Metro-East News

Southern Illinois man dies after mixing chemicals while trying to unclog drain

One person is dead and another injured after two people attempted to clear a clogged drain and mixed the wrong chemicals, according to the Southern Illinoisian.

In Grand Tower, Alvin S. Heggie, 68, mixed a commercial drain cleaner with bleach, creating a poisonous gas that killed him, the Southern Illinoisian reported. The woman in the house with him was able to escape quickly after the dispatcher she called realized the gas was likely deadly.

Officers responded Tuesday afternoon to the call in Grand Tower and found Heggie dead. Crews transported 67-year-old Eileen Hudgins to the hospital in stable condition.

  Comments