Forecasters put much of Missouri and southwestern Illinois on a weather advisory through noon Tuesday as temperatures were expected feel like they were below zero due to high winds.
National Weather Service forecasters projected the areas would see a high around 14 degrees Tuesday — with temperatures dropping down to 6 degrees Tuesday night.
Wind was expected to gust up to 20 mph, making the already frigid temperatures feel even colder.
Officials warned the cold temperatures, coupled with wind, could cause frostbite in as little as 30 minutes to exposed skin, and hypothermia can set in quickly. People are advised to stay inside, and when they have to go outside they should wear a hat and gloves, making sure all exposed skin is covered.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to Belleville News-Democrat
By Thursday, temperatures are expected to reach 40 degrees. The weekend should bring highs in the mid 50s.
Illinois Department of Transportation officials tweeted on Monday that even though snow had stopped falling, the wind could create unsafe driving conditions.
“Please be on guard for spot refreezing and blowing snow after the precipitation stops,” the tweet read in part.
A lengthy list of metro-east schools announced Monday evening they would be closed Tuesday due to the extreme cold.
Those schools include:
▪ Althoff Catholic High School
▪ Alton District 11
▪ Belle Valley District 119
▪ Belleville District 118
▪ Belleville District 201
▪ Bethalto Community Unit School District 8
▪ The Catholic Children’s Home in Alton
▪ Central School District 104
▪ Columbia Community Unit School District 4
▪ Collinsville Unit 10
▪ Dupo Community Unit School District 196
▪ Edwardsville District 7
▪ East Alton District 13
▪ East Alton-Wood River High School District 14
▪ Granite City District 9
▪ Grant District 110
▪ High Mount District 116
▪ Harmony-Emge District 175
▪ Highland Community Unit School District 5
▪ Jersey Community Unit School District 100
▪ Lebanon Community Unit School District 9
▪ Madison District 12
▪ Marissa Community Unit School District 40
▪ Mascoutah School District 19
▪ O’Fallon School District 90 (Board of Education meeting to be held as planned at 7 p.m.)
▪ O’Fallon High School District 203
▪ O’Fallon District 90
▪ Red Bud Community Unit School District 132
▪ Roxana District 1
▪ Shiloh District 85
▪ Signal Hill District 181
▪ Smithon CCSD 130
▪ St. Paul Catholic School in Highland
▪ St. Paul Lutheran School Wood River
▪ St. Peter Lutheran School Dorsey
▪ Triad District 2
▪ Trinity Lutheran - Edwardsville
▪ Valmeyer District 3
▪ Venice Community Unit School District 3
▪ Waterloo Community School District 5
▪ West Washington County Community Unit School District #10
▪ Whiteside District 115
▪ Wolf Branch District 113
▪ Wood River-Hartford Elementary District 15
▪ Freeburg District 70