1878: Brothers William and Frederick Niedringhaus establish Granite Iron Rolling Mills in Granite City where they manufacture sheet iron.
1895: Granite City Steel begins steel manufacturing.
1896: Granite City is incorporated as a city.
1951: Granite City Steel undergoes a large expansion.
1971: Granite City Steel becomes a division of National Steel Corp.
2002: National Steel files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.
2003: U.S. Steel Inc. purchases Granite City Steel from National Steel out of bankruptcy and renames the plant U.S. Steel-Granite City Works.
2008: U.S. Steel-Granite City Works and Sun Coke Energy invest $600 million in a new steam-powered co-generation plant constructed in Granite City.
2009: U.S. Steel temporarily lays off 1,600 workers at the Granite City mill when the plant is idled for about seven months, and 390 are furloughed.
Jan. 19, 2015: U.S. Steel Corp. announces plans to shut down Granite City Works’ coke ovens and lay off 176 workers by March because the ovens that produce the coke, or fuel used to manufacture steel, are more than 30 years old and are no longer economically efficient.
March 25, 2015: U.S. Steel announces it will consolidate its tubular operations and temporarily idle the Granite City mill and lay off 2,080 steel workers by or after May 28.
Source: City of Granite City and the BND