Coronavirus

More deaths from St. Clair County care centers but no new cases for first time since May

The St. Clair County Health Department on Monday announced three more deaths from long-term care centers with coronavirus outbreaks.

But for the first time since May 31, health officials said there were no new cases of the COVID-19 respiratory disease, caused by the coronavirus, recorded at the facilities.

“I’m happy to report that today is the first day in quite a while that we have not had any additional cases added to any of our long-term care facilities,” Samantha Bierman, emergency response coordinator for the health department, said during Monday’s county COVID-19 briefing.

The latest deaths reported were from the outbreaks at Cedar Ridge of Lebanon and Swansea Rehab and Care Center.

A total of 84 people connected to long-term care centers have died since the coronavirus pandemic began, according to the health department. Those individuals account for 65% of the 129 deaths from the virus countywide.

The department provides daily updates on the outbreaks and other developments in the county during 3:30 p.m. live streams by the St. Clair County Emergency Management Agency on Facebook.

Here is the information the St. Clair County Health Department provided Monday on locations in “outbreak status,” with two or more residents or staff who are COVID-19 positive or have COVID-19-like symptoms. The health department does not provide a breakdown of how many residents or employees are affected:

  • 156-bed facility Four Fountains in Belleville — 104 people affected, including 27 deaths (No change reported since June 12)
  • 116-bed facility Cedar Ridge of Lebanon — 58 people, including seven deaths (Two more deaths than what was reported Sunday)
  • 53-bed facility New Athens Home for the Aged — 55 people, including seven deaths (No change reported since Saturday)
  • 90-bed facility Lebanon Care Center — 54 people, including 10 deaths (No change reported since June 1)
  • 140-bed facility BRIA of Belleville — 48 people, including six deaths (No change reported since June 12)
  • 108-bed facility St. Paul’s Home in Belleville — 45 people, including 14 deaths (No change reported since Saturday)
  • 82-bed facility Memorial Care Center in Belleville — 44 people, including five deaths (No change reported since June 8)
  • 94-bed facility Swansea Rehab and Care Center — 29 people, including five deaths (One more death than what was reported Sunday)
  • 133-bed facility BRIA of Cahokia — 23 people, including two deaths (Based on June 12 state data because the facility is outside of the St. Clair County Health Department’s jurisdiction)
  • Caritas Family Solutions in Belleville region — 12 people (No change reported since June 5)
  • Cedarhurst of Shiloh — 12 people (No change reported since June 5)
  • Knollwood Retirement Center in Caseyville — Eight people, including one death (No change reported since May 25)
  • Colonnade Senior Living in O’Fallon — Five people
  • Help at Home in O’Fallon — Five people (No change reported since May 4)
  • TDL Inc. in Belleville — Four people (No change reported since May 6)
  • Caseyville Nursing and Rehab — Three people (No change reported since May 28)
  • Atrium of Belleville — Two people (No change reported since June 8) Roberto Roma, the Atrium of Belleville’s executive director, said previously that the two people affected by COVID-19 were an employee who quarantined and a resident who moved out of the facility in March.
  • Help at Home in Belleville — Two people (No change reported since May 23)

The website medicare.gov records the number of beds for Medicare- and Medicaid-certified nursing homes.

The following increases in the number of people affected by outbreaks were reported over the weekend:

  • Cedar Ridge of Lebanon — Seven more people and one more death announced Saturday. Another death announced Sunday.
  • New Athens Home for the Aged — One more death announced Sunday.
  • St. Paul’s Home — One more person announced Saturday.
  • Swansea Rehab and Care Center — One more person announced Sunday.

Health department correction

On Monday, the St. Clair County Health Department corrected the number of COVID-19 cases from Colonnade Senior Living in O’Fallon.

It had been recording six people affected by the coronavirus outbreak since June 12. The number changed to five Monday.

Samantha Bierman, emergency response coordinator, said during the briefing Monday that officials had learned there was an error with one person’s address.

This story was originally published June 15, 2020 at 5:12 PM.

Lexi Cortes
Belleville News-Democrat
The metro-east is home for investigative reporter Lexi Cortes. She was raised in Granite City and Edwardsville and graduated from Southern Illinois University Edwardsville in 2014. Lexi joined the Belleville News-Democrat in 2014 and has won multiple state awards for her investigative and community service reporting. Support my work with a digital subscription
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER