Metro-East News

Police receive tip about ‘possibility’ of protests, looting at Greenmount Crossing businesses

Police received a tip Saturday afternoon about the possibility of “demonstrations and looting” at the Greenmount Crossing shopping complex in Shiloh, according to authorities.

And on Saturday night, some businesses there had closed early. As of Sunday afternoon, the businesses were operating as usual.

The Shiloh Police Department said in a statement around 8 p.m. Saturday that it received information about social media posts “indicating the possibility of demonstrations and looting at the Target and Greenmount Crossing shopping complex in Shiloh.”

The department informed the businesses and sent officers to the area as a precaution, according to the statement.

Officer Christopher Flynn said that he was on scene Saturday and did not see any signs of protesting and that there were no protests elsewhere in Shiloh.

There have been protests across the nation, including in the metro-east, in response to George Floyd’s death in Minneapolis. Derek Chauvin, a white Minneapolis police officer, was fired and charged with third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter in the death of Floyd, who was black.

Chauvin was seen in a bystander’s cellphone video putting his knee on Floyd’s neck before Floyd died.

Shopping complex businesses close early

Dierbergs posted a sign Saturday that read “Dierbergs Green Mount Crossing is Currently Closed. Sorry for the Inconvenience.” Target’s operating hours stated it would be open until 9 p.m. Saturday, but at 8:30 p.m., the parking lot was empty and no people could be seen inside from the front door.

Parking lots were also empty in front of Michaels and Dollar General in the complex.

However, a drive-thru near the shopping complex, Freddy’s Frozen Custard & Steakburgers, was busy with customers.

There was no large police presence at the complex at 8:30 p.m. Flynn said the Shiloh Police Department did not force any businesses to close.

“We notified them of the possibility of protests. They made their own determination,” he said.

Earlier on Saturday, there were two protests in Belleville. Police said one of the protests was peaceful. But people in the second protest were asked to leave because of complaints they stood in the road and on the fountain in the city’s Public Square and shouted at people eating in restaurant’s outdoor seating.

Senior Editor Todd Eschman contributed information to this report.

This story was originally published May 30, 2020 at 9:08 PM.

Lexi Cortes
Belleville News-Democrat
The metro-east is home for investigative reporter Lexi Cortes. She was raised in Granite City and Edwardsville and graduated from Southern Illinois University Edwardsville in 2014. Lexi joined the Belleville News-Democrat in 2014 and has won multiple state awards for her investigative and community service reporting. Support my work with a digital subscription
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER