What’s Happening for July 27
Noon Thursday, July 19, was the deadline to appear in today’s What’s Happening. We must receive your event in writing with a contact phone number for questions. Due to the large number of submissions, non-profit events are run only one time in print, will be edited and appear in the week before the event date.
Email: email@example.com. Mail to: Lifestyle, Belleville News-Democrat, 120 S. Illinois St., P.O. Box 427, Belleville, IL 62222-0427. Questions, call Jennifer Green at 618-239-2643.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to Belleville News-Democrat
▪ Smithton Homecoming Picnic — Friday and Saturday. Turner Park, Smithton. Parade at 5 p.m. Saturday. Event features live music, carnival rides, “famous” fried fish and games.
▪ Heritage Days — 8 a.m. to dusk Friday and Saturday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday. American Farm Heritage Museum, 1395 Museum Ave., Greenville. Heritage Days features train rides, antique tractors, tractor pulls, working displays, daily tractor parades, farm life, quilting demonstrations, live music and more. Car cruise on Sunday. Admission $7 per person, per day, children under 12 admitted free. Weekend armband is $10. www.americanfarmheritagemuseum.com or 618-664-9733.
▪ School Supply and Clothing Giveaway — 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday. Signal Hill United Methodist Church, 47 Signal Hill Place, Belleville. Free backpacks, school supplies, clothing while supplies last. 618-397-7780.
▪ O’Fallon Kiwanis Club: ‘Live Music at the Q’ — 5 to 8 p.m. Tuesday. Dairy Queen, 300 E. Highway 50, O’Fallon. Event will take place rain or shine. Bob Ellison performing. Event supports Kiwanis senior citizen and youth activities.
▪ Kingdom Spectrum Explosion Conference 2018 — 7 p.m. Friday, 7 p.m. Saturday, 10 a.m. Sunday. Conqueror’s Christian Center, 200 E. Washington St., Belleville. Presented by John Curry Ministries. Featuring guest psalmist Minister Ruth Dente from Toronto, Canada, guest speaker Pastor Jay Caprietta of Atlanta, Georgia, and host pastors John and Sheila Curry.
▪ Belleville West End Summer Cleanup — 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. Saturday. Meet at Aflac Insurance, Forbes Agency at the intersection of 157 and Foley Drive, Belleville. Wear visible clothing, gloves to participate in a litter cleanup walk. 618-974-1744
▪ Mississippian Conference — 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday. Cahokia Mounds State Historic Site, 30 Ramey St., Collinsville. Presentations by archaeologists. Open to public. $5 per person. 618-346-5160 or cahokiamounds.org.
▪ Second Annual Caritas Day — 10 a.m. Tuesday. Fontebella Maternity Home, 950 Hartman Lane, O’Fallon. Day includes ribbon cutting event, refreshments, garage sale at noon. Funds raised benefit the Fontebella program.
▪ Home’s Best Friend Adoption Event and Open House — 10 a.m. to noon, Saturday. Partners for Pets, 9136 Lower Marine Road, St. Jacob. 618-540-7387 or partnersforpetsil.org.
▪ Downtown Sidewalk Sale — Friday and Saturday. Hours vary by store. Downtown Belleville. Sponsored by Belleville Main Street. bellevillemainstreet.net.
▪ Parkview Church Flea Market — 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday. Parkview Church, 50 Longacre Drive, Fairview Heights.
▪ Classic and Antique Tractor Pull — 6 p.m. Saturday. Summerfield Lions Club, 100 E. Park St., Summerfield. Registration 5 p.m. 618-806-4487 or 618-934-3841.
▪ Old Town Farmers’ Market — 7:30 a.m. to noon Saturday. First block of South Charles between East Main and East Washington Streets, Belleville. Locally grown fruits, vegetables, meat, honey, baked goods, dog treats, plants and crafts.
▪ ‘Come as You Are’ Tai Chi — 5 p.m. Every Wednesday. Ever and Anon Park, corner of East Main and Mascoutah Ave., Belleville. Free one-hour class for all ages and skill levels. Sponsored by the Belleville Heritage Society.
▪ Millstadt Farmer’s Market — 3 to 6 p.m. Friday. Veterans of Foreign Wars parking lot, W. Washington St., Millstadt.
▪ Mascoutah Farmers Market — 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Saturday. Across from Mascoutah City Hall, 3 W. Main St., Mascoutah.
▪ American Red Cross Blood Drive — 2 to 6 p.m. Monday. First Christian Church, 5929 Old St. Louis Road, Belleville. Donors badly needed. To schedule an appointment 618-233-5380 or redcrossblood.org.
▪ Freeburg Food and Clothing Bank: Buck-A-Bag Sale — 9 to 11 a.m. Friday. 1050 N. State (formerly Kennedy Carpets), Freeburg. Men’s, women’s, children’s clothing, toys, shoes, and more available for $1 per bag. Books are free. 618-539-5070.
▪ MedExpress Free Sports Physicals — 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. thru Aug. 5. Swansea, O’Fallon and Collinsville MedExpress locations. Free sports physicals for patients ages 6 and older. No appointment necessary. medexpress.com.
▪ Bowl-A-Thon — 7 p.m. Saturday. Check-in starts 6:30 p.m. Bel-Air Bowl, 200 S Belt West, Belleville. Sponsored by Old Millstadt Water Tower. $20 per person includes shoe rental, attendance prizes. To register 618-476-7326.
▪ Aviston Legion Fish and Chicken Fry — 4:30-7 p.m. Friday. American Legion Post 1239, 601 S. Clinton, Aviston. Cod, catfish, shrimp, chicken strips, sides. Eat in or carryout. 618-228-7311 or www.avistonlegion.com.
▪ Caseyville Fish Fry — 4-7 p.m. Friday, Caseyville VFW Post 1117, 415 N. Long, Caseyville. Fish plates, desserts, sandwiches, burgers and more. Bingo at 7 p.m.
▪ Collinsville Fish Fry — 3-8 p.m. Friday, Collinsville American Legion, 1022 Vandalia St., Collinsville. North Atlantic cod, whole catfish, sides, desserts. 618-345-2508.
▪ Collinsville Fish Fry — 4-7:30 p.m. Friday. Knights of Columbus Hall, 1 Columbus Plaza, Collinsville. Eat in or carryout. Fried/baked cod, catfish, sides. 618-345-1492.
▪ Highland Fish Fry — 4-7:30 p.m. Friday, VFW Post 5694, 1900 VFW Road, Highland. Eat in or carryout. 618-654-6367.
▪ Mascoutah Fish Fry — 5-8 p.m. Friday, Mascoutah VFW Post 7682, 620 Donaphan St., Mascoutah. Dine in or carryout. 618-566-2288.
▪ Millstadt Fish Fry and Jam Session — 11 a.m.-2 p.m., 4-8 p.m. Friday, Millstadt VFW Post, 200 Veterans Drive, Millstadt. 618-476-1180.
▪ O’Fallon Fish Fry — 4-8 p.m. Friday, Knights of Columbus Hall, 402 E. U.S. 50, O’Fallon. Cod and bluegill, burgers, hot dogs, sides. Eat in or carryout. 618-632-6229.
▪ O’Fallon Fish Fry — 5 to 8 p.m. Friday. O’Fallon American Legion, 109 N. Penn, O’Fallon. Carryouts available. 618-632-8879.
▪ Okawville Fish and Chicken Fry — 5-8 p.m. Friday, 205 N. Hanover St., Okawville. American Legion Post No. 233. Eat in or carryout. 618-243-6545.
▪ Shiloh Fish Fry — 5-8 p.m. Friday, 100 Eagle Drive, Shiloh. Cod, walleye, shrimp, chicken wings. Eat in or carryout. Auxiliary bake sale for charity. 618-624-5412.
▪ Troy VFW Fish Fry — 4-7 p.m. Friday, Troy VFW Post 976 and Auxiliary, 123-A W. Market St., Troy. Cod, catfish, jack salmon, baked fish, chicken strips, shrimp. Dine in or carry out. 618-667-8387.
▪ Waterloo VFW Fish Fry — 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Friday. Metzger Crook Post 6504, 406 Veterans Drive, Waterloo. Sold by the pound, sandwich or plate. Cod, catfish, walleye, salmon and shrimp. Carryouts. 618-939-7999.
▪ Bridge — 11:45 a.m. Tuesday. Senior Center, 10025 Bunkum Road, Fairview Heights. Sponsored by Caseyville Township. 618-310-1289.
▪ Euchre Tournament — 7 p.m. Friday. Millstadt Senior Center, 102 S. Jefferson, Millstadt. 618-476-3731.
▪ Lincoln Place Heritage Association Trivia Night — 7 p.m. Saturday. Doors open 6 p.m. Granite City Township Hall, 2060 Delmar Ave., Granite City. Cash prizes for top two teams. 8 players per table, cost per table $120. Silent auction, 50/50 raffle, mulligans and attendance prizes. Funds benefit Lincoln Place Heritage Festival. 618-451-2611.
▪ Girls Who Code — Thursdays from Aug. 9 through Nov. 15. Six Mile Regional Library District, 2001 Delmar Ave., Granite City. Girls ages 6-12 develop computer science skills in 10-week course. Space limited. Registration: 618-452-6238.
▪ When Mental Health Hits Home Conference — 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday, Aug. 24. Shrine Visitors Center, 442 South De Mazenod Drive., Belleville. Cost: $40. Includes lunch. Registration: 618-394-6270 or snows.org/help.
▪ 2018 Allsup Classic Golf Tournament — 8 a.m. Monday, Aug. 27. St. Clair Country Club, 100 S. 78th St., Belleville. Four-person golf scramble tournament benefitting Big Brothers Big Sisters of Southwestern Illinois. 618-398-3162.
▪ Optimist Club of Belleville — Noon Tuesday. Bellecourt Place, 120 N. Jackson St., Belleville. Guests always welcome. Speaker: Jim Miller, owner of “Collector’s Corner Shop-Treasures” on 125 E. Main St., Belleville.
▪ Granite City Senior Social Club dance — 1 to 3 p.m. Monday. Granite City Township Hall, 2061 Delmar Ave., Granite City. Admission $5. Lunch available for $3 from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
▪ “The Rocky Horror Show” — 7 p.m. and 10 p.m. Friday and Saturday. Looking Glass Playhouse, 301 W. St. Louis St., Lebanon. For mature audiences only. 618-537-4962 or lookingglassplayhouse.com.
▪ Take a Bow Showcase: “Mamma Mia” — 7:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday, 2 p.m. Sunday. Belleville East Performing Arts Center, 2555 West Blvd. Belleville. 618-409-0015 or takeabowshowcase.org.
▪ SIUE East St. Louis Center for the Performing Arts: Salute to Broadway 2018 — 6:30 p.m. Friday. East St. Louis Senior High School, 4901 State St., East St. Louis. Free admission.
Worth the Drive
▪ Farmers’ and Artisans’ Market — 8 a.m. to noon Saturday. Corner of Landmarks Blvd. and Henry Street, Alton. www.downtownalton.com or 618-463-1016.
▪ Land of Goshen Community Market — 8 a.m. to noon Saturday. Madison County Courthouse, 155 N. Main St., Edwardsville. www.goshenmarket.org
▪ Monroe County Farmers Market, Waterloo — 7:30 to 11 a.m. Saturday. The Family Video parking lot, 100 Plaza Drive, Waterloo.
▪ Sparta Farmer’s Market — 1 to 5 p.m. Friday. Broadway and St. Louis Streets, Sparta. Visit the market’s Facebook page for updated information.
▪ Freyfaxi Celebration — Noon, Sunday. Giant City State Park, 235 Giant City Road, Makanda. Join the Southern Illinois Pagan Alliance and Protogrove of the Gathering Water, ADF in a Norse ritual. All are welcome. Free parking. Potluck to follow. 618-924-0263 or www.sipagan.com.
▪ Alton Open — 3 p.m. Friday. 9 a.m. Saturday and Sunday. Andy Simpson Tennis Complex, Lewis and Clark Community College, 5800 Godfrey Road, Godfrey. 314-884-1077.
▪ Grafton Riverside Flea Market — 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday. The Loading Dock, 401 Front St., Grafton. Antiques, glassware, tools, candles, furniture and more. 800-258-6645.