What’s Happening for Aug. 16, 2018
Noon Thursday, Aug. 16, is the deadline to appear in next week’s What’s Happening. We must receive your event in writing with a contact phone number for questions. Due to the large number of submissions, non-profit events are run only one time in print, will be edited and appear in the week before the event date.
Email: email@example.com. Mail to: Lifestyle, Belleville News-Democrat, 120 S. Illinois St., P.O. Box 427, Belleville, IL 62222-0427. Questions, call Jennifer Green at 618-239-2643.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
▪ Germantown ‘Bier Fest’ — 4 p.m. to 1 a.m. Saturday. Schoendienst Park, Park Road, Germantown. Food, rides, live music, games and more. Germantownil.net
▪ Food Truck Festival — 4 to 7 p.m. Saturday. Scottish Rite, 1549 Frank Scott Parkway, Belleville. Live band, open house. Public welcome.
▪ Columbia Days Summer Festival — 4 to 11 p.m. Friday and Saturday. Turner Hall and Metter Park, 206 E. Legion, Columbia. Amusement rides, games, food, music and more. columbiaillinois.com
▪ Freeburg Homecoming — 4 p.m. Friday to 11:59 p.m. Saturday. Freeburg Recreation Park, 300 East Hill St., Freeburg. Great food, drink, tractor/truck pulls, carnival rides and entertainment. Free admission.
▪ Centralia Balloon Fest — 3 p.m.-10:30 p.m. Friday, 6 a.m.-10 p.m. Saturday, 6 a.m.-6:30 p.m. Sunday. Centralia Foundation Park, 600 N. Pleasant Ave., Centralia. Opening ceremony 3 p.m. Friday. Admission: $3 per day. Kids age 6 and under: Free. centraliaballoonfest.com
▪ O’Fallon City Fest — Friday and Saturday. O’Fallon Community Park, 308 E. 5th St., O’Fallon. The ‘City Fest’ features food, rides, games and live music from 4 to 10 p.m. on Friday and beginning at noon on Saturday. There will be a car show, bike ride and fun run at 8 a.m. on Saturday. Parade at 5 p.m. Saturday with the parade route going down Lincoln Street.
▪ Annual Kirchenfest — 3 to 8 p.m. Saturday. Hecker Community Center building and grounds, Hecker. Event features old fashioned fried chicken and pork sausage dinners, mass at 4 p.m., quilt bingo at 6:30 p.m., live music, half mile fun walk and run at 7:15 p.m. and the 12th Annual Tiki Trot at 8 p.m. Also features picnic attractions and stands.
▪ Maeystown fire department barbecue and car show — 9 a.m.-4 p.m., Sunday. Maeystown. BBQ and “show us your ride” cars, trucks, motorcycles and tractors. www.maeystown.com/event/fire-department-bbq.
▪ Trinity U.C.C. Book Sale — 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday. Trinity U.C.C., 47 N. Douglas, Belleville.
▪ Cactus Moon Band — 8 p.m. to midnight Friday. 216 Service St., Swansea. Country music dance with free admission.
▪ Diva’s Night Out — 5 to 8 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 16. Registration: 5 to 7 p.m. at Ambassador Travel, 312 East Main St., Belleville. Ends at Gaslight Square, 227 East Main St., 8 p.m. for prize drawings and live music. Fee: $5. BellevilleMainStreet.net
▪ Illinois Trekkers Volkssport Club Traditional Walk — 8:30 a.m. Saturday. Randolph County YMCA, 130 S. Oak St., Red Bud. Walk includes 5k, 10k, 15k and 20k distances. Registration from 8:30 to 11 a.m. Participation fee: $3. Illinois-trekkers.org
▪ Back-to-School Event — 5 to 7 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 16. Quad City Community Development Center, 1634 7th St., Madison. Event sponsored for the first 200 students in attendance. Health services, food, music and fun activities. Information: 618-741-8422 or 618-846-4043.
▪ Square and Round Dance — 7 to 9:30 p.m. Friday. Caseyville Township Building, 10001 Bunkum Road, Fairview Heights. Kevin Bersing calling Squares; The Tevlins calling Rounds. Theme: Hawaiian Night.
▪ Free job counseling — Noon to 2 p.m. Tuesday. Belleville Main Library, S. Jackson and E. Washington streets, Belleville. Professional job counselors available for those who don’t have a job or those who want a better job. Free meal included. All are welcome.
▪ People of Possibilities class — 4:15 to 5 p.m. Monday. Memorial’s Belleville Health and Sports Center, 1001 S. 74th St., Belleville. Fitness class for people 12 to 35 years of age, with physical and mental disabilities. Class fee: $20 per month. Registration required: 618-398-2778.
▪ Old Town Farmers Market — 7:30 a.m. to noon Saturday. First block of South Charles between East Main and East Washington Streets, Belleville. Locally grown fruits, vegetables, meat, honey, baked goods, dog treats, plants and crafts.
▪ Swansea Farmers Market — 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 16. Rural King parking lot, 2801 N. Illinois St., Swansea.
▪ O’Fallon Farmers Market – 7:30 a.m. to noon Saturday. Next to the caboose, west of First and Lincoln streets, O’Fallon.
▪ Maryville Farmers Market — 4:30 to 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 16. Drost Park, 8 Schiber Court, Maryville.
▪ Mascoutah Farmers Market – 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Saturday. Across from Mascoutah City Hall, 3 W. Main St., Mascoutah.
▪ Millstadt Farmers Market — 3 to 6 p.m. Friday. Veterans of Foreign Wars parking lot, W. Washington St., Millstadt.
▪ ‘Come as You Are’ Tai Chi — 5 p.m. Every Wednesday. Ever and Anon Park, corner of East Main and Mascoutah Ave., Belleville. Free one-hour class for all ages and skill levels. Sponsored by the Belleville Heritage Society.
▪ St. John UCC Spaghetti Dinner — 4 to 7 p.m. Friday. St. John UCC, 21 N. Walnut St., Trenton. All-you-can-eat spaghetti (meat or meatless sauce), salad, bread, dessert. Dine-in and carryout available. Pre-order for drive-thru available by calling 618-224-9828 after 4 p.m.
▪ Fish Fry — 4:30 to 7:30 p.m. Friday. Scottish Rite, 1549 Frank Scott Parkway, Belleville. Public welcome.
▪ Aviston Legion Fish and Chicken Fry — 4:30-7 p.m. Friday. American Legion Post 1239, 601 S. Clinton, Aviston. Cod, catfish, shrimp, chicken strips, sides. Eat in or carryout. 618-228-7311 or www.avistonlegion.com
▪ Caseyville Fish Fry — 4-7 p.m. Friday, Caseyville VFW Post 1117, 415 N. Long, Caseyville. Fish plates, desserts, sandwiches, burgers and more. Bingo at 7 p.m.
▪ Collinsville Fish Fry — 3-8 p.m. Friday, Collinsville American Legion, 1022 Vandalia St., Collinsville. North Atlantic cod, whole catfish, sides, desserts. 618-345-2508.
▪ Collinsville Fish Fry — 4-7:30 p.m. Friday. Knights of Columbus Hall, 1 Columbus Plaza, Collinsville. Eat in or carryout. Fried/baked cod, catfish, sides. 618-345-1492.
▪ Highland Fish Fry — 4-7:30 p.m. Friday, VFW Post 5694, 1900 VFW Road, Highland. Eat in or carryout. 618-654-6367.
▪ Mascoutah Fish Fry — 5-8 p.m. Friday, Mascoutah VFW Post 7682, 620 Donaphan St., Mascoutah. Dine in or carryout. 618-566-2288.
▪ Millstadt Fish Fry and Jam Session — 11 a.m.-2 p.m., 4-8 p.m. Friday, Millstadt VFW Post, 200 Veterans Drive, Millstadt. 618-476-1180.
▪ All-You-Can-Eat Fried Chicken – 4 to 8 p.m. Wednesday. Millstadt VFW Post, 200 Veterans Drive, Millstadt. 618-476-1180.
▪ O’Fallon Fish Fry — 4-8 p.m. Friday. Knights of Columbus Hall, 402 E. U.S. 50, O’Fallon. Cod and bluegill, burgers, hot dogs, sides. Eat in or carryout. 618-632-6229.
▪ O’Fallon Fish and Chicken Fry — 5 to 8 p.m. Friday. O’Fallon American Legion, 109 N. Penn, O’Fallon. Carryouts available. 618-632-8879.
▪ Okawville Fish and Chicken Fry — 5-8 p.m. Friday. 205 N. Hanover St., Okawville. American Legion Post No. 233. Eat in or carryout. 618-243-6545.
▪ Shiloh Fish Fry — 5-8 p.m. Friday. 100 Eagle Drive, Shiloh. Cod, walleye, catfish, shrimp, chicken wings. Eat in or carryout. Auxiliary bake sale for charity. 618-624-5412.
▪ Swansea Fish Stand – 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday. 216 Service St., Swansea. Cod, walleye, catfish, shrimp and more. Saturday: fried chicken. 618-222-7171.
▪ Troy VFW Fish Fry — 4-7 p.m. Friday. Troy VFW Post 976 and Auxiliary, 123-A W. Market St., Troy. Cod, catfish, jack salmon, baked fish, chicken strips, shrimp. Dine in or carry out. 618-667-8387.
▪ Turkey Hill Grange barbecue — 4 to 7 p.m. Every Thursday through September. Turkey Hill Grange, 1375 E. Illinois Highway 15, Belleville. Featuring pulled pork, pork steak and brats. Proceeds benefit community service projects. Carryout or eat in.
▪ Waterloo VFW Fish Fry — 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Friday. Metzger Crook Post 6504, 406 Veterans Drive, Waterloo. Sold by the pound, sandwich or plate. Cod, catfish, walleye, salmon and shrimp. Carryouts. 618-939-7999.
▪ Bridge — 11:45 a.m. Thursday. Collinsville Senior Center, 420 E. Main St., Collinsville. To participate, must have played bridge before. 618-310-1289.
▪ Bridge — 11:45 a.m. Tuesday. Senior Center, 10025 Bunkum Road, Fairview Heights. Sponsored by Caseyville Township. 618-310-1289.
▪ Cribbage Club — 6:30 p.m. Thursday. 1 Columbus Plaza, KC Club, Collinsville. Nine games played against nine different opponents. Yvonne Bright 618-344-1521 or John Bilski 618-398-1029.
▪ Euchre Tournament — 7 p.m. Friday. Everyone welcome. Smithton Senior Center, 711 S. Main, Smithton. Partner Night. 618-233-3370.
▪ Health screening — 10 a.m. to noon Friday. Main Street Community Center, 1003 N. Main St., Edwardsville. Free health screenings for seniors ages 60+. Limited appointments; registration required. 618-656-0300.
▪ 9th Annual Bradley R. Smith Memorial 5k Run/Walk — 8 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 8. Troy Tri-Township Park, 409 Collinsville Road, Troy. For information or to register or volunteer, runforbrad.org
▪ Karaoke Contest and Music in the Park — 11 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 15. Schranz Memorial Park, 360 Honeysuckle Lane, Swansea. For information: swansearotary.org
▪ Gateway to the Stars: Kids Explorer Night — 7:30 to 10 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 25. Education Classroom at Gateway Arch Visitor Center, St. Louis. Free and open to the public. Space is limited. For reservations, call 314-655-1708. gatewayarch.com
▪ Parents Without Partners — 5:30 p.m. Tuesday. Olympika Restaurant, 127 North Belt East, Swansea. Orientation at 6:30 p.m. For more information, 618-234-5937.
▪ TOPS IL592 weight loss group — 7 p.m. Every Thursday. St. John UCC, Faith Hall Entrance, 307 West Clay, Collinsville. Weigh-in 6:30 p.m. 618-345-6218.
▪ Dupo Classmates and Friends — 11:30 a.m. Thursday, Aug. 16. Roundtable Restaurant, 6400 West Main St., Belleville.
▪ ‘Son’s O’ Bucks’ Banquet — 7 p.m. Saturday. Karban’s Knotty Pines, 4569 Buss Branch Road, Waterloo. Doors open 5:30 p.m. deltawaterfowl.org
▪ Gesher Music Festival — Through Aug. 19. Performance times and locations vary. See schedule at ges.hermusicfestival.org
▪ Odds Lane — 7 to 10 p.m. Friday. Hwy 61 Roadhouse, 34 S. Old Orchard Ave., Webster Groves. No cover. Hwy61roadhouse.com
▪ St. Louis Jewish Film Festival: “An Act of Defiance” — 4 pm. Sunday. Landmark Plaza Frontenac Cinema, 1701 South Lindbergh Boulevard # 210 Plaza, Frontenac, St. Louis. Tickets $13; $8 for students. jccstl.com
▪ Eckert’s Summer Concert Series — 7 to 9 p.m. Friday and Saturday. Eckert’s Country Store, on Route 15, Belleville. Friday:The Wooks. Saturday: The Baker Family. Free concerts. Eckerts.com
▪ Homecoming Gospel Choir — 6 p.m. Sunday. St. Matthew United Methodist Church, 1200 Moreland Drive, Belleville. 618-397-5994 or 618-245-9133. ilhomecominggospelchoir.com
▪ Blues at the Arch — 6 to 8:30 p.m. Friday. Gateway Arch National Park, North Gateway by the Eads Bridge. Performances: 6 p.m. Skeet Rodgers, 7:30 p.m. Inner City Blue Band, Dexter Allen. Free, open to the public. Information: archpark.org
Worth the Drive
▪ Cool off with a Good Book — 2 to 4 p.m. Saturday. Six Mile Regional Library, 2001 Delmar Avenue, Granite City. Enjoy an afternoon of cool reads and cool snacks. To register: 618-542-6238, ext. 785.
▪ Carlyle Courthouse Square Farmers’ Market – 4 to 7 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 16. 8th Street between Franklin and Fairfax streets, east side of Courthouse Square, Carlyle. Includes homemade soap and wine, baked goods, eggs. Carlylelake.com
▪ Late Summer Movie Night — 8:30 p.m. Saturday. 1820 Col. Benjamin Stephenson House, 409 S. Buchanan St., Edwardsville. Movie: “A Dog’s Purpose.” Free and open to the public. stephensonhouse.org
▪ ‘Jammin’ at the Zoo’ presented by Macy’s — 6 to 10 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 22. St. Louis Zoo, Government Drive, St. Louis. Live music, wine and beer tastings. Proceeds to benefit the Zoo and its efforts to save endangered species. Stlzoo.org
▪ Inaugural Jefferson County ‘Battle of the Badges’ blood drive — Noon to 7 p.m. Monday. Elks Lodge 1721, 4 Elks Club, Festus. Twelve first responder districts will participate. Donors’ blood donations decide who wins bragging rights and a plaque. To donate: 800-733-2767 or RedCrossBlood.org
▪ Farmers and Artisans Market — 8 a.m. to noon Saturday. Corner of Landmarks Blvd. and Henry Street, Alton. www.downtownalton.com or 618-463-1016.
▪ Monroe County Farmers Market, Columbia — 3 to 6 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 16. Schnucks parking lot at 100 Columbia Center, Columbia.
▪ Land of Goshen Community Market — 8 a.m. to noon Saturday. Madison County Courthouse, 155 N. Main St., Edwardsville. www.goshenmarket.org
▪ Nashville Chamber of Commerce Farmers Market — 7 to 11 a.m. Thursday, Aug. 16. In front of the Washington County Courthouse, 163 East St. Louis Street, Nashville.
▪ Sparta Farmer’s Market — 1 to 5 p.m. Friday. Broadway and St. Louis Streets, Sparta. Visit the market’s Facebook page for updated information.
▪ Monroe County Farmers Market, Waterloo — 7:30 to 11 a.m. Saturday. The Family Video parking lot, 100 Plaza Drive, Waterloo.