Metro-East News

Belleville family homeless after resident fell asleep with food on stove

Belleville fire crews responded to an apartment fire at 15 S. High Street at just after 8 p.m. Thursday.
Belleville fire crews responded to an apartment fire at 15 S. High Street at just after 8 p.m. Thursday. News-Democrat

A Belleville family is without a home after a kitchen fire Thursday.

The fire was one of two kitchen fires Thursday in Belleville.

The first fire happened at about 3:05 p.m. in the 900 block of East Main Street.

“The resident fell asleep after putting something on the stove to cook,” Belleville Fire Chief Tom Pour said. “The fire started to extend from the stove and burned the cabinets up.”

There was extensive smoke damage to the home, but the family escaped safely when the cook was awakened by a blaring smoke alarm.

Pour said the damage is estimated at about $20,000 and was extensive enough to require electricity to the residence to be turned off.

The family that lived in the home, which includes two adults and two children, is being assisted with essentials and temporary housing by the American Red Cross.

The second fire happened at 15 S. High Street at just after 8 p.m.

Pour said the fire department received a call about smoke billowing out of the window of a second-floor apartment above the business Sips and Splatters.

“A gentleman put a pot on the stove and then left,” Pour said. “That fire was contained to the stove, but it smoked the place up pretty good.”

The apartment where the second fire happened was still inhabitable after the flames were extinguished.

Contact reporter Scott Wuerz at swuerz@bnd.com or 618-239-2626. Follow him on Twitter: @scottwuerzBND.

  Comments