Metro-East News

She told police she knows her attacker. She asks why there hasn’t been an arrest.

Tiarra Boyd talks about attack

Tiarra Boyd was left with severe facial wounds after a confrontation in November.
Up Next
Tiarra Boyd was left with severe facial wounds after a confrontation in November.

A 22-year-old Cahokia woman told police she was brutally attacked by another woman Nov. 30 in East St. Louis, and wonders why no charges have been filed.

Tiarra Boyd identified her attacker to police as a woman whom she has known since childhood, and who is now a co-worker. She said she was raised by the young woman’s father after her own father died.

According to police, Boyd said she was leaving the building after returning a dump truck to a business where both women work when the other woman attacked her and a fight between the two ensued.

Boyd said numerous people were at the business and witnessed the fight, but no one tried to stop it. Then as Boyd was walking to her vehicle, the other woman hit her in her face with a close fist, and the two began to fight again, according to Boyd.

“She stole on me,” meaning she hit her without warning, Boyd said.

Boyd told police that when she arrived and walked passed the other woman, she did not say anything to her. Boyd said after the other woman started the fight, she was getting the best of the fight. The unnamed woman “grabbed a computer keyboard and hit her with it several times,” according to a police report.

“I grabbed a television remote and hit her back,” Boyd said. The fight ended, Boyd said, after a computer was knocked off the desk and broken. Thinking the fight between the two was over, Boyd said she was walking to her car and the other woman followed her out of the building yelling profanities.

So, the two engaged in another round. Boyd said she “felt blood streaming down her face and body and then she realized she had been cut.” As she held up her hands to defend herself, Boyd said she received several cuts on her hands and arms.

Boyd told police the woman had a weapon, possibly a box cutter. She said she didn’t know the suspect had a weapon and she said she didn’t feel her cutting her but noticed blood gushing everywhere. She suffered cuts to her face.

Boyd said she tried to chase the suspect in her car after the woman fled but a friend convinced her to go to the hospital instead. She lost a lot of blood and had to have a blood transfusion, she said. Police officers met Boyd at Touchette Regional Hospital. She suffered cuts to her face and body, left wrist, right hand, left forearm and top lip. Boyd said she received more than 30 stitches for her wounds.

Boys said she has heard little from the detective working on the case. Her mother, Melanie Boyd, said Tiarra shakes at night and has to see neurologists for nerve damage. She is also suffering from headaches.

I don’t understand why the police won’t do anything. She’s traveling from state to state and no warrant has been put out on her. I really want to know why she did this to me.

Tierra Boyd of East St. Louis

East St. Louis Detective Sgt. Gilda Johnson said the case was submitted to the state’s attorney’s office last Thursday for review.

St. Clair County State’s Attorney Brendan Kelly confirmed that his office has received the case. But, he said no charges were issued. “We asked East St. Louis for some additional investigation,” Kelly said.

Boyd said the girl, who is 21, has been posting on Facebook that she is traveling in and out of town. She said she saw her attacker in East St. Louis at the business last week and called police and they didn’t do anything about it.

Boyd she is distraught over the incident and is contemplating how she will navigate her life with the facial scars and other scars and pains she has endured. She said she understands why people sometimes take matters in their own hands.

“I don’t understand why the police won’t do anything. She’s traveling from state to state and no warrant has been put out on her. That’s why (some) people take stuff in their own hands. I have been trying to control my anger over this,” Boyd said. “I really want to know why she did this to me.”

Boyd said she still doesn’t know why she was attacked. “We never had a beef. It could be because I call her father ‘Daddy.’ He raised me and he is like a daddy to me. I love that man. She has always been mad at me over this. We fought one time when I was 12-years-old. I think it’s a jealousy thing,” Boyd said.

Melonie Boyd said her daughter is a quiet person and never gets into anything. She said she and her daughter feel unsafe with the attacker being on the loose.

“I want justice for my child,” she said. “She didn’t deserve what happened to her. I want the police to do their job and bring her to justice. I also want them to make sure we are safe.”

Carolyn P. Smith: 618-239-2503