‘Meet Me at The Muny’ in St. Louis will have shortened season due to coronavirus
For 101 summers, seven generations have made “Meet Me at The Muny” a St. Louis metropolitan area tradition. However, with the uncertainties surrounding the ongoing public coronavirus health crisis, The Muny has announced a reduced line-up and tentative opening if they are able to mount a 102nd season in late July.
On June 8, they plan to announce if they will proceed with a five-show season that would start July 20 in Forest Park. If it is not possible, then they will move the musicals to the 2021 season.
The shortened 2020 timeline would be as follows:
- July 20-26: “Chicago”
- July 29-Aug. 4: “The Sound of Music”
- Aug. 7-13: “On Your Feet!”
- Aug. 15-21: “Smokey Joe’s Café”
- Aug. 24-30: “Seven Brides for Seven Brothers”
Disney and Cameron Mackintosh’s “Mary Poppins” and “Sweeney Todd,” the other two musicals of the original seven-show line-up, are being moved to the 2021 season.
The regular seven-show season had been scheduled to open June 15 and run through Aug. 16.
The decision to continue planning and moving forward with a modified season was made based on all available information from national and local health experts and officials. The Muny will continue to monitor the situation with the best interest of the community in mind, Muny administrators said Monday.
Regarding the COVID-19 global pandemic, the states of Missouri and Illinois are both under a stay-at-home order to help prevent the spread. That also involves recommendations on social distancing, wearing masks and a mandate gatherings of more than 10 people are not allowed.
The state of Missouri’s order will end May 4, but both St. Louis Mayor Lyda Krewson and St. Louis County Executive Sam Page have extended the lockdown. The city order, where The Muny is located, is indefinite but will be revisited May 15.
The Muny is the nation’s largest outdoor musical theatre and seats about 11,000. As one of the premier institutions in musical theatre, they usually produce seven musicals each year and welcome more than 350,000 theatregoers over a nine-week season. Their mission, continued since establishing a home in Forest Park in 1918, is to be accessible to all.
Muny Managing Director Kwofe Coleman said June 8 was the latest date they could decide, given the preparations for the season, and necessary contracts, if July 20 could happen.
“Our main concern is that everyone is safe and healthy. We have a responsibility to manage and mitigate as much as possible. Our seasons are part of the fabric of St. Louis, and the tradition is a big important part of our summers, but we have to look at the bigger scope of this. This has affected everyone on a global level,” Coleman said.
“We’re all trying to do what’s right, those who entertain for a living, while the community deals with the reality. Their health and well-being is paramount. This is an ongoing challenge that the industry is facing,” he said. “We clearly could not open June 15.”
Coleman said the five shows on the roster were the top vote-getters in the annual audience survey. The creative teams have been working since earlier this year putting plans in place.
“We are able to adjust and pivot. We all are trying to re-open the best way that we can,” he said, acknowledging information seems to change daily.
Muny Chairman of the Board Louis A. Cella said he hoped the situation continues to improve so everyone may gather to celebrate Muny Magic once again.
“Since early March, The Muny team has been exploring every possibility that would give us the best chance of presenting a season for our audience so long as the environment becomes safe and healthy enough to do so,” Cella said.
A Muny season would be good news on multiple fronts
Muny President and CEO Denny Reagan said ultimately the guidance of health and government officials will determine if this is possible.
“We’re hopeful that by late July we will be far enough on the other side of this situation to have the chance to share a few nights under the stars together at The Muny,” Reagan said.
Muny Artistic Director and Executive Producer Mike Isaacson said he is grateful for the continued faith in The Muny from the creative teams and the artists.
“In this incredibly challenging time, it has been so gratifying how our subscribers, donors and friends have been telling us how much they hope they will get their Muny season,” Isaacson said.
Coleman said if the Muny can have a season this summer that means the world is moving forward, and that will be good news.
“People can look forward to a couple nights under the stars, and if we’re able to get out, then that means we can really use a couple nights under the stars,” he said.
Info on season tickets, how to contact The Muny
Coleman said current season ticket holders will be contacted personally with more information regarding their options and next steps. New season tickets for the five-show package are available now.
Season tickets will be mailed in early June. Subscriber exchange and priority pre-sale will be June 22-28. Single show tickets go on sale June 29.
As shelter in place and gathering restrictions continue to evolve, walk-up service to The Muny Box Office in Forest Park is currently unavailable. However, tickets can be purchased online at www.MetroTix.com.
To stay connected virtually, and to receive the latest updates, please follow The Muny on their various social media channels, including Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
The Muny marketing team has been engaging fans on social media, with a Live Cast Party every Monday night on Facebook and a Jingle Jam series celebrating the 25th anniversary of the commercial jingle “Meet Me at the Muny, The Muny in Forest Park.”
For more information, visit muny.org.
This story was originally published April 27, 2020 at 4:22 PM.