Metro-East News

Glen Carbon man suffers burns after starting fire with gasoline

The man suffered severe burns in the explosion, authorities said.
The man suffered severe burns in the explosion, authorities said.

A 29-year-old Glen Carbon man suffered burns to his upper body Tuesday evening after he used gasoline to try to ignite a brush pile in his yard in the 3000 block of Ash Road.

Glen Carbon Fire Protection District Chief Ralph Well said Wednesday that the man suffered burns to his upper body and face after the brush pile quickly ignited shortly before 7:30 p.m. Tuesday. Well said the injuries were not life threatening, but the man’s condition was not available.

“He just did something that you shouldn’t do,” Well said.

Fortunately, Well said, the man moved his gas can away from the brush pile before lighting it.

  Comments