Metro-East News

Southern Illinois nursing home evacuated due to chlorine gas

A nursing home in Mount Vernon was evacuated after two employees were accidentally injured by chlorine gas.

According to WJBD, two employees at White Oaks Nursing Home in Mount Vernon were mixing bleach when they accidentally added hydrochlorine, creating a chlorine gas. No patients were nearby, but as a precaution, the 42 residents and staff members were evacuated during cleanup.

The two employees were treated for breathing in the toxic fumes. The nursing home was cleared and residents were returned later Thursday afternoon, according to WJBD.

Elizabeth Donald: 618-239-2507, @edonaldmedia
  Comments