Swansea long-term care center reporting new coronavirus outbreak, health department says
Mercy Rehab and Care Center in Swansea is the latest long-term care center in St. Clair County to report an outbreak of the coronavirus, the health department announced Wednesday.
The 120-bed facility is reporting that two people are affected, the minimum amount to be considered an outbreak, according to the St. Clair County Health Department.
Across the county, 19 long-term care centers have now reported outbreaks of the virus that causes the COVID-19 respiratory disease.
Health officials provide daily updates on the long-term care centers and other developments in the county during 3:30 p.m. live streams by the St. Clair County Emergency Management Agency on Facebook.
Here is the information the health department provided Wednesday on locations in “outbreak status,” with two or more residents or staff who are COVID-19 positive or have COVID-19-like symptoms. The health department does not provide a breakdown of how many residents or employees are affected:
- 156-bed facility Four Fountains in Belleville — 104 people affected, including 27 deaths (No change reported since June 12)
- 116-bed facility Cedar Ridge of Lebanon — 59 people, including seven deaths (No change reported since Tuesday)
- 53-bed facility New Athens Home for the Aged — 56 people, including seven deaths (No change reported since Tuesday)
- 90-bed facility Lebanon Care Center — 54 people, including 10 deaths (No change reported since June 1)
- 140-bed facility BRIA of Belleville — 48 people, including six deaths (No change reported since June 12)
- 108-bed facility St. Paul’s Home in Belleville — 44 people, including 14 deaths
- 82-bed facility Memorial Care Center in Belleville — 44 people, including five deaths (No change reported since June 8)
- 94-bed facility Swansea Rehab and Care Center — 29 people, including five deaths (No change reported since Monday)
- 133-bed facility BRIA of Cahokia — 23 people, including two deaths (Based on June 12 state data because the facility is outside of the St. Clair County Health Department’s jurisdiction)
- Caritas Family Solutions in Belleville region — 12 people (No change reported since June 5)
- Cedarhurst of Shiloh — 12 people (No change reported since June 5)
- Knollwood Retirement Center in Caseyville — Eight people, including one death (No change reported since May 25)
- Colonnade Senior Living in O’Fallon — Five people (No change reported since June 7)
- Help at Home in O’Fallon — Five people (No change reported since May 4)
- Caseyville Nursing and Rehab — Four people (One more person than what was reported Tuesday)
- TDL Inc. in Belleville — Four people (No change reported since May 6)
- 120-bed facility Mercy Rehab and Care Center in Swansea — Two people (Newly reported Wednesday)
- Atrium of Belleville — Two people (No change reported since June 8) Roberto Roma, the Atrium of Belleville’s executive director, said previously that the two people affected by COVID-19 were an employee who quarantined and a resident who moved out of the facility in March.
- Help at Home in Belleville — Two people (No change reported since May 23)
The website medicare.gov records the number of beds for Medicare- and Medicaid-certified nursing homes.
Health department correction
The St. Clair County Health Department has corrected some information it reported to the public about the outbreak at St. Paul’s Home.
It had been reporting 45 coronavirus cases from the outbreak at St. Paul’s Home since June 13. Samantha Bierman, emergency response coordinator for the health department, said Tuesday the correct number is 44 cases.
“Some wrong information was reported in regards to a test result, so we have corrected that,” Bierman said during Tuesday’s county briefing.