m. Friday. Millstadt Senior Center, 102 S. Jefferson, Millstadt. Everyone welcome.
- Family Trivia to benefit St. Clair County 4H program — 7 p.m. Saturday. Agricultural Building, Scheve Park, Mascoutah. Doors open 6 p.m. $100 for table of 8. Age 4 and under free. Silent auction, mulligans, raffle. Sponsored by St. Clair County Extension and Education Foundation. Reservations: 618-939-3434 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Meat Shoot — Noon, Sunday. Practice at 11:30 a.m. Elks Lodge 664, 9480 Old Lincoln Trail, Fairview Heights. Meat and cake raffles. Free food.
- St. Clair County Bar Association Trivia Night — 7 p.m. Saturday. St. Luke's Hall, 226 N. Church St., Belleville. Doors open 6:30 p.m. Cost is $150 for table of 8. Reservations: 618-277-8919.
- "Transferred: a story about life after death" — 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 22, Friday, Saturday. Rogue House, 1320 Milton Road, Alton. Presented by The Rogue Theatre Co. Tickets at door are $15.
- Eppinger Foundation presents Layne Victoria: Blues, Country and Favorites — 7 p.m. Saturday. Columbia Legion Hall, 375 E. Locust St., Columbia. This concert is free to the public. 618-660-5790.
Worth the Drive
- St. Louis Working Women's Survival Show — Friday through Sunday. St, Charles Convention Center, One Convention Center Plaza, St. Charles, Missouri. A weekend of food, fashion, fitness, and fun, with over 400 exhibits. Tickets: www.eventbrite.com
- Historic Birthday Ball — 9-11 a.m. Saturday, Dance workshop. Noon to 4 p.m. Washington's Birthday Ball. Old Courthouse, 11 N. 4th St., St. Louis. Celebrate George Washinton's birthday as St. Louisans did in 1858. Free and open to the public. Information: www.gatewayarch.com or 877-982-1410.
- The Love Your Neighbor Project: album release show — 7 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 22. Wildey Theatre, 252 N. Main St., Edwardsville. Led by local musician Mike Sonderegger. Part of ticket sales go to Edwardsville Neighbors in Need. 618-307-1750 or www.wildeytheatre.com.
- The Last Inhabitant — 7:30 p.m. Friday. Wildey Theatre, 252 N. Main St., Edwardsville. Free admission and open to the public. A film that takes place prior to the dissolution of the Soviet Union about a man surviving the Armenian-Azerbaijani conflict.
- Illinois Speaks: Granite City Community Conversations — 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 22. Six Mile Regional Library District, 2001 Delmar Ave., Granite City. “Immigration, Past and Present,” is presented in partnership with the Illinois Humanities Council’s Illinois Speaks series. This is one of a series of community conversations designed to discuss ideas to make Granite City better. Information: 618-452-6238, ext. 755.
- Bald Eagle Days at Pere Marquette State Park — 8:30 a.m. Friday and Monday. Pere Marquette State Park, 13112 Visitor Center Lane, Grafton. Reservations are required. A site interpreter will present a program about bald eagles. After the presentation and short video, there will be an observational drive to view the wintering bald eagles. Reservations and information: 618-786-3323.
- "High Cotton" presented by 3 Purple Coat Productions — 11 a.m. Wednesday, Feb. 28. Benjamin Godfrey Chapel, Lewis and Clark Community College, 5800 Godfrey Road, Godfrey. 618-468-6400.
- BSA Blood Drive — 10 a.m. Monday. Lewis and Clark Community College, 5800 Godfrey Road, Godfrey. 618-468-6400.
- Holy Dormition Orthodox Parish: lunch to go — 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday. Holy Dormition Orthodox Parish, 300 N. 4th St., Benld. Dinners $9. Beef stroganoff, cabbage rolls, stuffed crepes and more for sale. Pre-orders, call or text: Debbie Spears, 217-313-6522 or Tatyana Meierkord, 217-720-5099.