Metro-East News

Metro-east business damaged in fire

Firefighters needed to tear out part of the ceiling and walls inside Lakeland Square Laundry Friday afternoon before they could put out a fire that started inside the business at 4555 N. Illinois St. in Swansea.
Firefighters needed to tear out part of the ceiling and walls inside Lakeland Square Laundry Friday afternoon before they could put out a fire that started inside the business at 4555 N. Illinois St. in Swansea.

A laundromat damaged after a fire Friday will be closed while repairs are made.

Aaron Gass, owner of Lakeland Square Laundry at 4555 N. Illinois St. in Swansea, said the fire started around 3:30 p.m. Friday in a dryer toward the rear of the building.

Northwest, Swansea and Fairview Heights firefighters arrived quickly and contained the fire, Gass said, but they had to tear out some ceiling panels and bits of the wall to do it. Smoke from the fire caused the most damage.

“There’s a ton of smoke damage throughout,” Gass said.

Some washers and dryers also were damaged.

Gass said it’s not clear what sparked the fire. He said he’ll have a better idea about how long his business will be closed for repairs after the weekend.

  Comments