Noon Thursday, Dec. 6, is the deadline to appear in next week’s What’s Happening. We must receive your event in writing with a contact phone number for questions. Due to the large number of submissions, non-profit events may run only one time in print, will be edited and appear in the week before the event date.
Email: email@example.com. Mail to: Lifestyle, Belleville News-Democrat, 120 S. Illinois St., P.O. Box 427, Belleville, IL 62222-0427. Questions, call Jennifer Green at 618-239-2643.
▪ 17th Annual Angel of Hope Candlelight Memorial Service — 7 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 6. Bellevue Park, 401 Bellevue Park Drive, Belleville. The event is for parents who have lost a child and people who support them. A brief program will be conducted at the Stone Lodge in the park and will be followed by a candlelight procession to the Angel of Hope statue.
▪ Angel of Hope Ceremony — 7 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 6. Lake View Memorial Gardens, 5000 N. Illinois St., Fairview Heights. The event is for parents who have lost a child and people who support them.
▪ Book Sale — 9 a.m. to noon Friday. Tri-Township Library, 209 S. Main St., Troy. Books, magazines, puzzles, games, DVD and CD donations accepted during regular library hours or on day of sale. During inclement weather if Triad Unit 2 School District is closed on the day of sale, the sale will be canceled.
▪ Santa at the Township — 4 to 8 p.m. Friday. Millstadt Township Hall, 820 Jefferson, Millstadt. Additional times: 4 to 8 p.m. Friday, Dec. 14. 12 to 5 p.m. Dec. 8, 9, 15 and 16. Sponsored by the Millstadt Commercial Club and Millstadt Township.
▪ Breakfast with Santa — 7 to 11 a.m. Saturday. O’Fallon Masonic Lodge, 122 E. State St., O’Fallon. Children and adults alike will receive free pictures with Santa.
▪ O’Fallon Township Rummage Sale — 7 a.m. to noon Saturday. O’Fallon Township Building, 801 E. State St., O’Fallon. Men’s, women’s and children’s clothing, plus household items will be available.
▪ Trinity Lutheran Church Annual Cookie Walk — 9 a.m. to noon Saturday. Trinity Lutheran Church, 503 East Washington, Millstadt. All are invited to enjoy holiday cookies. Cookies will be available by the pound. Mixed cookies are $10 per pound. Fancy cookies are $11 per pound. Wheelchair, walker and stroller accessible.
▪ Breakfast with Santa — 10 a.m. to noon Saturday. First Presbyterian Church, 1303 Royal Heights Road, Belleville. Donuts, muffins, juice, hot chocolate and coffee. Take your own family photos with Santa. Cost: $3 per person or $15 per family. 618-233-0295.
▪ Gateway Garden Railroad Club Display — 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday. Oliver C. Joseph, 3795 IL-15, Belleville. Featuring the world’s smallest train layouts: Fright Fest, Wild West, Logging Railroad. Actual steam engine running on display. facebook.com/events/360434881187408
▪ Metro East Model Railroad Club Open House — 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday. Old Glen Carbon Fire House/Village Hall, 180 Summit St., Glen Carbon. Watch the trains running on the club’s 18 by 27-foot HO scale model railroad. Free admission. trainweb.org/memrc
▪ Tinsel Around Town: A Downtown Shopping Event — 12 to 4 p.m. Saturday. Downtown O’Fallon. Get wrapped up in the holiday ambiance while shopping local, enjoy strolling carolers and live music and warm up by the fire pit. tinselaroundtown.com or facebook.com/events/1287209578086464
▪ Candlelight House Tour: 25th Anniversary — 1:30 to 6 p.m. Sunday. Belleville. Featuring eight houses decked out in their holiday best. Hosted by the St. Clair County Historical Society. facebook.com/events/2363888236960076
▪ Yanda Cabin Christmas Celebration — 2 to 4 p.m. Sunday. Yanda Log Cabin, 148 Main St., Glen Carbon. See Santa and Mrs. Claus for the Cabin Christmas Celebration. Music and refreshments, photos. Please bring a non-perishable food item for the Glen-Ed Food Pantry.
▪ Bethalto Spirit Concert & Christmas Walk — 4 to 7 p.m. Sunday. Village of Bethalto, 213 N. Prairie St., Bethalto. Enjoy a return to a quieter time at the Bethalto Spirit Choir & Orchestra Concert immediately followed by the Victorian Christmas Walk. Stroll through the downtown area, view the storefront decorations, children’s craft areas, snacks, costumed characters, Father Christmas and more. Free admission. 618-377-8051.
▪ The Chamber Music Society of St. Louis’ 10th Anniversary Gala — 7 p.m. Monday. The Sheldon Concert Hall, 3648 Washington Blvd., Grand Center, St. Louis. Pre-concert cocktails and red carpet arrivals 6 p.m. “Notes from Hollywood – The Sequel” concert 7 p.m. Dinner 8:15 p.m. Honoring conductor, author and composer Leonard Slatkin. For ticket information: chambermusicstl.org/dec-10-gala
▪ Blood Drive — 11:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Tuesday. Mobile Donor Bus, HSHS St. Elizabeth’s Hospital, 1 St. Elizabeth’s Blvd., O’Fallon. Photo ID required to participate. Get a good night’s sleep, eat a sustaining meal and hydrate before donating. To make an appointment, 866-448-3253 or bloodcenterimpact.org, sponsor code 10155.
▪ St. Elizabeth Church Fish Fry — 4 to 7 p.m. Friday. St. Elizabeth Church, 2300 Pontoon Road, Granite City. Cod, catfish, pollock, jack salmon, shrimp. Eat-in or carryout.
▪ Quail Club Fish Fry — 5 to 8 p.m. Friday. Quail Club, 8303 Concordia Church Road, Belleville. Cod, walleye, shrimp, wings and burgers. Sides and desserts available. Carryout available. No phone orders.
▪ St. John’s UCC Summerfield Pancake & Sausage Breakfast — 7 to 11 a.m. Saturday. St. John’s UCC Summerfield, 109 W. Kavanaugh St., Summerfield. Pancakes, sausage, eggs, biscuits and gravy, drinks. Adults $8, children ages 5-12 $4, under five eat free.
▪ Aviston Legion Fish and Chicken Fry — 4:30 to 7 p.m. Friday. American Legion Post 1239, 601 S. Clinton, Aviston. Cod, catfish, shrimp, chicken strips, fried chicken, sides. Eat in or carryout. 618-228-7311 or avistonlegion.com
▪ Caseyville Fish Fry — 4 to 7 p.m. Friday, Caseyville VFW Post 1117, 415 N. Long, Caseyville. Fish plates, desserts, sandwiches, burgers and more. Bingo at 7 p.m.
▪ Collinsville Fish Fry — 3 to 8 p.m. Friday, Collinsville American Legion, 1022 Vandalia St., Collinsville. North Atlantic cod, whole catfish, sides, desserts. 618-345-2508.
▪ Collinsville Fish Fry — 4 to 7:30 p.m. Friday. Knights of Columbus Hall, 1 Columbus Plaza, Collinsville. Eat in or carryout. Fried/baked cod, catfish, sides. 618-345-1492.
▪ Highland Fish Fry — 4 to 7:30 p.m. Friday. VFW Post 5694, 1900 VFW Road, Highland. Eat in or carryout. 618-654-6367.
▪ Mascoutah Fish Fry — 5 to 8 p.m. Friday, Mascoutah VFW Post 7682, 620 Donaphan St., Mascoutah. Dine in or carryout. 618-566-2288.
▪ Millstadt Fish Fry and Jam Session — 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., 4 to 8 p.m. Friday, Millstadt VFW Post, 200 Veterans Drive, Millstadt. 618-476-1180.
▪ All-You-Can-Eat Fried Chicken – 4 to 8 p.m. Wednesday. Millstadt VFW Post, 200 Veterans Drive, Millstadt. 618-476-1180.
▪ O’Fallon Fish Fry — 4 to 8 p.m. Friday. Knights of Columbus Hall, 402 E. U.S. 50, O’Fallon. Cod and tilapia, burgers, hot dogs, pork steaks, pizza, sides. Eat in or carryout. Now accepting credit cards. 618-632-6229.
▪ O’Fallon Fish and Chicken Fry — 5 to 8 p.m. Friday. O’Fallon American Legion, 109 N. Penn, O’Fallon. Carryouts available. 618-632-8879.
▪ Okawville Fish and Chicken Fry — 5 to 8 p.m. Friday. 205 N. Hanover St., Okawville. American Legion Post No. 233. Eat in or carryout. 618-243-6545.
▪ Shiloh Fish Fry — 5 to 8 p.m. Friday. 100 Eagle Drive, Shiloh. Cod, walleye, catfish, shrimp, chicken wings. Eat in or carryout. Auxiliary bake sale for charity. 618-624-5412.
▪ Swansea Fish Stand – 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday. 216 Service St., Swansea. Cod, walleye, catfish, shrimp and more. Saturday: fried chicken. 618-222-7171.
▪ Troy VFW Fish Fry — 4 to 7 p.m. Friday. Troy VFW Post 976 and Auxiliary, 123-A W. Market St., Troy. Cod, catfish, jack salmon, baked fish, chicken strips, shrimp. Dine in or carry out. 618-667-8387.
▪ Waterloo VFW Fish Fry — 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Friday. Metzger Crook Post 6504, 406 Veterans Drive, Waterloo. Sold by the pound, sandwich or plate. Cod, catfish, walleye, salmon and shrimp. Carryouts. 618-939-7999.
▪ Bridge — 11:45 a.m. Thursday. Collinsville Senior Center, 420 E. Main St., Collinsville. To participate, must have played bridge before. 618-310-1289.
▪ Bridge — 11:45 a.m. Tuesday. Senior Center, 10025 Bunkum Road, Fairview Heights. Sponsored by Caseyville Township. 618-310-1289.
▪ Cribbage Club — 6:30 p.m. Thursday. 1 Columbus Plaza, KC Club, Collinsville. Nine games played against nine different opponents. Yvonne Bright 618-344-1521 or John Bilski 618-398-1029.
▪ Euchre Tournament — 7 p.m. Friday. Everyone welcome. Smithton Senior Center, 711 S. Main, Smithton. Partner night. 618-233-3370.
▪ Indoor Rifle Shoot — Noon Sunday. Millstadt Sportsmen’s Club, 4915 Schmidt Lane, Millstadt. .22 Rifle shoot, iron sights only. Refreshments available.
▪ St. Clair County Genealogical Society Meeting — 7 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 6. St. Luke’s Parish Hall, 226 N. Church St., Belleville. Includes installation of officers and the holiday party. Members are asked to bring a treat to share.
▪ TOPS IL592 Weight Loss Group — 7 p.m. Every Thursday. St. John UCC, Faith Hall Entrance, 307 West Clay, Collinsville. Weigh-in 6:30 p.m. 618-345-6218.
▪ Turkey Hill Grange — 7:30 p.m. Friday. Turkey Hill Grange, 1375 IL-15 (corner of Greenmount Road and Highway 15), Belleville. Guests and new members always welcome.
▪ Turkey Hill Grange — 5:30 p.m. Saturday. Turkey Hill Grange, 1375 IL-15 (corner of Greenmount Road and Highway 15), Belleville. Cookie Exchange (bring three dozen cookies) 5:30 p.m. Christmas party starts 6 p.m. Bring a snack to share. Entertainment by American Heritage Girls, the Turkey Hill Junior Grangers and the Turkey Hill Busy Bees 4-H Club. Children can visit with Santa. 618-910-3454.
▪ M.U.S.I.C. Swing Dance Club — 5 to 9:30 p.m. Sunday. VFW Hall, 1234 Vandalia St., Collinsville. One hour free lesson with paid admission. First-time guests get in free. Doors open 5 p.m. Lessons start 5:30 p.m. Dance 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. musicswingdance.com
▪ St. Clair Women’s Club meeting — Noon Tuesday. Bellecourt Place, 120 Jackson St., Belleville. Christmas luncheon.
▪ Optimist Club of Belleville — Noon Tuesday. Bellecourt Place, 120 N. Jackson St., Belleville. Meal and program. Guests and new members always welcome.
▪ Heartlinks Grief Center of Family Hospice Grief Support Group — 6:30 to 8 p.m. Tuesday. Family Hospice, 5110 W. Main St., Belleville. For parents and adult siblings grieving the death of a child/sibling due to an addiction. 618-277-1800.
▪ Collinsville Area Christian Women’s Christmas Luncheon — 12:15 to 2 p.m. Tuesday. Gateway Center, One Gateway Drive, Collinsville. Mini concert by Judy Dagraedt. Tickets: $17, includes meal, beverage, program and gratuity. Reservations are necessary – must be honored or canceled. All women are invited to attend. For reservations, 618-344-7967 or 618-345-9548.
▪ O’Fallon Sunrise Rotary Meeting — 6:45 a.m. every Wednesday. O’Fallon Township Building, 801 E. State St., O’Fallon. ofallonsunriserotary.org
▪ Belleville Metro East Christian Women’s Club — 10 a.m. to noon Wednesday, Dec. 12. Bellecourt Place, 120 N. Jackson St., Belleville. Christmas celebration luncheon with a mini concert by Judy Dagraedt. Cost: $13. Reservations (by Monday) and cancellations essential for luncheon. Call Sue at 618-567-3959.
▪ PSOP Book Club — 11 a.m. Thursday, Dec. 13. Papa Vito’s, 318 E. Washington St., Belleville. Book: “It Happened at the Fair.” Discussion leader: Karen Roseberry.
▪ YesSongs: A Tribute to YES with Thrak — 8 p.m. Friday, Jan. 4. Delmar Hall, 6133 Delmar Blvd., St. Louis. Doors open 7 p.m. Tickets: $12 in advance, $15 day of show. All ages welcome. Parking at MetroLink station behind concert hall. facebook.com/events/1137424606410625
▪ Brain Wave Sessions — 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 16. St. John’s Community Care, 222 Goethe Ave., Collinsville. Sessions to be held Wednesday and Friday for 10 weeks, starting Jan. 16. Sessions open to people experiencing early memory loss. Group provides a safe, positive, strength-based environment where participants can learn, share and engage together with an expert. Registration and assessment required. To register or schedule an assessment appointment, call 618-344-5008 by Jan. 4. stjohnscc.org/our-services/early-memory-loss
▪ Auditions: ‘Jesus Christ Superstar’ — 1 p.m. Saturday. Looking Glass Playhouse, 301 W. St. Louis St., Lebanon. Candidates for roles should be prepared to sing 16 measures of a Broadway show tune, do a cold reading from the script and learn a short dance combo. Production dates are Jan. 24-27 and 31, Feb. 1-3, 2019. For more information, contact Glenn Netemeyer at firstname.lastname@example.org
▪ SWIC Concert Choir & Chamber Singers: Carols by Candlelight IV — 7 p.m. Saturday. Union United Methodist Church, 721 E. Main St., Belleville. Free and open to the public. swic.edu/music
▪ Live Music: RiverBend Bluegrass Band — 7 to 9 p.m. Saturday. Jacoby Arts Center, 627 E. Broadway, Alton. Doors open 6:30 p.m. Cabaret-style seating. Cash bar. Parking available. Tickets are $10 and available for purchase at jacobyartscenter.org/tickets or at the door. jacobyartscenter.com
▪ St. Louis Classical Guitar Society Concert: Jérôme Mouffe — 8 to 10:30 p.m. Saturday. The Ethical Society of St. Louis, 9001 Clayton Road, St. Louis. Ticket prices start at $24. 314-567-5566 or stlclassicalguitar.org
▪ A Masterworks Christmas with Christine Brewer — 7:30 p.m. Sunday. St. Clare Catholic Church, 1411 Cross St., O’Fallon. Tickets: $20-$30 (group rates available). Tickets can be purchased on Eventbrite, by calling 618-304-9094 or at the door (please arrive early). Reception pre- and post-concert.
▪ Free Holiday Concert: Mehlville High School Choir Select Ensemble — 12 to 1 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 12. Old Courthouse, 11 N. 4th St., St. Louis.
Worth the Drive:
▪ Annual Snowflake Festival — 6 to 8 p.m. Friday. Robert E. Glazebrook Community Park, 1401 Stamper Lane, Godfrey. Visit the park, lit up with twinkling lights to celebrate the holiday season. Includes carolers, hot cocoa and pictures with Santa. Free and open to the public. 618-466-1483.
▪ 18th Century Regency Dance Program presented by Dance Discovery — 1:30 p.m. Saturday. Monroe County History Museum, 724 Elaine Drive, Waterloo. Program includes demonstrations of several historic dances of the Regency period by dancers in period dress. 618-939-5008 or monroecountyhistorymuseum.org