Metro-East News

OSHA investigating after 2,000-pound skids fall on, kill Granite City foundry worker

A 54-year-old Carrolton man died at a Granite City hospital after being seriously injured while working at American Steel Foundry.

Granite City Police said Roy L. Evans was seriously injured at work at the foundry at 1700 Walnut Street in Granite City at about 1 p.m. Thursday. He was taken to the Gateway Regional Medical Center, where he later died.

Evans was crushed by a stack of skids, an OSHA spokesman said. He said the skids are 2000-pound metal frames used to hold parts. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration is investigating the incident. The Madison County Coroner’s Office will conduct an autopsy later Friday.

“The Granite City Police Department would like to extend our condolences to the family of Mr. Evans for their loss,” a police statement stated.

Additional information about the incident was not immediately released.

The president of United Steel Workers Local 1063 said Evans was like family to other members.

“When you work alongside someone for a day or months and even years, you share stories about family and friends and become closer than you think,” said Antonio Wellmaker. “USW Local 1063 would like to express our deepest condolences to the family and friends of our brother Roy Evans.”

OSHA is still investigating the death of a man at Wastequip in East St. Louis. Kenneth J. Woltering, of Carlyle, was killed when a large trash dumpster he was working underneath fell.

OSHA’s Scott Allen, the regional director for public affairs and media relations, said the agency has up to six months to complete an investigation.

Related stories from Belleville News-Democrat

Reporter Mary Cooley follows the crimes and court goings-on in the metro-east; she has a special affinity for the oddities that make life in Southern Illinois interesting. Mary has a journalism degree from the University of Missouri at Columbia and previously worked as a copy editor at newspapers in the Southeast.