Metro-East News

Overheated furnace starts fire at State Park home

Overheated furnace probable cause of house fire in State Park, IL

Herb Simmons Jr., Fire Chief of State Park Fire Department, said the fire probably started from an overheated furnace. No one was home during the fire and there were no injuries.
Up Next
Herb Simmons Jr., Fire Chief of State Park Fire Department, said the fire probably started from an overheated furnace. No one was home during the fire and there were no injuries.

Multiple agencies responded to a fire at a trailer in State Park on Wednesday afternoon that was started by an overheated furnace.

Just before 4 p.m., a neighbor called 9-1-1 to report smoke coming from a home in the 500 block of Clarence Street, State Park Fire Chief Herb Simmons Jr. said. When firefighters responded to the scene, they did not see any flames or smoke coming from the house.

Simmons said the assistant fire chief looked into the home as part of a check to see if anyone was inside and that’s when he observed heavy black smoke. Caseyville and Fairmont City fire departments were called for mutual aid to tend to the blaze.

No one was inside the trailer during the fire, but the floor and rear bedroom of the home were severely damaged, Simmons said. Though a cause had not been determined Wednesday night, Simmons predicted the furnace was to blame.

Hana Muslic: 618-239-2626, @h_muslic
  Comments