Noon Thursday, Dec. 13, is the deadline to appear in next week’s What’s Happening. We must receive your event in writing with a contact phone number for questions. Due to the large number of submissions, non-profit events may run only one time in print, will be edited and appear in the week before the event date.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Mail to: Lifestyle, Belleville News-Democrat, 120 S. Illinois St., P.O. Box 427, Belleville, IL 62222-0427. Questions, call Jennifer Green at 618-239-2643.
▪ An Evening with Santa & Mrs. Claus — 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 13. Caseyville Public Library, 491 S. Second St., Caseyville. Join us for stories and hot cocoa. Snag a photo of the kids with Santa and Mrs. Claus.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
▪ Free Gift Wrapping Event — 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Friday. Cambridge House, 844 Cambridge Blvd., O’Fallon. Drop off presents between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. Enjoy hot cocoa and cookies, sit and relax, or come back later to pick up wrapped gifts. Free and open to the public. 618-624-9900.
▪ Dandy Dancers Christmas Square Dance — 7 to 9:30 p.m. Friday. Caseyville Township Building, 10001 Bunkum Road, Fairview Heights. Kate Garrison calling Squares. Bob Pyles cueing Rounds.
▪ Belleville/Swansea Moose Lodge Dance — 7:30 to 10:30 p.m. Friday. Belleville/Swansea Moose Lodge, 2425 N. Illinois St., Swansea. Music by The Casuals.
▪ Book Sale — 9 a.m. to noon Saturday. Tri-Township Library, 209 S. Main St., Troy. Books, magazines, puzzles, games, DVD and CD donations accepted during regular library hours or on day of sale. During inclement weather, please call the Tri-Township Library at 618-667-2133 after 9 a.m. to see if event is cancelled.
▪ Christmas Cookies and Sweets Sale — 10 a.m. Saturday. The Pentecostals of Troy, 8965 Route 162, Troy. A variety of cookies and sweets at a variety of prices. No phone orders or early orders will be accepted. pentecostalsoftroy.org
▪ Wreaths Across America — 11 a.m. Saturday. Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery, Old Flag Circle, 2900 Sheridan Road, St. Louis. A holiday wreath-laying ceremony to honor and remember our nation’s veterans. Honors veterans from each branch of the military, the Merchant Marine, Prisoners of War and those still Missing in Action. 314-845-8320, ext. 4201.
▪ Wreaths Across America — 11 a.m. Saturday. Alton National Cemetery, 600 Pearl St., Alton. A holiday wreath-laying ceremony to honor and remember our nation’s veterans. Honors veterans from each branch of the military, the Merchant Marine, Prisoners of War and those still Missing in Action. 314-845-8320, ext. 4102.
▪ Skate with Santa — 1 to 4 p.m. Saturday. Tri-Township Park Activity Center (Spin City), 284 Riggin Road, Troy. Pictures with Santa 5 to 8 p.m. in the Community Center, 410 Wickliffe St., Troy. Sponsored by the Troy Lions Club. tritownshippark.org
▪ Dynamic Fusion Dance Center Christmas Recital — 2 p.m. Sunday. Scottish Rite, 1549 Frank Scott Parkway West, Belleville. Doors open 12 p.m. Pre-show 1:30 p.m. Recital 2 p.m. Fundraiser for Dance.Hope.Cure. Santa will arrive at 12:30 p.m. Homemade cookies, hot cocoa and other goodies available for purchase. Recital admission by donation only. Visit with Santa $5. All donations benefit Dance.Hope.Cure.
▪ Compassionate Friends 26th Annual Interdenominational Remembrance Service — 2 p.m. Sunday. Corpus Christi Catholic Church, 206 Rasp St., Shiloh. The service is for families who have experienced the death of a child. Reception will follow in parish center. You are welcome to bring your child’s favorite dessert to share. No reservations needed. 618-977-0924.
▪ Red Cross Blood Drive — 2 to 7 p.m. Monday. East Belleville YMCA, 2627 Carlyle Ave., Belleville. redcrossblood.org
▪ Meet Santa & His Reindeer — 5 to 8 p.m. Monday through Wednesday. Tri-Township Park Community Center, 410 Wickliffe St., Troy. Bring your camera. Hot chocolate and cookies available. Sponsored by the Troy Lions Club. tritownshippark.org
▪ Red Cross Blood Drive — 2 to 6 p.m. Tuesday. Glen Carbon Centennial Library, 198 S. Main, Glen Carbon. redcrossblood.org
▪ Dupo Community Blood Drive — 3 to 7 p.m. Tuesday. American Legion Prairie Du Pont Post 485, 200 S. 5th St., Dupo. Please bring a photo ID. 800-733-2767 or redcrossblood.org, sponsor code: DupoComm.
▪ Dining to Donate Event — 4 to 9 p.m. Tuesday. Applebee’s, 610 N. Bluff Road, Collinsville. Dine at the Collinsville location and present the event flyer to donate 15 percent of your bill to Metro Area Professional Organization to raise money for scholarships. To get a copy of the flyer, call 618-799-8020.
▪ Eugene B. Redmond Writers Club Annual Kwanzaa Celebration — 6:30 p.m. Tuesday. East St. Louis Higher Education Campus, 601 J.R. Thompson Drive, East St. Louis. Featuring the “Candle-lighting Ritual,” drumming, dance, social commentary and more. A free family event. 618-650-3991.
▪ Cambridge House Holiday Open House — 2 to 4 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 19. Cambridge House, 844 Cambridge Blvd., O’Fallon. An apartment and common areas will be open for viewing. Light refreshments and appetizers will be served. Free and open to the public.
▪ St. Joseph Church Fish Bake & Fry — 4 to 7 p.m. Friday. St. Joseph’s Parish Center, 6 N. Alton St., Freeburg. Baked cod, fried cod loins (plate, sandwich or pound), shrimp, chicken tenders, grilled cheese, spaghetti, sides, desserts and refreshments. Eat in or carryout. 618-539-4720.
▪ Breakfast with Santa — 8 to 11 a.m. Saturday. Amelia V. Carriel Jr. High, 451 N. Seven Hills Road, O’Fallon. Pancake breakfast with Santa served 8 to 10 a.m. Santa will arrive at 8:30 a.m. Crafts will be available to make. Canned goods will be collected for the O’Fallon Food Pantry. Free and open to the public. Hosted by the O’Fallon Police Department.
▪ Breakfast with Santa — 8:30 to 11 a.m. Saturday. St. Teresa’s Parish Center, 1108 Lebanon Ave., Belleville. Hand out with Santa and other characters. Offering face painting and reindeer food. All-you-can-eat pancakes and sausage for $8 (cash only). Hosted by Belleville East Lancer Bands - Belleville East Indoor Drumline and Winter Guard.
▪ Breakfast with Santa — 8:30 to 11 a.m. Saturday. Edison’s Entertainment Complex, 2477 S. State Route 157, Edwardsville. Festivities include pancake breakfast, photo with Santa, balloon artist, walk-in snow globe, all-access pass for bowling, laser tag and arcade. Breakfast served until 10 a.m. and includes pancakes, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage and breakfast beverages. Cost: $10 for breakfast only; $16 for breakfast and activities. 618-307-9020.
▪ Christmas Dinner with St. Vincent De Paul — 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 20. Cosgrove’s Kitchen, St. Vincent De Paul Outreach Ministry, 3718 State St., East St. Louis. Visit with Santa, Christmas carols, gifts for all.
▪ Aviston Legion Fish and Chicken Fry — 4:30 to 7 p.m. Friday. American Legion Post 1239, 601 S. Clinton, Aviston. Cod, catfish, shrimp, chicken strips, fried chicken, sides. Eat in or carryout. 618-228-7311 or avistonlegion.com
▪ Caseyville Fish Fry — 4 to 7 p.m. Friday, Caseyville VFW Post 1117, 415 N. Long, Caseyville. Fish plates, desserts, sandwiches, burgers and more. Bingo at 7 p.m.
▪ Collinsville Fish Fry — 3 to 8 p.m. Friday, Collinsville American Legion, 1022 Vandalia St., Collinsville. North Atlantic cod, whole catfish, sides, desserts. 618-345-2508.
▪ Collinsville Fish Fry — 4 to 7:30 p.m. Friday. Knights of Columbus Hall, 1 Columbus Plaza, Collinsville. Eat in or carryout. Fried/baked cod, catfish, sides. 618-345-1492.
▪ Highland Fish Fry — 4 to 7:30 p.m. Friday. VFW Post 5694, 1900 VFW Road, Highland. Eat in or carryout. 618-654-6367.
▪ Mascoutah Fish Fry — 5 to 8 p.m. Friday, Mascoutah VFW Post 7682, 620 Donaphan St., Mascoutah. Dine in or carryout. 618-566-2288.
▪ Millstadt Fish Fry and Jam Session — 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., 4 to 8 p.m. Friday, Millstadt VFW Post, 200 Veterans Drive, Millstadt. 618-476-1180.
▪ All-You-Can-Eat Fried Chicken – 4 to 8 p.m. Wednesday. Millstadt VFW Post, 200 Veterans Drive, Millstadt. 618-476-1180.
▪ O’Fallon Fish Fry — 4 to 8 p.m. Friday. Knights of Columbus Hall, 402 E. U.S. 50, O’Fallon. Cod and tilapia, burgers, hot dogs, pork steaks, pizza, sides. Eat in or carryout. Now accepting credit cards. 618-632-6229.
▪ O’Fallon Fish and Chicken Fry — 5 to 8 p.m. Friday. O’Fallon American Legion, 109 N. Penn, O’Fallon. Carryouts available. 618-632-8879.
▪ Okawville Fish and Chicken Fry — 5 to 8 p.m. Friday. 205 N. Hanover St., Okawville. American Legion Post No. 233. Eat in or carryout. 618-243-6545.
▪ Shiloh Fish Fry — 5 to 8 p.m. Friday. 100 Eagle Drive, Shiloh. Cod, walleye, catfish, shrimp, chicken wings. Eat in or carryout. Auxiliary bake sale for charity. 618-624-5412.
▪ Swansea Fish Stand – 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday. 216 Service St., Swansea. Cod, walleye, catfish, shrimp and more. Saturday: fried chicken. 618-222-7171.
▪ Troy VFW Fish Fry — 4 to 7 p.m. Friday. Troy VFW Post 976 and Auxiliary, 123-A W. Market St., Troy. Cod, catfish, jack salmon, baked fish, chicken strips, shrimp. Dine in or carry out. 618-667-8387.
▪ Waterloo VFW Fish Fry — 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Friday. Metzger Crook Post 6504, 406 Veterans Drive, Waterloo. Sold by the pound, sandwich or plate. Cod, catfish, walleye, salmon and shrimp. Carryouts. 618-939-7999.
▪ Bridge — 11:45 a.m. Thursday. Collinsville Senior Center, 420 E. Main St., Collinsville. To participate, must have played bridge before. 618-310-1289.
▪ Cribbage Club — 6:30 p.m. Thursday. 1 Columbus Plaza, KC Club, Collinsville. Nine games played against nine different opponents. Yvonne Bright 618-344-1521 or John Bilski 618-398-1029.
▪ Euchre Tournament — 7 p.m. Friday. Everyone welcome. Smithton Senior Center, 711 S. Main, Smithton. 618-233-3370.
▪ Bridge — 11:45 a.m. Tuesday. Senior Center, 10025 Bunkum Road, Fairview Heights. Sponsored by Caseyville Township. 618-310-1289.
▪ PSOP Book Club — 11 a.m. Thursday, Dec. 13. Papa Vito’s, 318 E. Washington St., Belleville. Book: “It Happened at the Fair.” Discussion leader: Karen Roseberry.
▪ O’Fallon Woman’s Club Meeting — Noon Thursday, Dec. 13. St. Michael’s Episcopal Church, 111 O’Fallon Troy Road, O’Fallon.
▪ TOPS IL592 Weight Loss Group — 7 p.m. Every Thursday. St. John UCC, Faith Hall Entrance, 307 West Clay, Collinsville. Weigh-in 6:30 p.m. 618-345-6218.
▪ Grief Support — 6:30 to 8 p.m. Monday. Washington County Hospital, lower level conference room, 705 South Grand Ave., Nashville. Meeting on the third Monday of the month. Open to all adults coping with grief. myheartlinks.com or 618-277-1800.
▪ Optimist Club of Belleville — Noon Tuesday. Bellecourt Place, 120 N. Jackson St., Belleville. Luncheon and program. Guests and new members always welcome.
▪ Parents Without Partners — 5:30 p.m. Tuesday. Bandana’s, 4608 North Illinois St., Fairview Heights. Monthly meeting 5:30 p.m. Orientation 6:30 p.m. 618-234-5937.
▪ O’Fallon Sunrise Rotary Meeting — 6:45 a.m. every Wednesday. O’Fallon Township Building, 801 E. State St., O’Fallon. ofallonsunriserotary.org
▪ Fulton Junior High School Jazz Band performance — 5 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 13. Cambridge House, 844 Cambridge Blvd., O’Fallon. Refreshments will be served. Free and open to the public.
▪ ‘Amahl and the Night Visitors’ — 7 p.m. Friday. Collinsville High School Performing Arts Auditorium, 2201 S. Morrison Ave., Collinsville. A one-act, holiday-themed opera performed by the Collinsville High School Choirs and Southern Illinois University Edwardsville Opera Theatre. Admission: $5. kahoks.org/headlines/tag/performing-arts
▪ The Larry DeLawder Family Christmas Show — 6:30 p.m. Saturday. The Gathering Place Off Broadway Dinner Music Theater, 290 S. Burns, Sparta. Dinner 6:30 p.m. Show starts 7:30 p.m. Tickets: Dinner show $35, VIP $40, show only $20. For tickets call 618-965-3726. thegatheringplaceoffbroadway.com
▪ St. Paul UCC Fine Arts Music Ministry Concert — 7 p.m. Saturday. St. Paul UCC, 115 West B St., Belleville. Featuring the St. Paul Chancel Choir, the B Street Band, Glory Ringers and sing-along carols, including a candlelight audience carol. No cost for the concert; free will offering will be received. Reception in the Welcome Center after the performance. 618-233-3303 or stpaulucc.org
▪ ‘A Christmastime Reunion with Chapter 6’ — 7 p.m. Saturday. Faith Lutheran Church, 520 Highway 50, O’Fallon. Free public concert includes award-winning arrangements from the band’s “Christmastime” album, features holiday songs in six-part harmony with solos by Luke Menard, as well as Jarrett Johnson, who currently tours as a backup singer for Michael Bublé. Includes former area resident and baritone vocalist Aaron Stonecipher.
▪ Christmas Carols with the Ramos Family Strings and the Union United Methodist Sanctuary Choir — 9 a.m. Sunday. Union United Methodist Church, 721 E. Main St., Belleville. Followed by a Christmas tea. Free and open to the public.
▪ Metro East Community Chorale Christmas Concert — 3 p.m. Sunday. First United Methodist Church, 504 E. Highway 50, O’Fallon. Featuring carols, spiritual songs and holiday favorites. Free and open to the public. metroeastcommunitychorale.org
▪ Christmas Concert: Fanfare with special guest Dawn Weber — 3 p.m. Sunday. Ivory Theatre, 7620 Michigan Ave., Carondelet, Mo. facebook.com/events/367223080687150
▪ The Gospel Messengers in Concert — 6 p.m. Sunday. Crossview Church, 915 E. Highway 50, O’Fallon. All are welcome.
▪ $2 Movies at the Wildey: ‘Elf’ — 7 p.m. Tuesday. Wildey Theatre, 252 North Main St., Edwardsville. Tickets only available the day of the show one hour before showtime. Cash or check only. (Charge/Debit cards accepted for concessions) All seats general admission.
Worth the Drive
▪ Southern Illinois Pagan Alliance annual Yule Ritual — 6 to 10 p.m. Saturday. Gaia House Interfaith Center, 913 S. Illinois Ave., Carbondale. The gathering starts 6 p.m.; the ritual starts 7 p.m. A gift exchange will be held after the ritual. Please bring a small wrapped gift if you wish to participate. Potluck to follow. Raffle, silent auction. facebook.com/events/1942690382704136