The Belleville News-Democrat was well-represented Thursday at the Illinois Associated Press print journalism awards ceremony in Bloomington.
News Editor Jason Koch received a first-place award in the headline writing category.
The photo department won three second-place awards. Winners were Steve Nagy in the feature photo category for his “treasure below” entry, and Derik Holtmann in the pictorial photo for his “stop snowing” entry, and picture story category for his photos of a White Castle wedding.
Finishing third were:
▪ Will Buss in the business writing category for his story on a Madison-based business that sells soil to major league baseball stadiums,
▪ Former reporter Daniel Kelley and current Assistant City News Editor Jamie Forsythe in the public service category for coverage of legal settlements around St. Clair County by local taxing districts,
▪ Joe Ostermeier and David Wilhelm won third place in the sports breaking news category for their coverage of the St. Louis Cardinals defeating the Los Angeles Dodgers in the 2014 National League Division in four game,
▪ Nagy in the sports feature photo category for a tennis photo,
▪ and Holtmann in the spot news photo category for a water main leak during the winter.
The awards were presented at the Bloomington-Normal Marriott Hotel.