Metro-East News

Fire disrupts lunch service at Memorial Hospital

Memorial Hospital in Belleville
Memorial Hospital in Belleville

A fire occurred in the cafeteria at Memorial Hospital on Thursday during lunch service, a spokeswoman said.

The fire was quickly extinguished, Spokeswoman Kim Renth said, and there were no injuries. Renth said no patients were evacuated or moved because of the fire.

“There’s no interruption with patient’s meals, but there may be limited choices,” she said.

Memorial did not know when the cafeteria would reopen; it was closed to patients, employees and visitors during cleanup, Renth said.

The Belleville Fire Department was on the scene for about one hour. Belleville Fire Chief Tom Pour said the food service area’s fire suppression system kicked in immediately. The health department has been called in for inspections, he said, as is standard procedure for commercial kitchen fires.

  Comments